LPS11 - Changing Landscape

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited September 2, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Now that sport season has pretty much ended, I want to start participating again - I looked back at what I had shot at the beginning of LPS and realize that I was pushed to do some pretty good stuff. I got so busy I just couldn't present good wok - just rushed entries. So here are my concepts for LPS 11: My changing landscape:

188072747-M.jpg

188072701-M.jpg

These are shots of the development taking place at the end of my street - turning a beautiful wheat field and ecosystem into housing. I can recrop, reprocess, reshoot.

Anything here?

ann

Comments

• Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    There's obviously potential there but I don't think either of your images has conveyed the story yet.
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif

The machines are too far away from the viewer. Maybe a closer shot with some machinery in action...
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • SunsetSailorSunsetSailor Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    I like #1 because it seems to protray the scale of what machines can do for us - small machines can do big jobs. However, I think that story could be told with only half of this image which would make the machine larger. Also it needs some pop.
    Laura
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Olympus EVolt 500
    [/FONT]
    http://sunsetsailor.smugmug.com
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Thanks everyone

I am back to choosing between

My Changing Landscape - might change the title to 'Scale'

188072747-M.jpg

Or
    The Work Day is Done:
    190632967-M.jpg
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Ann, I like them both and each tells a story. The first is more subtle and I do wish that the machinery were a bit larger in the frame. Nevertheless it has a quiet elegance about it and the sky is beautiful. I prefer your original title to "Scale."

The second has that sunset thing going for it and is more dramatic. On first glance it has more of the "wow" factor. It is similiar to one already entered, which isn't a reason not to enter it but perhaps a consideration in making your choice.

I'm leaning towards #1, but given my track record that means you should probably enter #2. rolleyes1.gifGo with your heart and good luck!

Virginia

Email
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Ann,
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Thanks everyone
    I am back to choosing between
    My Changing Landscape - might change the title to 'Scale'
    Or
    The Work Day is Done:
    I'm leaning towards #2. Do you have a larger version though?

EDIT: I would lose pole on the right and add some sky, it's beautiful!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited September 2, 2007
    Thanks, Virginia!

Thanks, Nik thumb.gif

ann
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Wow, tough choice. I like #1 but agree with Virginia that the machinery could be a little larger in the frame. I also like your original name.

The second one seems to express more of the machine theme to me though so I would pick that one. I'm only marginally successful at picking the finalists out though (about 60% correct).

Good luck choosing and hope you fair well in the contest.
    edited September 2, 2007
    Thanks, Dave. I will waffle until the last minute I'm sure. Currently entered this version of shot 2:
    190741528-M.jpg

dlscott56 wrote:
    Wow, tough choice. I like #1 but agree with Virginia that the machinery could be a little larger in the frame. I also like your original name.

The second one seems to express more of the machine theme to me though so I would pick that one. I'm only marginally successful at picking the finalists out though (about 60% correct).

Good luck choosing and hope you fair well in the contest.
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Oh, I like #2 the best with the beautiful silouettes of the machines against the sunset (or is that sunrise?). Who could have thought heavy duty machines could look so artistic?
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    You made a good decision. :D

Virginia

Email