Options

Red Moon (Lunar Eclipse) on August 28th

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
Saw this info on dpreview (thanks to "Dr. Steve" there).
There is a lunar eclipse occuring on the early morning on Tues, Aug 28. Should make for a nice red moon. Here's a photo from NASA on where it will appear.

TLE2007Aug28-Map1s.GIF

Link:http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEmono/TLE2007Aug28/TLE2007Aug28.html

Comments

• Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    Also found this very cool exposure guide
    LEexpo.GIF
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Sleepless nights...
    Should be ideal here on the west coast, so I'm planning to give it a try this time with my little 70-200 and a 1.4x. Guess that's better than not trying at all. Thanks for the exposure guide! Gonna be a long night with the eclipse starting at 1:51 and ending at 5:24 am PDT.

And if anyone really wants to have a sleepless week, the Aurigid meteor showers will show on the morning of September 1, and according to Sky and Telescope magazine an outburst from Aurigid has NEVER been photographed. Here's someone's chance to make history! rolleyes1.gif Apparently they are very hit or miss, but when they're good, they are really good. Few people know about them, but they say that the odds are for a good show this year. Here's the article if want to read about it:
    http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/9332696.html

Lori
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Cool. I might just set the alarm & give the lunar eclipse a try.
  • Options
    jenniferjennifer Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Alright, I'll give it a go. I figure I owe it to the rest of the world who won't get as good a view as we West Coasters. Hmm, if I go to sleep right now.... mwink.gif
    40D, 10-22, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 75-300 IS, 1.4x TC
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2007
    The Danjon Scale of Brightness to calculate L in E's chart above. Sorry about the formatting , just can't get this cut and paste to work right. The L value is listed above the description.

Danjon Scale of Brightness
    L Value
    Description
    Very dark eclipse, Moon almost invisible,
    especially at midtotality.
    Dark eclipse, gray or brownish coloration;
    details distinguishable only with difficulty.
    Deep red or rust-colored eclipse, with a
    very dark central part in the umbra and
    the outer rim of the umbra relatively bright.
    Brick-red eclipse, usually with a bright
    or yellow rim to the umbra.
    Very bright copper-red or orange eclipse,
    with a bluish, very bright umbral rim.

Lori
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Okay I'm up eek7.gif

Let's get this show on the road!
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Here is my attempt. I really need a remote. Or I should say I really need to FIND my remote. Not great, but could have been worse.

188884678-M.jpg

Full gallery can be seen here for what it's worth
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3381759/
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Nice shots Jennifer.
    I was able to wake up in time but there was too much cloud cover to take a decent shot...
    Looking forward to seeing everyone else's results.
    Guess I'll have to hope for better weather on February 20th.
    E
  • Options
    MrPartsMrParts Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Nice job on your series.
    I missed it this morning (fell back to sleep), so I have been looking for the photos everyone took.
    Enjoy your life, it's the only one you get.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    I actually woke up in time! wings.gif Just before totaltity, so had time to check position, get dressed (ok reverse those two. eek7.gif), grab the camera and start shooting. The moon was in a good position for me--completely clear sky & the only streetlight in the way was blocked by my patio wall, so I think I got as good a shot as was possible with my lowly gear (20D+70-200). Lots of cropping to do. I'll edit & post later tonight.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    I used the 70-200 and the 1.4x TC. I'm not sure if the TC had anything to do with the softness of the shots. Probably a combination of that plus not having a remote. I wish mine were a little sharper, but right now I think I'd settle for a long nap! :oogle
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Ah... I just stayed up! :) I'm processing right now and I should be able to post some here in a few minutes...
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    I started processing as soon as it was over and got tired of sorting through them (I shot 2 mb with bracketing), so I gave up and took a nap (I stayed up straight through, too). Working on them now and will post in a little while.

I agree about the 1.4 Jennifer - my crops are a lot sharper when I don't use it, and I wish I hadn't used it last night. Oh well, there's another one in March.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    OffTopic wrote:
    I started processing as soon as it was over and got tired of sorting through them (I shot 2 mb with bracketing), so I gave up and took a nap (I stayed up straight through, too). Working on them now and will post in a little while.

I agree about the 1.4 Jennifer - my crops are a lot sharper when I don't use it, and I wish I hadn't used it last night. Oh well, there's another one in March.

I got such clear shots early on it didn't occur to me to take it off once the light levels plummeted. Will the March one be as good as this one? I was amazed by my view. I got really lucky and it wasn't until the moon was coming out of totality that it started to set behind the house in front of me. Before that I had a perfect view from my kitchen balcony clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Here's my first so far,

A long exposure...

188955787-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    I like your multiple exposure. I'd like to give that a try if I get ambitious later.

My gallery is up http://www.careyphoto.com/gallery/3383233#188983905
    I'm happy considering it's my first try, and I learned a few things to keep in mind for next time.

188984059-S-2.jpg

Lori
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    OffTopic wrote:
    I like your multiple exposure. I'd like to give that a try if I get ambitious later.

My gallery is up http://www.careyphoto.com/gallery/3383233#188983905
    I'm happy considering it's my first try, and I learned a few things to keep in mind for next time.

188984059-S-2.jpg

Lori

Thanks,

You've got a awesome shot of totality, unfortunately, I didn't expose my totality shots very well... :(
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Great shots, everyone! Ben I really like the multiple exposure as well. Care to share your technique??
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Thanks! Just wish it wasn't so cropped.

My mistake on the only total lunar eclipse in 2008. The date is February 20. Jennifer for us on the west coast it will start at 5:43pm and end at 9:09pm. I think it should be dark enough at 5:43 in February, but from the chart it looks like we might just miss the very beginning. Totality will only last about 25 minutes and it won't be centered like it was last night.

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/OH/OHfigures/OH2008-Fig02.pdf
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    OffTopic wrote:
    Thanks! Just wish it wasn't so cropped.

My mistake on the only total lunar eclipse in 2008. The date is February 20. Jennifer for us on the west coast it will start at 5:43pm and end at 9:09pm. I think it should be dark enough at 5:43 in February, but from the chart it looks like we might just miss the very beginning. Totality will only last about 25 minutes and it won't be centered like it was last night.

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/OH/OHfigures/OH2008-Fig02.pdf

I'm willing to forgo a little penumbral action if it means I can get a full night's sleep :D
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    I was shooting off a deck in Wellington New Zealand, the cloud was coming and going but the last half was mostly clear.

I've got a few more to process including some bracketed exposures of the half and half that I need to stack together, but here's the gallery I put together before going to bed (the eclipse finished about 1am here)

http://ogle.smugmug.com/gallery/3381966

I was using a Canon 5D, Canon 400mm f5.6,Canon 70-200 2.8L IS with 2x teleconverter and a huuuuge Nikon 800mm f5.6 with a canon mount

188902842-L.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Beautiful shots! I am jealous of your glass and the fact that you got to bed at a reasonable hour! I was thinking about trying to use the camera with my telescope to get some magnification, but I figured I'd better learn to crawl first. :D

Please post your stacked shots. Would love to see them.
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Thanks Lori, unfortunately it's not my glass, I just have nice friends :)

Here's a small series shot on the 400mm over 13 min.

189080104-L.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    jennifer wrote:
    Great shots, everyone! Ben I really like the multiple exposure as well. Care to share your technique??
    Sure! There's not much to it...

Here you go!

Link:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=625966

Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    jogle wrote:
    Thanks Lori, unfortunately it's not my glass, I just have nice friends :)

Here's a small series shot on the 400mm over 13 min.

189080104-Th.jpg

Awesom shot! I like it alot!
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    Bendr wrote:
    Sure! There's not much to it...

Here you go!

Link:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=625966

Enjoy!

Thanks very much for the tutorial, Ben. I don't have as many exposures as you did, so I won't attempt it. But I will certainly keep this in mind for next year when the eclipse will occur at a much more reasonable hour! :D
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 30, 2007