Options

New trick for the day.

hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited March 6, 2004 in Finishing School
For you PS noobs like me!

If you ever tried to adjust a photo with the Image/Adjustments/Auto Levels, Auto Color, or Auto Contrast and did not get the results you wanted, stand by. The process below shows how to blend 2 of these adjustments to get results somewhere in between.

1. Start with the image you want to adjust open.
2. Select Image/Duplicate and name 3 duplicate images - levels, color, and contrast.
3. Select Window/Documents/Tile to arrange the 4 windows so they can be viewed simultaneously.
4. In each duplicate window perform the auto adjustment for that window - i.e. Auto Color, Auto Contrast, and Auto Levels.
5. Assuming the results for each are not what you want, yoy can merge 2 of the windows by selecting Image/Apply Image.
6. Source should be selected from the window (leves, color, or contrast) that you want to blend with this window.
7. Change Blending to Normal.
8. Vary the Opacity to achieve the blend desired.

This seems to be fairly easy when used in practice. The results can sometimes be much better than the original or any of the auto adjustments.

This was the original picture. Really very flat and ugly.

2715953-L.jpg

This is the adjustment using a blend of Auto Contrast and Auto Color.

2715954-L.jpg

Much better I think.

I found this idea in Photoshop User Magazine. It seems to have a lot of info for the noob and for the more advanced user. The current issue has a Photoshop Painting on the front cover. The painting is so realistic, it looks like a photograph.

Hope this helps some of you.

Hutch

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    For you PS noobs like me!

If you ever tried to adjust a photo with the Image/Adjustments/Auto Levels, Auto Color, or Auto Contrast and did not get the results you wanted, stand by. The process below shows how to blend 2 of these adjustments to get results somewhere in between.

1. Start with the image you want to adjust open.
    2. Select Image/Duplicate and name 3 duplicate images - levels, color, and contrast.
    3. Select Window/Documents/Tile to arrange the 4 windows so they can be viewed simultaneously.
    4. In each duplicate window perform the auto adjustment for that window - i.e. Auto Color, Auto Contrast, and Auto Levels.
    5. Assuming the results for each are not what you want, yoy can merge 2 of the windows by selecting Image/Apply Image.
    6. Source should be selected from the window (leves, color, or contrast) that you want to blend with this window.
    7. Change Blending to Normal.
    8. Vary the Opacity to achieve the blend desired.

This seems to be fairly easy when used in practice. The results can sometimes be much better than the original or any of the auto adjustments.

This was the original picture. Really very flat and ugly.

2715953-L.jpg

This is the adjustment using a blend of Auto Contrast and Auto Color.

2715954-L.jpg

Much better I think.

I found this idea in Photoshop User Magazine. It seems to have a lot of info for the noob and for the more advanced user. The current issue has a Photoshop Painting on the front cover. The painting is so realistic, it looks like a photograph.

Hope this helps some of you.

Hutch
    Hmm... most interesting hutch... I shall try it. Thanks.
    Lynn
  • Options
    soupsoup Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2004
    you could probably get very similar results working within one image, using layers, and blending modes/opacity, rather than duplicating the image a few times.

you can also have more control of the effects by actually using the levels, curves, and channels palletes rather than using the auto functions.

but your end result is much better than the original...
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2004
    soup wrote:
    you can also have more control of the effects by actually using the levels, curves, and channels palletes rather than using the auto functions.

Indeed. Here's my version, manually adjusting levels to brighten the image and contrast about +20. Not much difference in the sky (a little more purple) but notice that the ground color is still very brown.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2004
    I have actually shied away from using auto adjustments because I was not getting the results I wanted. I usually use curves or the manual level adjustments and have been happy with my results.

The reason I liked this apprioach was the ability to view 3 separate adjusted versions of the original file. They are all open and can be compared together. If you find 2 that bracket what you want, use 'em.

This process may not be for everyone, but it is another way to "skin the cat."

Hutch