Wake Boarding

RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
edited August 24, 2007 in Sports

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007

Wow Randy........ he sure is airborne!
    He looks pretty fit too .
    I love the expression on his face and his body language in image #4 clap.gif

Great Series thumb.gif .... Thanks for sharing ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Great series Randy ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Okay now Mr. "I'm gonna use a shallow DOF on a moving subject and still nail the focus while sitting in a boat and hopping around and stuff" - looks like showing off to me...

Simply incredible images...again...still...no matter what the subject...

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Wow Randy........ he sure is airborne!
    He looks pretty fit too .
    I love the expression on his face and his body language in image #4 clap.gif

Great Series thumb.gif .... Thanks for sharing ... Skippy :D

thx Skippy
    he's 32 and built like a brick wall
    he's the son of a very old friend of ours and he's fearless
    edited August 24, 2007
    Great series Randy ! clap.gif

thx Awais
    edited August 24, 2007
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Okay now Mr. "I'm gonna use a shallow DOF on a moving subject and still nail the focus while sitting in a boat and hopping around and stuff" - looks like showing off to me...

Simply incredible images...again...still...no matter what the subject...

- Mike

thx Mike
    I was trying to blur the houses but used a smaller aperture on alot of shots because of the bouncing boat.
    The D200's dynamic group AF really helps with this kind of motion, and I used an sb800 on ttl-fp on a Joe Demb bracket (so the flash is directly over the camera on portrait mode shots)....a few months ago i would have never thought to use flash in this kind of light but it lets you set ev to a negative value to keep from blowing the highlites yet still get light on faces
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    thx Mike
    I was trying to blur the houses but used a smaller aperture on alot of shots because of the bouncing boat.
    The D200's dynamic group AF really helps with this kind of motion, and I used an sb800 on ttl-fp on a Joe Demb bracket (so the flash is directly over the camera on portrait mode shots)....a few months ago i would have never thought to use flash in this kind of light but it lets you set ev to a negative value to keep from blowing the highlites yet still get light on faces

Y'know, its funny about mentioning the flash - I've been doing some experiments with the same thing to create more detail since my P&S sensor dymanic range is not super-duper. I've been really happy with the results and get some questions from folks around me like, "why do you use flash in broad daylight?" I can see it now in your photos as they seem to have a similar result to what I've seen from my experiments - except I don't get the benefit of TTL - I have to use my eyes for TTL and make manual flash and exposure compensation but it works really well.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    thx Mike
    THe new ski/wakeboard boats are incredible too! You can just press a button and it automatically trims out for an optimal wake and sets it on cruise controll to that persons optimal speed. Very cool stuff!

With the sky as clear it looked in the background. You may have been better off setting your flash to manual and keeping it on that setting. WHile i-ttl/a-ttl is pretty smart, it still makes adjustments making post a more user intensive process.

Not really sure why the bracket makes any sense when shooting portrait at this diatance. I can see when your physically close to the subject using a bracket (even though I hate on camera flash/strobe in general). When you get that far out though. I don't think using a bracket makes much of a difference.

Just my .02
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Lions share has been said. Excellent job! Michael
    Michael
    edited August 24, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    Lions share has been said. Excellent job! Michael

thx Michael