Pre-Season Field Hockey

wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
edited August 29, 2007 in Sports
I know field hockey doesn't have a huge following..but it's what my daughters play, so I'm there too...

Haven't taken too many shots over the past few weeks, so it was nice to get back outside. However, I always find this sport so hard to shoot with the ball at the feet and everyone crouched over. Also, the ball seemed to stay on the far side of the field much of the game, making it a bit tougher. Nonetheless, here's some of what I came away with.

As always, appreciate any feedback...

187853821-M.jpg

187858112-M.jpg

187859342-M.jpg

187861387-M.jpg

187862560-M.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Regards

Will

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    hi Will,

I think ya done good, given the circumstances. It looks like it's got to be hard to get the ball in frame w/ the grass is almost as high as the ball is tall eek7.gif . I imagine you spend a lot of time sitting and shooting up in order to be getting faces.

good luck to both you and your daughter this season and I'll be looking for for more.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Colleen:

Thanks for the comments. The grass was pretty thick--and was slowing down the play as well as making it hard to capture the ball in the image.

However, I usually like to take shots from a kneeling position with most sports--not just field hockey. The only problem is that the crown of the field sometimes causes difficulties when the action is on the other side of the field.

Thanks again

Will
    Regards

Will
    wmstumme wrote:
    The only problem is that the crown of the field sometimes causes difficulties when the action is on the other side of the field.

Is that relatively common back east? I was taking pictures of my niece's soccer game back in Virginia and the crown was so high that even standing up, I couldn't see much below their knees when they were on the opposite side of the field. Can't say I've ever seen a field like that here in Cali...
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    Is that relatively common back east?

I'm not sure. I think it varies from field to field. Obviously it's done for drainage purposes, and I've seen several fields that get to be swamps because they have depressions in the middle instead of a crown. This was a new, and pretty nicely kept field (the grass was just a bit high)...

However, here is one of my "throwaways" to show how bad it could get with the lower angle/shooting position I prefer...
    Regards

Will
    COOL! I love Field Hockey! Nice shots!
    LT
    Sony A700&VG; KM 7D&VG; KM 5D; Min 28-75/2.8; 50/1.7; Tammie 17-50/2.8; Tammie 90/2.8 Macro; Min 80-200/2.8; and Min 300/2.8, two flashes, and a couple of other accessories.