Options

God Bless ACR 4.x!!!

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited August 27, 2007 in Finishing School
I brought a few hundred shots fromt he last airshow only to discover I was not careful enough when changing lenses, so most of my shots had a lot of dust bunnies. Before CS3 it would mean a trip to PS for each frame :huh .
Now with the ACR 4.0 and its vector spot removal, I can do all this en-masse and non-destructively..:ivar
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    Well, that is great news for those of us who are waiting for the airshow pix. Do you use lightroom too?

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Well, that is great news for those of us who are waiting for the airshow pix. Do you use lightroom too?

Virginia
    I tried several times, but seem to not be able to force myself using it. I can't accept it as my primary DAM tool due to the dreaded "import" issue, and after that it only becomes a toy, since its results are not refelcted in Bridge (which IS my primary DAM tool) ne_nau.gif Once LR and Bridge become interoperable, I think I would be using it, but intil this time rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I tried several times, but seem to not be able to force myself using it. I can't accept it as my primary DAM tool due to the dreaded "import" issue, and after that it only becomes a toy, since its results are not refelcted in Bridge (which IS my primary DAM tool) ne_nau.gif Once LR and Bridge become interoperable, I think I would be using it, but intil this time rolleyes1.gif

What results are you not seeing?

I don't see how one could refer to Bridge as a DAM. A Browser yes. But it has no database functionality like LR.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2007
    arodney wrote:
    What results are you not seeing?
    I add pictures to my HDD and LR don't see them unless I do the import. I move them outside LR - and it has no idea. Maintaining both folders And the database is a major PITA (and a major design flow if you ask me as a data architect which I am)
    arodney wrote:
    I don't see how one could refer to Bridge as a DAM. A Browser yes. But it has no database functionality like LR.
    Well, now you see me mwink.gif
    Using database for internal purposes does not make an application a DAM. My Star*Explorer uses a database for crying out loud, but it's not even remotely a DAM tool.

LR uses MySQL engine to store caches and indices. Great. But this DB is not nearly robust enough to replace the NTFS file system as the primary storage. And after that it's only bells and whistles...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2007
    Don't get me wrong, I think LR is a wondeful product with a great future. Some of its features are extremely nicely done.
    It's just I can't find myself using it for the aforementioned reasons.
    All in all, this post is not about LR, it's about ACR4.0 :-)
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I add pictures to my HDD and LR don't see them unless I do the import.

Well sure, how would you expect a DAM to catalog images without import? That's how iView media and just about every other DAM works. You want LR to catalog every image you place on your drive automatically? Well it CAN do that. You can setup hot folders for this. But a DAM, a Database catalog has to import that info.
    I move them outside LR - and it has no idea. Maintaining both folders And the database is a major PITA

You move them within LR and it keeps track of this new location. Just like Bridge. If you don't have a distributed cache, which is necessary if you want to move the images around to other drives, you MUST do the move from within Bridge. How else can it (or any other piece of software) know you've moved the files if you do this outside the application?
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I think LR is a wondeful product with a great future. Some of its features are extremely nicely done.
    It's just I can't find myself using it for the aforementioned reasons.
    All in all, this post is not about LR, it's about ACR4.0 :-)

LR IS CR built within a database, plus print module, web module and so forth.

CR+Bridge isn't anything remotely like Lightroom. They share some functionality yes, but just a little.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2007
    arodney wrote:
    How else can it (or any other piece of software) know you've moved the files if you do this outside the application?
    Easy: expect the worst. Just like Bridge does. Sure you will suffer some preformance issues if you move files outside it, but even if you do, it will quickly "realize" the file is not there and would rebuild the cache.
    Another thing, of course, is to use a server-based solution (like SM servers, for instance) and thus make sure that all file operations come through a certain point, where you can maintain integrity. I used to work for a Dutch company which provided s/w to do just that. That's a viable approach, albeit a bit expensive for a simple end user.
    LR, being a client app, and operating on a desktop-strength database, doesn't cut the cake, not for me that is... deal.gif
    Once again, it's a matter of personal preferences. I know LR works for many people, and that's great. It doesn't work for me, so what's the big deal? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2007
    arodney wrote:
    LR IS CR built within a database, plus print module, web module and so forth.

CR+Bridge isn't anything remotely like Lightroom. They share some functionality yes, but just a little.

Did I ever said they are the same? eek7.gif
    I said I like certain ACR functionality, that was it. deal.gif
    I don't even remember mentioning LR in a first place. It was a followup question which I honestly answered. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited August 27, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I brought a few hundred shots fromt he last airshow only to discover I was not careful enough when changing lenses, so most of my shots had a lot of dust bunnies. Before CS3 it would mean a trip to PS for each frame eek7.gif .
    Now with the ACR 4.0 and its vector spot removal, I can do all this en-masse and non-destructively..:ivar

SPotting dust bunnies once for a whole day of shooting appeals to me also.

I had not spotted this ability, or recognized its significance.

Thanks for pointing this out, Nikolai!

I have tried to develop affection for Lightroom also, but find I am comfortable with Bridge, and prefer the functionality I get in Photoshop to that I get in Lightroom. I guess I use selections more than I thought, hence the need for PS, not LR.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    SPotting dust bunnies once for a whole day of shooting appeals to me also.I had not spotted this ability, or recognized its significance. Thanks for pointing this out, Nikolai!
    Jim, you're most certainly welcome!
    It's still "rough around the edges", but even in its current state it's a life saver...deal.gif
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have tried to develop affection for Lightroom also, but find I am comfortable with Bridge, and prefer the functionality I get in Photoshop to that I get in Lightroom. I guess I use selections more than I thought, hence the need for PS, not LR.
    How our friend Sebastian would say, "edem das seine" ("to each his own"). mwink.gif