DSLR, SLR-like compact for a n00b

GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited October 30, 2007 in Cameras
I take marginal photos, with a 6mp olympus stylus 600. Problem is, I'm a control freak, and with this basic point and shoot camera, I can't control what is going on, nor would I understand it if I knew.

I'm here to learn. At the end of the day, I really just want my photos to look like what I see thru my eyes, and to hold a true memory of the people, places and things that make me who I am.

At this point you've probably figured out I want a better camera. The question is how much better? I want enough manual control to learn, but the added complexity and cost of a full-on DSLR, lenses, etc may be overkill given my modest aspirations. From lurking a bit, and some advice from the photographers over at ADVrider, something like an A, S, or G series Canon may be about right.

Any thoughts on relative pros and cons of each given my intended use as a learning platform? I honestly don't know enough to go thru the spec sheets and understand what the main differences are. Budget isn't really an issue unless I get sucked into buying an SLR, the above canons are all well under a grand.

Appreciate any opinions and recommendations.

--GB

Comments

• sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    I'd check out the Panasonic DMC-FZ50K
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 24, 2007
    GB,

Your current camera, the Olympus Stylus 600 digital, is a weather-resistant model. Is there a particular reason you chose that camera?

What exactly do you hope to accomplish? ("... I really just want my photos to look like what I see thru my eyes, and to hold a true memory of the people, places and things that make me who I am." is not really terribly definitive about your photographic aspirations.)

Be as specific as you can and tell us what interests you.

Sports?
    Scenic vistas?
    Portraits?
    Indoor/low light?
    Nature and animals/birds?

Anything else that comes to mind. The more you tell us about your wishes, the better we can respond.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Your current camera, the Olympus Stylus 600 digital, is a weather-resistant model. Is there a particular reason you chose that camera?

Be as specific as you can and tell us what interests you. Anything else that comes to mind. The more you tell us about your wishes, the better we can respond.

All good questions - glad to clarify a bit

the Olympus was chosen basis a previous APS olympus I had - I like the menus, the user interface, and was familiar with it. Also, it is quite small, and fairly weather resistant, so I don't hesitate to pull it out and take pictures of say, motorcycling in a hailstorm. Please excuse the gesture, it is a staple photo element over at ADVrider.

151961740-M.jpg

Here is a sample of the other things I tend to shoot. To pick from your categorized list, it is a lot of landscapes and the odd portrait. I travel by motorcycle quite a bit, and like to take shots of random scenes and things along the way. I don't do much shooting for the sake of shooting, but I'd like to.

As to my aspirations, at this point it is purely to document vacations, motorcycle trips, events/parties/get togethers, and to have the flexibility to this under any light conditions. I don't envision alot of action shots or pics of sporting events - they happen occasionally, but aren't really a priority at this point. Here's a sample.

98188255-M.jpg

99038403-M.jpg
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    GB,
    I'd recommend snatching up a used Sony F828. Super lens for most lighting situations, all the manual control you need to learn without overkill, very sturdy construction since you'll be packing it along with you a lot, and a hotshoe for learning about flash photography.

I shoot with a Sony F717 and Panasonic FZ50. Sometimes at gatherings I wish for less focal length (wider field of view) and the F828 gives that and yet still gives a fun zoom range using a very fast, bright lens. The lens movement is all internal plus the body rotates so you can have fun putting the camera right on the ground and compose and also hold it over your head (or a fence) and still see the viewfinder.

The FZ50 is a hoot to work with, takes really great saturated pics, has a wonderful zoom range, but gets soft in low lighting. When I need to travel, I pack my Sony because its more compact and that lens...oh, the lens...

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Yeh... 35 is a bit limited, but you generally don't get much better FOV with a normal P&S. A lot of them get down around 28, which really does make a big difference.

My Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 does 28-280mmm sacrifices 70mm at the long end to get 7mm at the short end. Worth it!
    edited August 25, 2007
    Spent most of the evening reading up some more on dpreview. Read the entire epetti DSLR or not thread. I've read (and now understand) the entire ISO / noise reduction debate, thanks to you folks here and the dpreview article. That said, quite confident I don't want an SLR, at least not right now.

Looking very hard at the Panasonic TZ3 & FZ50, and the Canon S5IS & A710IS.

I really like the idea of the the S5 IS - tilt/swivel LCD, the ridiculous zoom, and the general opinion that the image quality is excellent. So far I'm leaning this way.

The A710IS looks to do a lot, especially at that price point, as I'm not sure the extra zoom, external flash, and swivel screen are worth the jump to the S5.

The TZ3 is a very interesting piece - I like the idea of the wider FOV as I shoot a lot of landscape shots. The reviews seem to indicate that image quality is not quite to Canon levels and noise reduction is intrusive. I'm not sure it would make that much of a difference, the limiting factor in all of my shots is ME.

FZ50 is definitely an option to consider. Not sure I'd prefer it to the other 3. I'm going to go handle them all tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.

Many thanks for the suggestions and comments, all very useful.
    edited August 27, 2007
    S5 Is
    After a weekend of speaking with a few friendly locals and pawing the cameras at a few retailers, I brought home an S5 IS yesterday. wings.gif It is much more compact than I had anticipated, the interface is quite intuitive, and the AA batteries will be useful given my propensity for motorcycle touring / camping and lack of outlets for chargers.

Also, I had a lengthy conversation with a semi-pro photographer about my expectations and intended use. We spent a lot of time discussing the appropriate use of the flash to take decent pictures, ways to use an articulating flash to soften the effect, and filling low levels of light for different situations. As you would expect, the hotshoe became a major selling point and I'm now flash shopping. I (perhaps ignorantly) am of the impression that it will be quite some time before this camera is the limiting factor in my photography.

I'll post some photos once I get thru the manual and get the basics figured out. Autumn is approaching, so there should be no shortage of natural beauty to shoot around here.

The most exciting aspect of this purchase is that I'm now finding excuses to go photograph anything and everything, and should have some basic skills built up prior to my trip to Park City, UT in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the input, and I'll keep you posted when I, at some point, make some progress.
    edited October 30, 2007
    Grainbelt wrote:
    Thanks for the input, and I'll keep you posted when I, at some point, make some progress.

It is time for an update.

The Camera

I have used nearly every manual mode available on the S5, and changed every setting on the camera at least twice, taking pics along the way. I understand what the each of the modes and settings do, and am finding opportunities to use them. Regardless of the results, I am starting to understand what the camera can do.

The zoom is fantastic, more so because the IS is effective. The bulk of the camera seems to help - I was much shakier with the little olympus, and had to one-hand it alot.

I am slightly dissappointed with low light performance, mainly because I'm viewing on a hi-res monitor, at 75 or 80%, and the noise looks worse than it really is. Also I need a tripod for longer exposures before I can complain much.

Toys

Ordered the bayonet adapter and a wide angle converter, looking at UV and polarizing filters, etc.
    Flash coming around christmas time.
    I have a monopod, and am tripod shopping.

What I know now, having lurked for a few months.

I know I made a compromise on image quality, and I'm ok with that. From window shopping a bit, seems I would have well over 2 grand into this if I went DSLR and lenses of the same focal range. After the above toys are accumulated, will be at barely half of that.

This seems to be a sufficient learning platform for me. I still have a lot of work to do regarding composition and technique, and the instant feedback of live view and histograms, and most importantly, your comments, are teaching me a lot.

Thanks all.

--Mike