Options

New Camera Advice, Time to Settle Down

TrentTrent Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited August 28, 2007 in Cameras
Hi all,

I've finally decided to buy a new camera. I have been thinking about it for about a year. Ever since my old camera got destroyed floating down a river in Lao, I've been a bit of a camera slut, and borrowing everyone else’s. Its time for me to settle down again :lust

I'm an enthusiastic amateur. I usually take landscape photography, but find myself getting more into sports photography. At some stage I would like to do portraiture, stock photography; and maybe some photo journalism.

I've definitely decided on a digital SLR, and am pretty much sold on the cannon line. I have tried both Nikon and Cannon mid range amateur SLR's. I find the Nikon easier to use, but I prefer the large market share that Cannon has.

For my price range and ability level I think the 30D range is the right one for me. The new 40D has just come out, and I'm not sure if the extra dollars in my position is worth it or not. What do you think? Do I get the 30D and be behind the 8 ball straight away? Or do I wait one painful month until the 40D becomes available?

Where to buy from? I live in Australia so I don't have the best prices available to me. I've checked the local prices, and the best I've got for the 30D, without haggling, is $1500AUD. How lower could I get this price?

If I order from an online store in the states I can get the 30D for $1200AUD (no GST). I have a relative to post on any gear, if getting it posted to Australia is too difficult. Is there any warranty issues I should be concerned about ordering from the states? What about postal insurance issues?

I'm not sure how coupons work. Cannon has one open until the 31 Aug. Should I rush in and get it before this expires? or will another coupon become available after this date? My address will be a US one, so this shouldn't pose a problem, but if I order with my Australian credit card, will this void me of the coupon?

Oh lenses. My first lens I'm looking at is the 28-135 EF IS USM. Second lens will be the 10-22, then a fast prime lens.

Too many questions and decisions. I've been looking all day long, and haven't made it though half of them. Anyway, any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Trent.

Comments

• Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Why would market share be a decision factor if you find the Nikons easier to use? Both Canon and Nikon have a long history of support and accesories. Pros make a living with both. Just curious about that reasoning.
  • Options
    billyshobbybillyshobby Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Actually I find canon more user friendly.... its personal preference i think.
    Just get one, most important matters at hand is to enjoying photography.

Cheers.mwink.gif
  • Options
    TrentTrent Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    Why would market share be a decision factor if you find the Nikons easier to use? Both Canon and Nikon have a long history of support and accesories. Pros make a living with both. Just curious about that reasoning.

Nikon, Canon, not much difference, unless you are easily infuenced from branding :P. The main decision point for me, apart from branding, was market share. Ideally more people equals more support, easier for me to re-sell, more people understand me, I can operate more cameras quickly and efficiently... but I'm happy they have decent compitition.

Trent.