Options

Gloves & Scissors

DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
edited August 26, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
An effort I made a little while back. Would appreciate your thoughts.
I'm pretty novice at working B&W's but I'll get there. :D
Do you like one better than the other? Thanks in advance. :bow
I love that little guy! Michael

BA_1437.jpg

BA_1373.jpg
Michael

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    An effort I made a little while back. Would appreciate your thoughts.
    I'm pretty novice at working B&W's but I'll get there. :D
    Do you like one better than the other? Thanks in advance. bowdown.gif
    I love that little guy! Michael

Hi there DaddyO ....... looks like you processed these shots differently.
    The first one is softer with less noise, sort of has a smoother look.

Also your B&W converstion is darker on the first image.

Second Shot is more shades of Grey, and looks to have a bit of grain to it.

I prefer the second shot with the wood floor as the background,
    to me it suites the tools of the trade so to speak better than the fluffy blanket used on the first shot.

Andy has a great little Tutorial on B&W conversions nod.gif
    Check out the link at the Dgrin Tutorial Section below.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1126557

You did very well with these converstions, I think once you see Andy's Tutorial you will be surprised at the results you can get too thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing ........ Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Nice photos i liked the 2nd placement of gloves is nice
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2007
    My thanks for your comments and taking the time.thumb.gif

Appreciate the link Skippy. I'll check it out. Hopefully I can get more impact applied to this effort.

I wanted shot #1 to be the winner but seems shot 2 wins out. Nuts! :cry

The scissors are vintage sheep shears so I thought placing them on a sheepskin would be the thing to do. headscratch.gif

Its in me to play around in PS with filters when ever I think I can get more.
    Besides the B&W conversion....
    Shot 1. PS Filters - Stylize - Diffuse - Anisotropic (light touch there)
    One of my favorite filters! It does some wonderful stuff to photos!
    Shot 2. Went with high grain for high ISO Tri-X pan film effect. Might have
    gone heavy handed there. :D At 5 ft. you can't hardly tell the grain.

Thanks again! Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    The scissors are vintage sheep shears so I thought placing them on a sheepskin would be the thing to do. headscratch.gif

I actually wondered if that was effect you were going for with #1. I think your title may have something to with that, "scissors" puts my mind in a different frame of reference than "shears" would... I wonder if a rougher looking sheepskin, or a pile of raw wool would make for a better background, for me there the dichotomy of the rough shears and gloves and the clean, almost synthetic look of the sheepskin doesn't work...
    --Travis
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    My thanks for your comments and taking the time.thumb.gif

Appreciate the link Skippy. I'll check it out. Hopefully I can get more impact applied to this effort.

I wanted shot #1 to be the winner but seems shot 2 wins out. Nuts! :cry

Its in me to play around in PS with filters when ever I think I can get more.
    Besides the B&W conversion....
    Shot 1. PS Filters - Stylize - Diffuse - Anisotropic (light touch there)
    One of my favorite filters! It does some wonderful stuff to photos!
    Shot 2. Went with high grain for high ISO Tri-X pan film effect. Might have
    gone heavy handed there. :D At 5 ft. you can't hardly tell the grain.

Thanks again! Michael

It's a sheep skin eek7.gif ???????? narrrrrrrrrr, it looks like a fluffy blanket.
    Sorry but I didn't see it as a sheep skin at all.
    Hmmmmm needs some ruggedness about it nod.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2007
    Agreed. I see it now. Will reshoot from your suggestions. Ruggedness.

Foochar, your are right about scissors vs shears. Should have been in the title. It will be next time! You, Skippy and everyone else have helped me see the light on the first shot. It does look too synthetic and "fluffy" blanket. Can't tell its wool. Doesn't work.

Just bought a small amount of sheeps wool from a seller on ebay. Half ounce of it. Thats like a life time supply for me. :D

My thanks to everyone! wings.gif Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    banjonbanjon Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    Agreed. I see it now. Will reshoot from your suggestions. Ruggedness.

Foochar, your are right about scissors vs shears. Should have been in the title. It will be next time! You, Skippy and everyone else have helped me see the light on the first shot. It does look too synthetic and "fluffy" blanket. Can't tell its wool. Doesn't work.

Just bought a small amount of sheeps wool from a seller on ebay. Half ounce of it. Thats like a life time supply for me. :D

My thanks to everyone! wings.gif Michael

I was going to suggest if you had a clump of wool implying we just cut some wool, leading out near the edge might work.

I agree, it looked like a fluffy blanket.

Rich
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    Rich, Was wondering how to best use the raw wool. Where to place it, how much et... At the open end of the shears seems the logical spot as you suggest. Will do that shot and maybe a few other configurations and see what comes out the more interesting.

I'd really like to be doing white faced woman with orange flower on her cheek. + other accents. mwink.gif

Thank you!

Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    Rich, Was wondering how to best use the raw wool. Where to place it, how much et... At the open end of the shears seems the logical spot as you suggest. Will do that shot and maybe a few other configurations and see what comes out the more interesting.

I'd really like to be doing white faced woman with orange flower on her cheek. + other accents. mwink.gif

Try 'teasing' the wool with a brush, it will make it fuller and give some nice depth. Try it on the wood surface.

Not sure if the fluffy wool blanket works - maybe placed at an angle showing the raw edge diagonal to the wood - so lines intersect. Then the gloves and sheers bind the wood to the wool. If the edge is not a hide, then use straight pins to tuck the finished edge at different intervals and you can almost simulate a wool hide.

The reason I say its kind of tough is that a sheep when sheered looks like it had a crew cut. Thats why I think it will work better with the clump of teased wool, plus you get the texture of wood to complete the rough and soft look. Better balance for the cold steel.

Good luck. :)
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    Rich, I actually think the "fluffy" blanket works in its way so as to speak.
    If the shot were to sell it would have to be to someone in the industry whos sees the background and shears for what they are. Having said that there is still the incongruent goof. Shearing to skinning. I put this photo shoot together on the quick. So I didn't pour a heck of a lot of thought into it other than grab what I had and find some light. The shot was more about the unseen worker, end of days job and the task + tools telling what that job was. Wanted simple elements. How many people know what vintage sheep shears look like? So I did the sheepskin background to suggest it. Cept for it was too much. Like too much ice cream too much. Couldn't cut the sheepskin cause my wife would skin me. :D Just so you know, the gloves are mine. While I do get paid to use my head I'm still expected to dig in and swet.

Thank you for pouring so much thought into this one. Its helping lots and will in other shots as well. See things I didn't see. Consider more. Was also thinking about using just an edge of the sheepskin as you point out.
    Neat that you suggested it. Could work. The wool coming in is 6 inches long "santas beard stuff" so I will have to cut and tease. All final elements have to "act" natural. Its going to work. Has to after this great conversation from all of you. thumb.gif Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    Thats cool. I was also thinking about rolling the wool allowing the shears to have an underneath shadow. Then have the clumps of wool position along the wool blanket.

I actually thought the shears were old sheet metal snips. My dad an a set that looked similar, however the handles are different. Maybe showing a bit more of the handle may spark an interest and draw into the photo.

Experiment. :) Its digital. Try a few different poses. Amazing how the time goes when you do stills. One night I spent a few hours before I realized it. :) I learned a lot from the experience.

Love to see your next results

Rich