New life

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited August 26, 2007 in Holy Macro
:huh As i am close to slavery (uni starts from monday) i am shooting my neighbours a lot. Yesterday i saw very small polan grains on flower and ants doing weird things on them :scratch As i am not shooting at full 12x because of low light i thought to look polan grain from near :huh they were moving and actually they were new born kids of ants. here are images
187375563-L.jpg

187373664-L.jpg

here you can see one very difficult still at not full zoom
187373320-L.jpg

Here are elder bros finaly they have started to move and walk around :barb
187375252-L.jpg

187374525-L.jpg

This is one wierd behaviour i am was trying to catch they transfer something mouth to mouth may be food for newly born ?
187375905-L.jpg
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Great photos Awais.

I don't think those are ant offspring though. Ants lay eggs = larvae that then pupate and hatch as ants.

I think those are aphid nymphs. Ants actually 'farm' other insects. I think (but stand to be corrected) that is what you have captured.

None the less, great photos of a really cool behavior.

ann
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    bowdown.gif

Awais, didn't you just start experimenting with macros, like... last week?

I am duly impressed!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Wonderful series Awais- you are getting too good at macro :)
    As Ann says the babies are not ants possibly aphids or baby mealybugs- think that's what the bug is in #4- but just like aphids, the ants guard them , move them around and generally "farm" them for their excretions of honey dew.

brian v.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Great photos Awais.

I don't think those are ant offspring though. Ants lay eggs = larvae that then pupate and hatch as ants.

I think those are aphid nymphs. Ants actually 'farm' other insects. I think (but stand to be corrected) that is what you have captured.

None the less, great photos of a really cool behavior.

ann

Oh i am clueless are these not their kids ? they don't seems to eat them
    What is aphid :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited August 24, 2007
    Thanks Schmoo and Brian i got it :D

My Gallery
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Another nice set of interesting images. Cool shot of the ants interacting. Didn't know ants "farmed". Now I do. Plus I had to go out and do the read on aphids. Is school ever out? :D Michael
    Michael
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Oh i am clueless are these not their kids ? they don't seems to eat them
    What is aphid :D
    Great photos Awais...they are indeed mealy bugs. The ants do..as mentioned already ...farm them. The ants will tap the bug with their antenna to get the bug to secrete honey dew (a sugary substance) for the ants to collect and in turn the ants will provide protection for mealy bugs from predators. The ants will even move the bugs to a new location to start another farm.

Many ants farm...often they have 'fungus' farms under ground on stored vegetation.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    eek7.gif As i am close to slavery (uni starts from monday) i am shooting my neighbours a lot. Yesterday i saw very small polan grains on flower and ants doing weird things on them headscratch.gif As i am not shooting at full 12x because of low light i thought to look polan grain from near eek7.gif they were moving and actually they were new born kids of ants. here are images
    here you can see one very difficult still at not full zoom
    Here are elder bros finaly they have started to move and walk around wings.gif
    This is one wierd behaviour i am was trying to catch they transfer something mouth to mouth may be food for newly born ?

Hi there Awais, as the other have told you they are not baby ants :D
    Ants are very good farmers, the food chain is quite remarkable when you see it in action and think about.

Though I think the Ants get the better part of the deal,
    it's kind of like stand over tactics with them.

They help look after Aphids and other small creatures,
    and in return these little creatures excrete a fluid that the ants drink.
    You probably heard the term "Milking"

So there you have it, the Ants know how to Milk the system so to speak rolleyes1.gif

Excellent images Awais clap.gif
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited August 25, 2007
    Thanks all love to hear from you
    great info !! clap.gif

My Gallery
  • jerrykrjerrykr Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    Great series Awais. You really have the skill for macros.
    -=- Jerry -=-
    For Comprehensive info on Infrared Photography.

Visit my Site - Infrared Photography Buzz
    edited August 25, 2007
    jerrykr wrote:
    Great series Awais. You really have the skill for macros.
    Hi Jerry thanks for looking and loving :D

My Gallery
  • banjonbanjon Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Very interesting shots. Great photos. :)
    I learned something too - I heard of milking, but didn't know ants farmed insects.

Rich
    edited August 26, 2007
    banjon wrote:
    Very interesting shots. Great photos. :)
    I learned something too - I heard of milking, but didn't know ants farmed insects.

Rich

Thanks Rich world is filled with amazing things mwink.gif

My Gallery