2nd hand D200 market

MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited September 14, 2007 in Cameras
Hi,

now that Nikon has announced the D300 are 2nd hand D200's likely to suddenly flood the market and become much cheaper?

I have a pretty tight budget which, at present price levels, will allow me to buy a 2nd hand D200 plus 2 new good lenses. I was all set to buy the camera 3 or 4 weeks ago but then the rumors started and I held off.
Do you think it is worth waiting a bit longer?

Martyn

Comments

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Only if you're ready to wait a while. This is just the announcement. I suspect the release date will be much later this year... if not early next year.

Has anyone heard a release date?
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    I keep hearing they will be available in Nov - both the D3 and D300.
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    OK... Just in time for Christmas. Timing is everything!
  • LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    OK... Just in time for Christmas. Timing is everything!

A new D80 is 999.00, a used D200 is now at 1K to 1200. So, I don't look to see them go much less than a D80 for low click models. Maybe high click roughed up ones, sure. But a really nice D200 I think will stay where it's at for now. Even when introduced, the D300 will be 1800, there's pleny of room to sell new D200s between the 1800 and 999 D80 in new price, so what does that say for used?

November 07 intro date
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    i don't foresee used D200s flooding the market until Jan actually. nikon has been so horrible about meeting order fulfillments that the initial releases is likely to be very limited in number.

look what happened with the 18-200mm VR lens. they were on a 1-3 month backorder for essentially a year.

wait around long enough and you'll probably see my 2 D200s going for sale... :D
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    dangin wrote:
    i don't foresee used D200s flooding the market until Jan actually. nikon has been so horrible about meeting order fulfillments that the initial releases is likely to be very limited in number.

look what happened with the 18-200mm VR lens. they were on a 1-3 month backorder for essentially a year.

wait around long enough and you'll probably see my 2 D200s going for sale... :D

Well that is assuming the current D200 owners are going to be selling their cameras :) I am not planning on it ... but a D300 will probably joining the mix someday. Unless that D3X comes out and I have won the lottery ;)
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    D200
    Nikon says they're keeping the D200 in the mix. They say (they say) the D300 is not a replacement for the D200. IF they are shooting straight, that should keep the prices for used D200s up. On the other hand, the D200 will come down in price. They're already offering a rebate, I think.

I'm keeping my D200 anyway. Why change. It's a way more capable camera than I am a photographeryelrotflmao.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • H2HH2H Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Since last Friday I know of four D200 bodies for sale but not untill December :D
  • MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    It looks like the prices for new D200's are slowly coming down, at least here in Hong Kong.

If the price comes down a bit more I can just about stretch to buying a new one.
  • HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    I got mine as a refurb from NewEgg for $1200.00 with ~450 actuations back in June, not that it's relevant really. I'm guessing they'll be in the 1000-1200 range for another year simply because the D80 isn't going anywhere and the D200 is a slightly better body.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    I've completely confused myself.

I've had my heart set on a D200 for quiet a while and now that I have the money together Canon have released the 40D and Sony has the A700.

The Canon 40D "feels" good although I have had only about 20 minutes with it in store. I am attending a Sony workshop in a couple of weeks that will give me hands on with the A700. . I think I can wait until then to decide again.

I do like the idea of in camera IS on the Sony but feel the lens range is limited compared to the other two. One of the lenses I want is not made with the Sony mount.
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2007
    i just put in my order for a D3. i'll have one of my D200s available for sale as soon as i get the D3 in... :D
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto