Options

Improve this "Bride at the Window" picture?

seekerseeker Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited August 30, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm not sure whether this post belongs here or in the "Techniques" thread, so I will just post it here for now.

I have been playing around in Photoshop, trying to improve the following picture I took a couple weeks ago at a wedding I shot:

188047697-L.jpg

I think the picture has some good potential; I just can't seem to draw anything more out of the image than I have done so far.

Anyone got any ideas? :)

Brian

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Brian,

What more are you trying to "draw out"? Are you happy with the blown out window? I think the effect gives a bit a of a magical, fantasy like feeling. Or were you wanting better detail in the window?

If anything, you might want the overall image to have a soft focus feel. The bottom of the dress shows a bit sharper detail than the top half. Maybe try a soft vignette around the edge to give focus to the bride.

A much tighter crop might assist in this. Maybe 8x10 format of just the window area. You'd lose a lot of the dress, but end up with a soft, highkey image.

It really depends on what you want this picture to be.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    You have the Raw or it's an in-camera JPEG? IF the former, there's lots that can probably be pulled out of the window as far as detail is concerned. If JPEG, you're kind of stuck. Highlight clipping means no data in a rendered image.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    I would high key the window,this will put some focus on the bride and a little more contrast after that.
    Then crop the little bit of red wall on the right out ,its taking away from the bride.
    Last maybe try a bit of selective blurring on the bottom half to soften it a bit.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    seeker wrote:
    I'm not sure whether this post belongs here or in the "Techniques" thread, so I will just post it here for now.

I have been playing around in Photoshop, trying to improve the following picture I took a couple weeks ago at a wedding I shot:

I think the picture has some good potential; I just can't seem to draw anything more out of the image than I have done so far.

Anyone got any ideas? :)

Brian
    I like this shot.

As others have said, the window highlights are gone from this JPEG so you'd need a RAW original to try to recover some of them. But, leaving the highlights as they are, there are things you can do with the foreground to add contrast and pull out some more detail.
    • Some shadow/highlights
    • A curve with a contrast mask to raise contrast in just the foreground
    • Some selective sharpening
    Modified version on the left, your posting on the right
    188151603-O.jpg188047697-L.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Seems to me the point of the image is the gown. Could bring some more drama out of the intricate folds of cloth.

weddingdress.jpg
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • Options
    D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Heres my quick edit on it ..
    I dont believe in doing heavy processing but in this case I would have shot it this way..
    188047697-L2.jpg
  • Options
    BetziBetzi Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2007
    Lovely photo...but the thing that detracts me is the color. Even with the red dulled down...there are still those two competing color spots...the green and the red. I am thinking that it might just make a very rich black and white.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Betzi wrote:
    Lovely photo...but the thing that detracts me is the color. Even with the red dulled down...there are still those two competing color spots...the green and the red. I am thinking that it might just make a very rich black and white.

Agree 100%.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Another B&W.

p1021120679.jpg
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Quick mode:
    188483162-L-LB.jpg
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    mwink.gif

188047697-La.jpg
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    BetziBetzi Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2007
    :) I love it in black and white ! One little thing....is that window lock...in the way visually? I think it could...go away :)
  • Options
    lindselindse Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2007
    How about these takes? I used lightroom..
    after1.jpg

after2.jpg

after4.jpg

and my fav:
    after3.jpg
  • Options
    lindselindse Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2007
    Betzi wrote:
    :) I love it in black and white ! One little thing....is that window lock...in the way visually? I think it could...go away :)

I cloned it away on all mine - cause it disturbed my eye :)
  • Options
    fehlingerfehlinger Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    I think a 5 x 7 crop where you start in the upper left corner and crop for removal of any red paint from her right side looks nice. I also like the way it looks with a soft blur in both color and B/W.
    Cary
    Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Options
    kimhayeskimhayes Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    I tried b&w with a soft focus. :shrug:
  • Options
    chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    kimhayes wrote:
    I tried b&w with a soft focus. :shrug:

There a different angle?
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    kimhayeskimhayes Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    chrisjlee wrote:
    There a different angle?

I was messing in PSP, and did a soft focus on it. ne_nau.gif Not sure what you mean.
  • Options
    seekerseeker Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback and samples! I have made some changes, based on some of the suggestions made, as follows:

- brushed out the window handle
    - provided two different versions, one cropped in closer

In addition, I noticed this horrible red tint to the dress, no doubt due to bouncing my flash off that VERY red wall, so I took the tint out of the dress.

Here is what I ended up with:

189797020-L.jpg

189797123-L.jpg

- Brian