Options

Fires in Greece

adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
edited August 30, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
A bit of excitement while on holiday.

These first two were taken from my villa.
DSC03017.jpg

DSC03005.jpg

as you can see I don't have any fancy stitching s/w and an inconsistant camera make panoramas a challenge.
You won't see them here but there are three planes and a helicopter just at hill top level.
DSC03010.jpg

the skill and bravery of these guys is unbelievable. They did this *all* day.
DSC03034.jpg

I just like this shot
DSC03038.jpg

and the aftermath
DSC03069.jpg

No-one died here but the death toll is at 49 with the current fires in the Peloponese. :cry
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Adrian
my stuff is here.....

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    adrian_k wrote:
    A bit of excitement while on holiday.
    as you can see I don't have any fancy stitching s/w and an inconsistant camera make panoramas a challenge.

You won't see them here but there are three planes and a helicopter just at hill top level.

the skill and bravery of these guys is unbelievable. They did this *all* day.
    I just like this shot
    and the aftermath

Isn't it nice to know that help is available at times like these.
    Hooray for the Fire Fighters clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks for sharing Adrian .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Great series thanks for sharing !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    nice series! the fires in greece are on our (Netherlands) news constantly, every country (even canada) is sending their fire fighting planes and helicopters to greece. that is some photo-op!

btw. try setting your camera to manual (dont change throughout shooting) and preset the wb (not auto) in order to get consequent photos for panorama. you should get more similar photos.
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Nice set of pictures. Appreciate being able to see them.

The loss of life these fires in Greece have caused is totally unexpected to me.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    every country (even canada) is sending their fire fighting planes and helicopters to greece.

Yes, after the fire I was talking to one of the helicopter pilots. He was from the US, the funny thing is that he was more concerned about tackling the London underground for the first time than putting out forest fires.
    btw. try setting your camera to manual (dont change throughout shooting) and preset the wb (not auto) in order to get consequent photos for panorama. you should get more similar photos.

that pano shot is made of three frames, the only difference between the left and middle frames is that the first was taken with auto-exposure (and sunny wb), the second I used the exposure settings for the manual settings (+sunny wb). At the time I didn't think that there would be that much difference between the processing of auto and manual with the same settings.

thanks for the thought anyway.
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    Phil_LPhil_L Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Epic pictures! thumb.gif

There is some speculation in the press that a lot of the fires are arson, instigated by speculators trying to get around restrictive land development regulations.

Hope it isn't so......
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    I'm afraid that's also what I've heard. Also (in a perverse sort of way) I glad to hear the arrested arsonists are being charged with murder.
    Phil_L wrote:
    Epic pictures! thumb.gif

There is some speculation in the press that a lot of the fires are arson, instigated by speculators trying to get around restrictive land development regulations.

Hope it isn't so......
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....