Ram or Processor speed?

cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited September 5, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Hi everyone,

Need some help as I'm not a computer person. I'm buying a new notebook and I'm on a budget. I will only be using it for internet surfing and cs2 along with uploading to smugmug. :D

As the title asks, more ram or a faster processor? I'm looking a dell Vostro 1700. My price option are: intel core duo 2 t5470 1.6 and 3 gb of ram or
intel duo core 2 t7100 1.8 and 2 gb of ram.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    My personal experience with Photoshop over the years is that RAM made more of a difference over the long run than the processor speed. I was able to get a couple extra years out of an older machine simply by increasing the RAM. You can have a fast processor, but once you run out of RAM on a large PSD file, everything can drag to a halt!

With my new machine, I went 4GB of Ram and a midspeed Core 2 Duo, simply because I know that the photoshop files are getting bigger and bigger, and the more that can be resident in RAM the better.

my 2 cents,
  • jayjay Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    u arent going to notice any diff over the 1.6 to the 1.8mhz processor speed go with the cheaper core 2 duo and up the ram to the max itll scream then rolleyes1.gif
    jm photography
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    12% difference between processors, 50% difference between memory options.

deal.gif Easy choice.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Normally, I would agree with the above... but since this is a laptop, get the faster processor. You can upgrade the memory later (and pretty cheaply, too). You'll never be able to upgrade the processor.

Just my 2c.
    Chris
  • cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Thanks all. I think I will go for RAM as I'm not keen about opening a laptop to install more ram. Thanks again!
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Thats what I recomment too. I just tried the CS3 demo and guess what ..
    Bridge eats 700MB of Memory as I browse trough some dirs on my
    disk. When I opened and closed a few images with PS to try out some basic
    LAB editing PS already used additional 1.2 GB (!) of memory ... and I never had more
    than two images open at the same time. The rest of the two gigs I have in
    my MBP was used by the system and some other small apps. Needless to
    say that everything was beginning to take really long with all the swapping
    going on. There are probably some ways of how to optimize PS CS3 by
    throwing out some unneeded modules and by reducing some cache sizes ...
    but I'll be getting 4GB as soon as I decide to buy CS3. Otherwise I dont see
    how one can efficiently work with this program. The 2.2 Ghz Processor
    in the MBP is as fast as I could wish for PS as long as there is still free
    memory available though.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    but I'll be getting 4GB as soon as I decide to buy CS3.
    FYI Manfr3d. You can allocate as much RAM to PS3 as you like. It can only use 3GB though. This 4th GB will be nice for your other apps running. But will n ot speed up CS3 the slightest.

All the best,
    -Jon
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Maybe I'm thinking wrong but if I can keep PS from swapping memory
    to disk by upgradeing my memory it will run faster again, right? Even
    if CS3 can only adress those 3Gb one can still trick PS into using more
    memory by creating a RAM Disk and and assigning it to PS as the scratch disk.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I decided to downgrade my notebook a little to get a 2gig 7300 duo 2 core and 3 gigs of ram. I also decided on the 17 inch screen. Now I just have to wait for dell to ship it.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    I decided to downgrade my notebook a little to get a 2gig 7300 duo 2 core and 3 gigs of ram. I also decided on the 17 inch screen. Now I just have to wait for dell to ship it.

With Vista 32 bit - 2GB is better than 4GB of RAM. I'd go with the faster processor for the reason given above - adding memory to a laptop involves removing one screw and not much money, upgrading a processor doesn't happen.