Cheap Photomicrographs

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
edited December 6, 2008 in Holy Macro
What is cheap?

How about $8.00 USD and stuff that I already had?

The new microscope lens was $7.50 and I also used a black "Foamies" sheet at around 40 cents or so. Those were the main expenses.

Here's what it looks like all together:
186516642-L.jpg

186516734-L.jpg

... and a crop of just the micro lens on the end of a tube:
186516776-L.jpg

The inverted glass jar is holding a few sprinkles of salt. Here is a "stacked" image from the lens (from 3 original images.)
186516872-L.jpg

A link to the full-res image (1.5 MB file size):
http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/photos/186516872-D.jpg

This is an image of some of the pixels of a Mag 17" CRT monitor (the dot mask and phosphor dots), also shot with this lens:
186517344-L.jpg

The full res image is here (6.5 MB file size):
http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/photos/186517344-D.jpg

If there is enough interest, I will do a mini construction tutorial. Any takers?
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Woah. eek7.gif This is something I would never think of to do. How very cool! clap.gif

The abstract possibilities abound. mwink.gif Tute! Tute!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
    edited August 21, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Tute! Tute!

Thanks Llywellyn, I'm thinking on it.

Plus this is a "works in progress". Notice the blue rubber bands currently holding the tube onto the camera.
    ziggy53
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 22, 2007
    Is there another short lens on the Canon body underneath that foamies tube?

Has to be, right? Or at least an inverting ring to hold down the contacts? Otherwise the shutter wouldn't open... headscratch.gif utterly intrigued. You, Ziggy, are a Mr Wizard!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited August 22, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Is there another short lens on the Canon body underneath that foamies tube?

Has to be, right? Or at least an inverting ring to hold down the contacts? Otherwise the shutter wouldn't open... headscratch.gif utterly intrigued. You, Ziggy, are a Mr Wizard!

Just the one lens, an Achromatic Objective. This basic setup should be adaptable to most cameras, maybe even Nikons. thumb.gif

Thanks Doc,
    ziggy53
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    What is cheap?

If there is enough interest, I will do a mini construction tutorial. Any takers?
    Wow! thumb.gif
    This setup puts the 400-odd bucks I just paid for a 100mm macro into a perspective :-) bowdown.gif
    How on Earth did you focus this thing? headscratch.gif
    Do you mind sketching a dissection of your miracle tube! mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Nice one Ziggy :)
    What power objective lens did you use ?
    Brian V.
    edited August 22, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Wow! thumb.gif
    This setup puts the 400-odd bucks I just paid for a 100mm macro into a perspective :-) bowdown.gif
    How on Earth did you focus this thing? headscratch.gif
    Do you mind sketching a dissection of your miracle tube! mwink.gif

Thanks Nik! It's really a very simple project and I was surprised how quickly it came together (compared to some of my projects.)

Stay tuned.
    ziggy53
    edited August 22, 2007
    Nice one Ziggy :)
    What power objective lens did you use ?
    Brian V.

Hi Brian! That's the great part, you don't need much power using only an objective lens.

Most microscopes create a virtual image that requires our eye to observe. Using a camera body allows a "real" image to form and a much greater relative magnifications without the ocular/eyepiece. (I am betting you know this so I am explaining for everyone else.)

I was wondering about creating a more portable and inexpensive microscopic imagery apparatus for some time. This is just the latest in a line of experiments.
    ziggy53
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    What is cheap?

The new microscope lens was $7.50 and I also used a black "Foamies" sheet at around 40 cents or so. Those were the main expenses.
    Here's what it looks like all together:
    ... and a crop of just the micro lens on the end of a tube:
    The inverted glass jar is holding a few sprinkles of salt. Here is a "stacked" image from the lens (from 3 original images.)
    A link to the full-res image (1.5 MB file size):
    http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/photos/186516872-D.jpg
    This is an image of some of the pixels of a Mag 17" CRT monitor (the dot mask and phosphor dots), also shot with this lens:
    The full res image is here (6.5 MB file size):
    http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/photos/186517344-D.jpg

Wow Ziggy that is quite amazing :D
    I like the shapes found in the salt.

Your quite the little Scientist aren't you clap.gif
    Thanks for sharing ....... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Really clever & inexspensive way to go about it. Have to keep this little trick in mind. Michael
    Michael
    edited August 22, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Wow Ziggy that is quite amazing :D
    I like the shapes found in the salt.

Your quite the little Scientist aren't you clap.gif
    Thanks for sharing ....... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy! I am planning to make this available to teachers as a free "how to" and yes, I love simple discovery and much of that has to do with science.
    ziggy53
    edited August 22, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    Really clever & inexspensive way to go about it. Have to keep this little trick in mind. Michael

Thanks Micheal. There is more to come so stick around.
    ziggy53
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Cool shots ziggy eek7.gif
    here is shot of RGB with reverse lens on my H5
    It is really cool world out there :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited August 22, 2007
    Cool shots ziggy eek7.gif
    here is shot of RGB with reverse lens on my H5
    It is really cool world out there :D

Thanks Awais! It's harder than it looks, isn't it.

BTW, I love what you did in:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=69223

(I just haven't posted there yet)

Best,
    ziggy53
    edited August 22, 2007
    I'm a little pressed for time now, but I'll try to get the information for a mini tutorial of the construction little by little.

First the lens for the project:

http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l1867d.html

It is indeed listed at $7.50, but since it's a "surplus" site, there is no way of knowing how many they have in stock. I have to assume when they're gone, they're gone.

Note that this objective is designed for the JIS microscope tubes, and a tube length of 170mm, slightly longer than the DIN specification of 160mm. In this case the JIS designed optics should be a slightly better choice in matching the tube I used.

The lens is also only rated at 4x, which is not a very high power, but trust me, you don't need anything higher for many interesting objects, and focus and exposure are greatly complicated by a higher power.

Tomorrow I'll have more on the tube that holds the lens, and why I chose it.
    ziggy53
    edited August 23, 2007
    At some point, I just know folks are going to want to know, "What is the magnification of this setup?"

To start, here is a US dime, shot with the 4x microscope objective, scaled for the Net but not cropped:

187064648-L.jpg

You can tell it is a fairly high magnification because little of the dime is showing.

A US dime is rather a nice target because it has about the same diameter as the vertical height of a crop 1.6 sensor. That means, if you fill the image top to bottom with a US dime, you are at a "true" macro for that system. (A US quarter is about right for a true macro on a full-frame 35mm based system.)

Here is a "true" 1:1 macro (close enough anyway) of the same dime with the approximate view of the 4x objective inside the yellow circle:

187064700-L.jpg

Here is a bunch of those circles, lined up to show approximately how many fit in the frame:
    187064681-L.jpg

I think it is safe to say that this setup is producing images of approximately 7 to 7.5 times "true" macro for this system, or about 7:1 in macro terms.
    ziggy53
    edited August 23, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    At some point, I just know folks are going to want to know, "What is the magnification of this setup?"
    I think it is safe to say that this setup is producing images of approximately 7 to 7.5 times "true" macro for this system, or about 7:1 in macro terms.
    Nice! Can't wait for more :-) thumb.gif
    edited August 23, 2007
    Tube construction, 9 images.
    Here are the basic instructions relating to the tube construction.

First are a couple of images showing the tube and lens, front-ward then rear-ward:
    187147042-L.jpg

187147057-L.jpg

This is a view of the components of the tube and the lens itself:
    187147124-L.jpg

The tube is simply a container that powdered drink mix comes in. Inside the container are 6 tubs of the powder, like the one in the foreground.
    187147080-L.jpg

Strip off the label and you are left with a cap and a cylinder which is closed at one end. The length of the tube is just over 170mm, which is fine for my needs.
    187147099-L.jpg

The closed end of the cylinder needs to have a hole drilled in it slightly smaller than the diameter of the lens. In this case a 3/4" spade bit worked great.
    187147141-L.jpg

The inner surfaces of the tube need to be covered to reduce and control internal reflections and stray external light. I measured the length of the tube and cut a strip off of the black foamy sheet. Then I wrapped that around the tube and marked where it overlapped, cutting short because I needed the strip to fit the interior. You will need to measure and cut for the length and circumference of your tube. I used a rotary paper cutter to slice the sheets.
    187147154-L.jpg

I also cut a piece the diameter of the inside of the tube and created a hole for the lens to poke through. This "donut" shaped piece should go into the tube first, then the piece which flocks the sides.
    187147033-L.jpg

That's pretty much all there is to the tube. The lens is press fit and screwed into the end with the hole.
    187147042-L.jpg

All that's left is mounting the tube to the camera, and that I am still working on.

Later,
    ziggy53
    edited August 23, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Here are the basic instructions relating to the tube construction.
    Later,
    I love it! clap.gif
    edited August 23, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I love it! clap.gif

Thanks Nik.

Once I get an appropriate mount figured out, I'll share that too. I'm working on something to allow a fairly portable solution that doesn't weigh too much or become intrusive for the camera.

My thought right now is to use a camera body cap, punch out the middle to allow the image to pass and mount the tube directly to that.
    ziggy53
    edited August 24, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Thanks Nik.

Once I get an appropriate mount figured out, I'll share that too. I'm working on something to allow a fairly portable solution that doesn't weigh too much or become intrusive for the camera.

My thought right now is to use a camera body cap, punch out the middle to allow the image to pass and mount the tube directly to that.

I was thinking of that, too. Body caps seem to be quite effective for such DIY projects :-)
  • banjonbanjon Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Very cool. :) It's got me thinking of things to try.
    Thanks for the tutorial.

It reminds me of days I worked with a microscope inspecting circuit boards for IBM. I think we looked at everything under those scopes. Check out an X-acto blade... razor sharp is not always a fine line. Amazing at the jagged edges. Cassette J-cards and CD inlays (inserts) are cool to look at - the dot colored printing.

Hmm.. Im not sure if you can see the pits on a CD with a microscope. You may need a stronger lens to see it. I don't know what they used to use at work, but you can see the pits if magnified high enough.

Rich
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Arise from the ashes
    Alright, so I'm raising this thread from the dead. Well hey why not, Ziggy linked it to me today.

Planning on doing this DIY as soon as all the parts come in. Just for those wondering, that surplus site still has the lens he used and it is still just $7.50.

I also think that the body cap idea is Great for ataching it to the camera. I got a pack of 5 official canon body caps off ebay this afternoon.

The only thing I still need to pick up is the tube but I'm not worried as I can get that at any grocery store mwink.gif

This should be fun! wings.gif

Ziggy, did you ever finish the project and attach the lens to something to make it easier to hook up/use?
    ~ Lisa
    edited June 4, 2008
    Just a note for the future reference: Surplus Shed is VERY slow at shipping. Almost a week after my order and they are just shipping it out today via USPS. Silly.

Suprised I actually got the ebay order (body caps) before the non-ebay orderne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    << My thought right now is to use a camera body cap, punch out the middle to allow the image to pass and mount the tube directly to that. >>

Would an alternative - for those ppl that have them - be to use extension tubes and a length of pipe insulation - to effect a good 'push fit' - without damaging the surface of the ext. tubes.

If can't get suitable dia insulation ... something that does a similar job - like loo roll / kitchen towel / foam plastic etc wrapped around a suitable dia former to match ext tube dia?

pp

btw - a similar setup :)
    http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2825
    edited June 16, 2008
    << My thought right now is to use a camera body cap, punch out the middle to allow the image to pass and mount the tube directly to that. >>

Would an alternative - for those ppl that have them - be to use extension tubes and a length of pipe insulation - to effect a good 'push fit' - without damaging the surface of the ext. tubes.

If can't get suitable dia insulation ... something that does a similar job - like loo roll / kitchen towel / foam plastic etc wrapped around a suitable dia former to match ext tube dia?

pp

btw - a similar setup :)
    http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2825

I did Ziggy's project yesterday and I used a body cap to attach to the camera. It fit perfectly inside the tube, nice and tight too. Works great.
    ~ Lisa
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Sounds good - now we'll be looking forward to some hi-res shots of cross-sections of dragon scales :)

pp
    edited June 16, 2008
    Sounds good - now we'll be looking forward to some hi-res shots of cross-sections of dragon scales :)

pp

rolleyes1.gif yeah!
    ~ Lisa
    edited June 16, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I did Ziggy's project yesterday and I used a body cap to attach to the camera. It fit perfectly inside the tube, nice and tight too. Works great.

I'm so proud of you. These simple projects are so enabling and empowering, and you improved on the original. clap.gifthumb
    ziggy53
    edited June 17, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:

Pikchas? ne_nau.gifmwink.gif