Options

The Flower

kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited August 27, 2007 in Landscapes
A picture of a flower, duh. I'm newer to the whole photography thing but I am catching on. This is not taken with a macro lens and iIwish I had a more solid backgroud, but other than that I feel that its ok. Let me know!

176777290-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    ok, I know there is someone out therene_nau.gif . Thanks!
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    I'm no expert either but I do like your shot. A little more blur in the background would help the echinacea stand out more.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    Thanks! Anything helps. I'm here to learn!
  • Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    You've got the cone of the flower perfectly focused. I don't think the shallow DOF works with this flower, though. Try stopping down your aperture and getting a sharp shot on the entire flower. I would also probably crop some of the left out - the empty space doesn't really do much for the picture.

If you're having trouble focusing the entire flower, try standing back a bit.
  • Options
    LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    hamster wrote:
    You've got the cone of the flower perfectly focused. I don't think the shallow DOF works with this flower, though. Try stopping down your aperture and getting a sharp shot on the entire flower. I would also probably crop some of the left out - the empty space doesn't really do much for the picture.

If you're having trouble focusing the entire flower, try standing back a bit.

Since it is not a macro lens, you may have moved in past the point of focus for this lens, not sure. It does seem a bit soft. Not sure what aperture you were set to, but like hamster said, try stopping it down some, and use a tri-pod. Stopping down means go closer to f22, instead of a narrow 2.8 for example.

The depth of field that can retain focus increases as you go closer to f22, at the narrow end like 2.8 for a 2.8 lens, the depth becomes extremely then the closer you get to something, thus it becomes almost impossible to get an entire flower in focus.

IF you knew all that, apoligies, trying to help. I'd worry about the technical first, "focus" on getting sharp shots of the object you are shooting, then you can begin to work on composition of the shot.

Doug
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2007
    Doug and Hampster, Thanks for the advice. There is no such things as too much advice here. I will go home and experiment with apetures. I might ahve taken that before i really knew anything about them, and before I had a tripod, but now, let's see what I can do!