Options

Does he have what it takes...

sardellisardelli Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited August 27, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
OK, I'm an IT person by profession but I'm starting to do some professional portrait and wedding work. I feel like I've pretty much run the course in IT and I'm coasting, making a good living off my 15+ years of experience. But I am frankly bored. So I keep flirting with the idea of earnestly trying to do photography full time (realizing it may take 3 or more years to build up the reputation, client base, etc). So I ask you all, what does it take to make it professionally doing social photography (portraits, events, weddings)? What skills, personal talents (besides the obvious), character qualities, etc. I'm trying to keep this question as open as possible.

Bob

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    I just recently got interested in doing something more serious then just snapping. I've been snapping for years, but i want to take it to the next level. I think ones you start experimenting and shooting everything and take your camera everywhere you go, you will realize how addicting it becomes. You will discover totally different world, you will see something that no one else might see, especially people who have no clue about photography. You will find your nitch and what interest you the most, what is your passion? I was somewhat interested in wild life and still do, but i find myself progressing to people photography, i find it simply amazing about discoveries people emotions, the simplicity andcomplications of it, and much much more. So pick up your camera and start shooting. thumb.gif
    I'm very outgoing and i find myself to start conversation pretty much with anyone. Just be honest with yourself and people you photograph. It all comes with time. Technical skills are essential in my opinion as well, knowledge of editing software, we live in a digital world. Read books, talk to people, and you'll find yourself ahead of the game. Good luck!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Take this FWIW since I'm not a pro.
    I have read of (and know) many photogs out there that attempt to go pro. They buy up all these cool things, build a site (including keywords for search engines), spend years on the perfect business card, then somehow expect the business to roll in because they are now a 'pro'.

The professional photographer in todays market is a professional salesman or saleswoman. Period.

So besides the obvious it's sales networking. Once the ball gets rolling, you'll get word of mouth advertising. This is great, but DON"T stop selling your craft. Unless your work is RED HOT. Word of mouth as a statistical average only carries a business 3 years max then your back in the red.

Please note that you can sell wheile shooting though. Talk to your clients when shooting them. Let them know about these great ideas you have, get them excited w/ you about getting their pictures taken and they will walk off the shoot talking about you for a long time.

There are always exceptions to any rule. W/ the advent of prosumer priced digital camera equipment though. THe market has been SATURATED w/ photogs that are trying to go pro. If your going to do it. Get your eggs lined up, pull the trigger, and don't look back.

Best of luck to you on your possibly new and sometimes very scary (but worth it) endeavor.

-Jon
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    it never ceases to amaze me how many photographers i come across that are/were veteran IT guys. i've been in it for about 13 years or so myself and still have a full time job in mgmt, but i shoot weddings on the weekends. helps to pay for the equipment and hopefully my next new car (big 'ol yukon xl) :D
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    In your job now, do you have health insurance, 401-k, and a paid vacation along with paid sick leave?

When you work for yourself you have to take these thing into consideration.

When you don't work while vacattioning you don't get paid. You also can't call in sick and still get paid. Health insurance is extremely expensive, though some are lucky enough to be able to be put on a working spouse's health plan. My job matches 401k contribution 50% of up to 6% and also offers a 3% of my salary in a pension plan.

With all that, and trying to stay near what I make salary wise means I will need to be very, very, very successful. I thought about this also. I'm also an IT professional.:D Though I was also a nutritionist for years before that. I'm actually due for another career change.:D

I think I would of been more apt to try this years ago when I was younger and was not at the earning range I'm in now. It's a tough call. I decided against it. Call me a chicken, but one deciding factor was I do not want to do weddings. Ever. So I just threw one of the major money makers out the door.

You should think about getting a subscription to Rangefinder magazine and look into becoming a member of WPPI if you're truly serious. Best of luck.thumb.gif
  • Options
    gXyZOdgXyZOd Registered Users Posts: 11 Beginner grinner
    edited August 26, 2007
    dangin wrote:
    it never ceases to amaze me how many photographers i come across that are/were veteran IT guys. i've been in it for about 13 years or so myself and still have a full time job in mgmt, but i shoot weddings on the weekends. helps to pay for the equipment and hopefully my next new car (big 'ol yukon xl) :D

Here is another IT guy just starting to do the same rolleyes1.gif
    Photography is becoming more and more IT...so its quite natural that we get caught in it. Its just another format of data!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    It would take ruining my favourite hobby. I respect my leisure time way too much to do that to it.

Just one mans opinion...not law.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Its a great question, and mainly figure what you have to charge and how many weddings/events you need to have to make your same income that you do now, including all the benefits. Once you do that I think you may realize just how much you need to build up your business before you make the jump.

Also be prepared to significantly slow down shooting for fun or enjoyment. I know a number of photos who do weddings and they rarely pick up a camera and shoot for enjoyment. Its no longer a hobby for them, its work.

I try and force myself to shoot a variety of things even at lower fees, to change it up and so I won't get in the rut I see many others in.

Like Khaos said, the older you get and more income you have the greater risk, starting your own business is.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me