Very proud Dad!

VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited August 23, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
My 16 year old Daughter won 4 blue ribons out of 5 photos submitted in the Franklin County Fair photo contest! I keep trying to encourage her to compete in the LPS contest... I'm very proud of her! below are the winning images...

B&W
126376276-M.jpg

Animal
184003037-M.jpg

Portrait
165587806-M.jpg

Floral
162972902-M.jpg

This last one she cropped befor printing to off center the flower...

Thought I would share...:barb :barb

Winston

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    My 16 year old Daughter won 4 blue ribons out of 5 photos submitted in the Franklin County Fair photo contest! I keep trying to encourage her to compete in the LPS contest... I'm very proud of her! below are the winning images...

B&W
    Animal
    Portrait
    Floral
    This last one she cropped befor printing to off center the flower...

Thought I would share...wings.gifwings.gif
    Winston

Hey there Winston,
    Congratulations to your daughter on her Photograpy clap.gif

Your allowed to brag when your a parent hehehe rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for sharing your joy ...... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there Winston,
    Congratulations to your daughter on her Photograpy clap.gif

Your allowed to brag when your a parent hehehe rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for sharing your joy ...... Skippy :D

Wow those are gorgeous images! clap.gif

I of course am quite fond of the portrait. What great use of light, color and context. I keep looking and looking at it, there's so much detail and setting to take in.

The last one is partcularly interesting. Without the stem and leaves, it would look like a contemporary vector illustration. Love the colors and she really has a knack for DOF.And so wonderful she's received some validating awards for her work. Well deserved.

It has to be so gratifying as a father to see your child have an interest in, let alone such talent for, a hobby of yours. iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Congratulations to your daughter!!! The praying mantis photo is absolutely fantastic. She's got a great eye. thumb.gif
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Fantastic! Looks like you may have found your retirement program!

Congratulations!
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Oh great Winston, first Felicia is out there scouting for new talent and now you are breeding it. Will the rest of us ever have a chance!?!

Seriously, that is awesome! I love seeing creativity being passed from one generation to the next. Congratulations to both you and your daughter!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Oh great Winston, first Felicia is out there scouting for new talent and now you are breeding it. Will the rest of us ever have a chance!?!

Some cool shots and creativity.....but

I believe in another thread, Andy stated "18 and over" to enter the LPS contest.

OK JT, you can relax now, she has 2 more years to go..then watch out..Laughing.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Thanks everyone! I am very proud of her... Hoofclix PM'ed me concerning the fine print and it is the case that one has to be 18 yr old to compete, which is probably a good thing since she is so talented...:D If you were worried you can rest easy now...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Winston
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    I like the B&W photo and really like the mantis picture. It almost looks like that mantis is doing some interior decorating there.
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Youth Images at State Fairs
    My 16 year old Daughter won 4 blue ribons out of 5 photos submitted in the Franklin County Fair photo contest!
    Thought I would share...wings.gifwings.gif

Winston

Winston,

I just finished a stint as a volunteer for the NM State Fair Photo Judging contest... (volunteer = he who reads out a number, a title, places an image on a lit easel, then learns as the judges provide their individual wisdoms...)

While we had over 800 images, only a small percent were from youth! Having looked at your daughters images, she would have placed in the top few.

I feel that youth photography, with some mentoring is important. Our club tries on this, but it certainly could use more emphasis...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Thanks everyone! I am very proud of her... Hoofclix PM'ed me concerning the fine print and it is the case that one has to be 18 yr old to compete, which is probably a good thing since she is so talented...:D If you were worried you can rest easy now...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Winston

Quite actually, I was deathly a'feared of this new development in the LPS rift, and not having time to check the facts, thought I'd put the investigation to Visual himself in case I was just plain rawng!!! :yikes
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    You have every reason to be proud, Winston! Congratulations to your daughter for all of her hard work!
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com