Any Better?

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited August 26, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I reshot this image for LPS#11 tonight. The security guards not only held the gates open until 8pm for me, but also held off any other cars entering and disturbing my shots. I felt like royalty!

Please let me know if you feel I've addressed all the issues discussed in the previous post, and also if there is anything else that still needs work. Thanks a million...you all are the best!

1. Original Shot
186313882-L.jpg

2. Reshoot 1
187222040-L.jpg

3. Reshoot #2
187226203-L.jpg
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Which of these is the strongest image? 27 votes

1. Original shot
3% 1 vote
2. Reshoot #1
55% 15 votes
3. Reshoot #2
40% 11 votes

Comments

• PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    I went with #2 but I think #2 and #3 are better then the first. Also I think #2 could use a bit more saturation :)

Nice shots though!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    I went with #2 as well and actually think it's a touch more contrast (just a teensy bit) that it needs.

That is magical light you got this time around! clap.gif
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    I like the composition of reshoot #1. I think it has the subject at the most appealing size in proportion to the rest of the scene.
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Like #2, it has more detail, but I like the reflection in #1.

I would take both photos and place as composites using #1 as background layer, then using a layer mask on #2, and bring out the reflection of the lake on 1 , then play with selective coloring and play with color tones....bring out some of the sandstone reds, golden yellows, then flatten layers, and play with contrasts, levels and curves...I might also bring the crop down a tad from the top....and if your feeling really creative try adding a little lake reflection like a few subtle ripples as though wheel had turned..

Just my thoughts....Good luck
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Reshoot #2
    Emily, glad to see that you didn't arrested sneaking into the park. mwink.gif I really like reshoot #2. It brings that machine to foreground, up close and personal. I think the murky color of the water takes away from the overall image in the others. Personally, I'd like to see you apply the same light vignette to #2 also. Great improvement!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Reshoot #2
    thumb.gif Very nice, Emily! I love this closeup of the old mill. Now the viewer can get a good look at that water wheel. Strangely enough, the tree that's in front of the mill is not as bothersome in the closeup shot as it was in the non-closeup version.

Reshoot #1 is OK but what detracts from it is the murkiness of the water. For me the reflection part does not work well in that one due to that murkiness.

That really is one impressive water wheel!
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    I like #3
    Is that the mill on Sixes Road?

Jon
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Thanks to everyone for your input!!!
    Emily

• BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Tenacity
    3. Reshoot #2

Emily,

Now you're cookin'...

If you choose to use quick selection and a gaussian blur, then you can downplay the leaves which want to pull the eye away from the magnificence of the mill and water wheel.
    The faint shoreline helps the eye find the center and so would that gaussian blur!

This image chunks the water which was either overshot and lead the eye out of the pic to the right #1 or dulled the eye down to try to perceive only faint reflection in Rs#2.

See, tenacity works... 'sides, like you said, you felt like royalty!
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Yep. Much better. The only that is missing are some frogs in the pond. :D

The color temeperature on #3 seems a little higher (bluer) than on #2. I think I perfer the slightly yellower greens of #2. The trees are still very prominant. Right now I am thinking of starting with #3, cropping it square (or close to) by taking off one or maybe even two trees off the left and pushing the WB a smidge toward the yellow. No warranty on that advice, but if I was staring at #3 in Lightroom, that would be the first thing I'd try.
  • simmosimmo Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    I think number 3 works with the theme much better than the other two. 1 and 2 have some pleasing aspects but the tighter crop draws the attention of the 'machine' much more imo.
    www.PeopleWhoDoSTUFF.com/blog
    Canada Blogging - travel journal
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Emily - I voted for #2. You wouldn't, by chance, have taken one with a little more space to the right of the wheel? I agree too that adding a little selective blur would enhance it. what a beautiful place!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    The 3rd shot is best, but I'd like to see it taken early in the morning or evening. Or maybe at night with some light painting.
    edited August 25, 2007
    Gary Glass wrote:
    The 3rd shot is best, but I'd like to see it taken early in the morning or evening. Or maybe at night with some light painting.

It was taken at appx. 7:30pm.
    Emily

edited August 25, 2007
    Thank you to everyone for your much valued opinions! I think I am going to play around with crops some more and see if I can't come up with a good compromise between #2 & #3. People seem to like the two different images for very valid reasons on both.
    Emily

• Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    It was taken at appx. 7:30pm.

Ah. Must be the trees mellowing out all the light then. Could you reshoot it without the trees? headscratch.gif
    edited August 25, 2007
    HarleyPugs wrote:
    Is that the mill on Sixes Road?

Jon

Guess I will answer my own question....

http://roadsidegeorgia.com/site/sixes_mill.html

Nope...it is not the place....rolleyes1.gif

Jon
    edited August 25, 2007
    HarleyPugs wrote:
    Guess I will answer my own question....

http://roadsidegeorgia.com/site/sixes_mill.html

Nope...it is not the place....rolleyes1.gif

Jon

Hi Jon,

Sorry, I thought I'd already answered this, but I guess the post didn't go through. This is the Old Mill at Berry College in Rome.
    Emily

edited August 25, 2007
    Hi Jon,

Sorry, I thought I'd already answered this, but I guess the post didn't go through. This is the Old Mill at Berry College in Rome.

No problem.

I've heard a lot of talk about the Sixes Mill, just never been (even though it is almost in my back yard).

The mill in your picture is beautiful. Is that around the area where they filmed the football movie "Remember the Titans"?

I pm'ed you about a local photographers meeting today in Buckhead at the Rock Bottom brewery today at 1.
    http://www.rockbottomsouth.com/index...location_id=26

Jon
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    I like Reshoot #2 the best because of the "in your face" feeling I get from the water wheel. Like LiquidAir says, the color does have more a "blue" feel to it. It also seems a little "too" sharp... or maybe that's oversaturation...

Since you shot later in the day, did they give you "special dispensation?" Or did you bivouac in the woods under a rotting tree stump? :D Yeah... can you tell my life isn't very dynamic? I have to live out my adventures through others... online... rolleyes1.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
    edited August 26, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    I like Reshoot #2 the best because of the "in your face" feeling I get from the water wheel. Like LiquidAir says, the color does have more a "blue" feel to it. It also seems a little "too" sharp... or maybe that's oversaturation...

Since you shot later in the day, did they give you "special dispensation?" Or did you bivouac in the woods under a rotting tree stump? :D Yeah... can you tell my life isn't very dynamic? I have to live out my adventures through others... online... rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for your input Felicia.

The mill is on the campus of Berry College in Rome, GA. I called the president's office and they most graciously had the campus security leave the gates open for me. They were all extraordinarily kind about it.
    Emily