Jordan gets flashed.

sonny_csonny_c Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited August 23, 2007 in People
Jordan and I met for lunch last Friday. During our fantastic feast we both noticed the sky and all the gorgeous clouds. It was a prefect day to test flash photography and capture some beautiful skies. About an hour into the shoot the sun was beating down and we decided to search for some shade. About this time we noticed the weather changed and the sky was now filled with ominous looking clouds. WHAT FUN!

My goal during the shoot was to create mood lighting instead of be so technical and then post process accordingly. hope you enjoy. Thanks to Jordan for being a good subject and a better teacher.

***No LucisArt was used in the making of these pics.

1.)
14&file=msc_0825-ps01_large.jpg

2.)
14&file=msc_0832-ps02_large.jpg

3.)
14&file=msc_0812-ps01_large.jpg

4.)
14&file=msc_0827-ps01_large.jpg

5.)
14&file=msc_0836-ps01_large.jpg

Comments

• photobanksphotobanks Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    I love that first image... great background sky and brilliant pose by Jordan!!
    Michael Banks

www.banksy.me.uk - main website
    http://galleries.banksy.me.uk - smugmug site
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 22, 2007
    You overdid it with the dodging, especially in the second picture, but other than that, a great idea. Work on the execution, it's good, but not perfect yet.
    The pictures are not my cup of tea (now if Jordan was a girl ... :D ), but they are very well done.
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    I like #1 very interesting shot and the sky looks really cool =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • sonny_csonny_c Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    I'm a sucker for a cloudy day. That's one of the reason I take my camera with me every I go.:D

Juze - I did not use any burn/dodge tool. It's all standard Photoshop Filters, but they are the seldomly used ones.
    edited August 22, 2007
    I think you're on to something here! These are great. Very over-the-top, but in an interesting way. I especially like #1. The clouds were great. thumb.gif
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I think you're on to something here! These are great. Very over-the-top, but in an interesting way. I especially like #1. The clouds were great. thumb.gif

Ditto on #1. Nice balance between the guy and and the sky. The PP seems to be just right due to the power of the sky.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 22, 2007
    Nice balancing of your naturally illuminated sky and flashed foreground.

Would you care to explain how you did this. How you triggered your flash, and arranged the light balance so carefully?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Yes, PLEASE share your secrets! I'd love to be able to create dramatic pictures like this. Especially like the 1st shot. iloveyou.gif
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • sonny_csonny_c Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    By request I'll share my set-up.

Gear:
    • 1DIIn with Sigma 20mm f/1.8
    • Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 on camera
    • 580ex on tripod
    • 420ex on tripod
    I tried a few different techniques:
    1. I kept the sun to back of the subject for rim lighting effect. Then used one or two flashes for fill lighting.
    2. With the sun on the left or right side of the subject I'd use one flash on the opposite of the subject for fill.
    Settings for photos diplayed above:
    1. Select Manual shooting mode and Auto WB.
    2. Set flashes to slave and high speed sync.
    3. iso 200, aperture f/4.0, shutter speeds 1/1600 - 1/5000, and spot metering.
    4. manually expose on the whitest cloud in the sky or expose for blue in the sky. Select to your own personal taste.
    5. Next place the AF point on the darkest part of the subject's face, press shutter button half way to focus, then fully depress shutter button to capture image. TTL will automatically compensate for the dark part of the face and fire flash(es) accordingly.
    6. You will have to make many adjustments. The distance of the flash(es) to subject, flash compensation (sometimes 1-3 stops up or down depending on your lighting style), and cloud coverage will almost certainly be different by the minute...so you'll have to move fast. This is where an assisant comes in handy. Also try to vary the height of the flashes. A flash placed on a tripod and held high above the subject can simulate the sun.
    This was my first attempt ever at this type of lighting set-up. So I may have left out a step or two, but it is the basic idea. Also keep in mind, I shot with these setting specifically with a certain post-processing in mind. I was going for a dark mood type of effect. You'll have to experiment on your own and adjust your technique to fit your post-processing workflow.

I would really be interested to see what effect y'all come up with and please feel free to post your photos in this thread.

Hope this helps,
    -Sonny
    edited August 22, 2007
    Great info, Sonny.

And distinctive, super dramatic images. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • NappaloniaNappalonia Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    sonny_c wrote:
    It's all standard Photoshop Filters, but they are the seldomly used ones.

Nice work, I like most of them. Which filters did you use?
    http://nappalonia.smugmug.com/gallery/580776

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    20D :clap
    Canon
    18-55
    85 1.8 :wink
    Tamron
    28-75 2.8
    Sigma
    70-300 DG APO Macro
    30 1.4:thumb
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    These are pretty neat thumb.gif 1 and 3 are my vavorite in terms of composition, i do too love the dramatic effect. Good going clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8