RFC on a Feature Request

renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited September 3, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi All,

I had an idea for a feature, but I would like to issue an request for comment on it before officially adding it to the requests list. This way we can all get our input in and have it very clearly defined what we (at least those of us that read/post on this forum) want.

I would like to see a "trip" or "journey" viewing style that would allow myself to show the smugmug maps view for a specific gallery, along with a larger version of a photo, some choice exif info, and at least the caption. I would also like to be able to upload a .gpx track file from my GPS to this gallery, so that the map view can show the path that I took when I took the photos.

A couple of use cases for this style:
1) I go out on a hike, use my GPS to keep track of where I am, and when I return home, I can sync the exif date/time taken with the track file generated by my GPS. Then, I can upload the images to smugmug, and use smugmug to share my journey with friends and family. As it stands, I have to have my photos (maybe geotagged) uploaded to smugmug, and the track file uploaded elsewhere and it gets complicated to share with people.

2) Im looking for a place to go for a trip and scouting out peoples pictures on smugmug. If they have used this feature, I can see the path they took to see these particular sights, and if I want to follow it when I take my trip.

A view that shows the map specifically for a gallery and with a path attached to it is the logical extension to the smugmaps feature. The map gets too cluttered if it shows more than one gallery, and I'd like to see it all at once anyway. Maybe with some sort of layout like this (pardon the total lack of artistic talent, obviously the colors would have to look slick like a normal smugmug page)..

187935822-M.jpg

Comments, ideas welcome. I'll add it to the request thread later. If I can figure out a way to hack the site so that I can view styles that are completely my own (and have them be on the style dropdown) I'll create a mockup. Thats an idea for another time.. the ability to custom create complete view styles, but I digress.

-Russ

Comments

• SewermanSewerman Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    That would be VERRY cool!
    renstar wrote:
    Hi All,

I had an idea for a feature, but I would like to issue an request for comment on it before officially adding it to the requests list. This way we can all get our input in and have it very clearly defined what we (at least those of us that read/post on this forum) want.

I would like to see a "trip" or "journey" viewing style that would allow myself to show the smugmug maps view for a specific gallery, along with a larger version of a photo, some choice exif info, and at least the caption. I would also like to be able to upload a .gpx track file from my GPS to this gallery, so that the map view can show the path that I took when I took the photos.

A couple of use cases for this style:
    1) I go out on a hike, use my GPS to keep track of where I am, and when I return home, I can sync the exif date/time taken with the track file generated by my GPS. Then, I can upload the images to smugmug, and use smugmug to share my journey with friends and family. As it stands, I have to have my photos (maybe geotagged) uploaded to smugmug, and the track file uploaded elsewhere and it gets complicated to share with people.

2) Im looking for a place to go for a trip and scouting out peoples pictures on smugmug. If they have used this feature, I can see the path they took to see these particular sights, and if I want to follow it when I take my trip.

A view that shows the map specifically for a gallery and with a path attached to it is the logical extension to the smugmaps feature. The map gets too cluttered if it shows more than one gallery, and I'd like to see it all at once anyway. Maybe with some sort of layout like this (pardon the total lack of artistic talent, obviously the colors would have to look slick like a normal smugmug page)..

187935822-M.jpg

Comments, ideas welcome. I'll add it to the request thread later. If I can figure out a way to hack the site so that I can view styles that are completely my own (and have them be on the style dropdown) I'll create a mockup. Thats an idea for another time.. the ability to custom create complete view styles, but I digress.

-Russ
    Don't sweat the petty things and Don't pet the sweaty things!

http://plumgraphics.net
    J D Plummer

• suchitsuchit Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Great idea
    Really nice feature. Apart from what you mentioned, I visit a number of cities and I normally have my GPS tracking all the locations. Then I geo-tag the images with WWMX and upload the GPX data elsewhere, this would be nice to give a walk-through a city.

~ Suchit
    http://photos.suchit.in/
    ~ Suchit Nanda
    http://photos.suchit.in/ http://suchitnanda.org/
    Transforming light into expressions of emotions.
  • glasbergenglasbergen Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Great idea!
    I know I'd like it! thumb.gif Can't we somehow embed a personalized google map somewhere in any gallery style? It doesn't have to be a separate style for me. I think it could work out well with journal style for example if the first picture in the gallery could be a map (including a gps track, etc).
  • asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    glasbergen wrote:
    I know I'd like it! thumb.gif Can't we somehow embed a personalized google map somewhere in any gallery style? It doesn't have to be a separate style for me. I think it could work out well with journal style for example if the first picture in the gallery could be a map (including a gps track, etc).

This would be great. I'm all for any sort of improvement to smugmaps, and this seems like a great way of showing the pictures AND the map.

Personally, I stamp my GPS data onto jpegs via Picasa+Google Earth since I don't have a GPS device to produce logs (just a good memory and high quality satellite imagery courtesy Google).