How do I photograh starts at night?

mroemroe Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited March 17, 2004 in Cameras
I have a Canon EOS Rebel. What setings would I use to take pictures of stars.

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    Check out Fish's moon - he shot it at high ISO (800) , as wide open as his lens would allow, and relatively quickly. I've never tried to shoot stars, so I can't share any personal experience. But I understand that long exposures are to be avoided - they end up blurry due to the earth's rotation.

Post your shots when you make 'em ... even the bad ones!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    The moon is big, stars are small (to the eye, anyway). Stars are tough, but can be fun. If you put the cam on a tripod, aimed up, with a very long exposure, you will get trails from the stars as the earth rotates.

truck-star-trails-big.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    rolleyes1.gif
    fish wrote:
    you will get trails from the stars as the earth rotates.
    rolleyes1.gif yeh right.

earth rotates rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    every one knows the earth is flat and the universe rotates around it...

DUH
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    Welcome to the Society of Retarded Photographers.umph.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2004
    fish wrote:
    The moon is big, stars are small (to the eye, anyway). Stars are tough, but can be fun. If you put the cam on a tripod, aimed up, with a very long exposure, you will get trails from the stars as the earth rotates.

truck-star-trails-big.jpg
    Looks like a little rain to me.
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
  • albierioalbierio Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2004
    How to photograph stars
    To get acceptable astronomy shots you must match the rotation of the earth. THat means moving the camera in ascention and right declenation.

The way to do this is to use a powered equatorial mount. You can actually build these for a few bucks if you have moderate mechanical and electrical skills.

You can actually get fabulous shots of near deep sky objects with standard lenses. Better yet with standard telephotos. For best results you would have to keep the shutter open for a long period of time. Maybe an hour using film. I'm not sure how long using a CCD. Probably several minutes anyways.

Probably TMI.

Mike
  • scissorfighterscissorfighter Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 17, 2004
    mroe,
    Regardles of whether you want star "trails" or star "points", the key element is finding a place to shoot with the least amount of ambient light possible, i.e. "out in the country". I shot this photo with a 50mm lens at f2.8 with an exposure duration of 4 hours, using ISO100 slide film (i think). Way up north in the woods of Maine. You can search all day for tips, but the best way to learn is to just go do it, and take notes.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2004
    wave.gif scissorfighter, welcome aboard. That's a very cool shot. thumb.gif

What gear do you shoot with? (You could always put that in yer profile. mwink.gif)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au