Options

Reflection of the soul

johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
edited February 26, 2005 in Wildlife
This is a shot I took yesterday... This pic is upside down; it's a reflection of the tree in the water. I know I can do some things with this in PS, but PS scares me. Any ideas?
reflection-small.jpg

peace.
johno~
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
johno's gallery

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    johno wrote:
    This is a shot I took yesterday... This pic is upside down; it's a reflection of the tree in the water. I know I can do some things with this in PS, but PS scares me. Any ideas?

peace.
    johno~
    Hey Johno,

The shot looks pretty cool, great color. What else do you want to do with it?

PS can be scary when you're starting with it but remember you can always undo your mistakes. Just open the pic as a copy and fool around with it. Experiment and do all kinds of strange things to it. Thats one way to learn PS. Usually you will find out that less is more.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 25, 2005
    oh wow, this is so freaky cool. if you hadn't said it was a reflection... well my my!

I'm trying to determine where the water stops? Is the edge visible in the shot? Is it where the horizintal branch is at the bottom of the picture?
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    oh wow, this is so freaky cool. if you hadn't said it was a reflection... well my my!

I'm trying to determine where the water stops? Is the edge visible in the shot? Is it where the horizintal branch is at the bottom of the picture?

Yes Angelo, you can see the edge. Look at the log and start moving up. you will see the reflection start.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    johno wrote:
    Yes Angelo, you can see the edge. Look at the log and start moving up. you will see the reflection start.

peace.
    johno~
    Fantastic! Just enough ripple in the picture to make one think, .."wha-da???"

I wouldn't tell people... leave it for them to figure out. Fantastic!
  • Options
    itscriticalitscritical Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    I took a picture like that the other day also and i was just tickled by the fact that it looks like a real tree not a reflection and i think that you could maybe leave the picture how it is. awesomerolleyes1.gif
    :huh Philip

philipbaack.com
  • Options
    KeithAlanKKeithAlanK Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Johno, it's a great reflection and all, and amazing for the quality it retained after bouncing off the water, but as a composition without knowing it's a reflection it is only ho-hum...a centered tree that's out of focus.
    For non-photographers this won't do much.
    I would put it back in context in the photo with the real tree, if you have it, so the amazing reflection works for the betterment of the whole rather than standing alone as a good but not great tree photo.
    Keith
    :bigbs
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    KeithAlanK wrote:
    Johno, it's a great reflection and all, and amazing for the quality it retained after bouncing off the water, but as a composition without knowing it's a reflection it is only ho-hum...a centered tree that's out of focus.
    For non-photographers this won't do much.
    I would put it back in context in the photo with the real tree, if you have it, so the amazing reflection works for the betterment of the whole rather than standing alone as a good but not great tree photo.
    Keith
    The tree is OOF? Where?