Uploading all Photos?

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited August 23, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hello, Ive run into sort an ethical dillema and I wanted to know what is thought about it. I have 50gb of photos...quite a lot I think! And I don't have anyway to back it up. Currently they are only on my laptop and if it goes im done for! I was wondering if uploading that many files into a protected / hidden from normal view folder on smugmug is something I should avoid? I mean I could certianly see where it would be but I was just wondering if it is something that is done or is frowned upon. :)

Love smugmug either way and really enjoy using it!

Kelsey

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Hello, Ive run into sort an ethical dillema and I wanted to know what is thought about it. I have 50gb of photos...quite a lot I think! And I don't have anyway to back it up. Currently they are only on my laptop and if it goes im done for! I was wondering if uploading that many files into a protected / hidden from normal view folder on smugmug is something I should avoid? I mean I could certianly see where it would be but I was just wondering if it is something that is done or is frowned upon. :)

Love smugmug either way and really enjoy using it!

Kelsey
    We have NO limits on photos, Kelsey :)

Upload away.

I recommend putting them not all in one gallery, but other than that, upload away :)
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Yay! You guys are so awesome hehe. Horray for backups!

Thanks a ton,

Kelsey
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    You might want to try StarExplorer
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Yay! You guys are so awesome hehe. Horray for backups!

Thanks a ton,

Kelsey

If it would be helpful to you, I use the third party uploader StarExplorer and it might have a couple advantages to you for large uploads.
    1. It can automatically upload a whole directory hieararchy into matching galleries (creating the galleries for you).
    2. If there are any hiccups in the uploads (which does seem to happen from time to time either because of internet interruptions, ISP glitches or something at Smugmug), then StarExplorer keeps track of what it already uploaded successfully and what it had problems with letting you just hit upload again at the end to retry the ones that didn't work the first time. I've been in messy situations with other uploaders where you have to manually figure out which images had errors and manually find them and reupload them.
    3. You can manually drag/drop thousands of images into many galleries and then do one long unattended upload that goes to lots of different galleries.
    The author hangs out over here if you have any questions about it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question