Options

my 1982 Maico

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited October 9, 2007 in Sports
I purchased this 1982 Maico at Vintage Days at Mid Ohio last month. I plan on rejuvenating it. finding a big hill to bump start it on. a big field with no rocks or trees. and changing the earths roation by attempting a 3rd gear hole shot.

until that time its a whole lot of fun to just sit and stare at and the lines are poetry in motion. captivating. its only money and I will return this bike to full operational condition. eventually.

Motocross Actions #1 motocross bike of all time. the 1981 490 Maico. mines an 82 but we take what we can get.

its scary to realize there are 2 kinds of people on this earth. those who own 490 Maico's and those who don't. I'm in elite company and the photo ops are endless. she's an attention whore. :hotfood

188272022-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    188280501-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    182840351-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    180652809-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    180631784-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    188280537-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    180772504-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    vintage rules.

185343847-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2007
    day 689 in the enduring Maico a day photo saga. I bumped up the ASA to 400, (would have gone with 490) and left the flash on max for a totallly washed period Kodak 110 look of the mighty 490. went on full Manual and opened up the F stop and let that bitch rip.

talk about a lousy picture.

188702877-L.jpg
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    This looks like something I would take. :D

188702877-L.jpg

Well it's no 1978 Husky CR 250 like I've got, but if you can't find a good Husky, Maico is always second best.:hide
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:

Well it's no 1978 Husky CR 250 like I've got, but if you can't find a good Husky, Maico is always second best.:hide

do tell! Its good to see that people are collecting vintage LMX (ladies motocross) as in (250's).

man up and get a 390 would you?

day 3 of the Maico a day saga continues.

189094953-L.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited September 1, 2007
    Looks like you've still got some work to do on the sheet rock lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    amadeus wrote:
    do tell! Its good to see that people are collecting vintage LMX (ladies motocross) as in (250's).

man up and get a 390 would you?

I was always told, guys who buy big bores were making up for lack of displacement elsewhere.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:
    I was always told, guys who buy big bores were making up for lack of displacement elsewhere.rolleyes1.gif

someone couldn't keep a secret.

day 17 of the Maico a day photo project. Shooting with the new D40 on full manual @ 160 shutter speed with a wide open f stop. a bit of Rembrandtesque light textures if I do say so myself on the big radial jug.

192870171-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2007
    Maico on a porch.

Thomas Hart Benton

195007533-L.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2007
    I definitely feel the love. I sense a fin fetish. The D40 shot is sweet.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    I like the fin shot. Fetish or not. iloveyou.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2007
    todays shot in my very popular Maico a day thread.

"god knew our roads were tough and windy. so thats why god made the red 490".

perfect words Owen. Perfect words.

198597798-L.jpg
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    My first bike was a Hodaka Wombat Combat 125. I was 12. Remember that one? Win-nin-nin-nin-nin-nin-nin-nin!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 3, 2007
    amadeus wrote:
    vintage rules.

185343847-Th.jpg
    You talkin 'bout my woman or the classic Mac'ers apple pie???? lol3.gif

I can't wait to take that Maico for a spin in a couple years nod.gif And I see the GS in the background... is that just a fashion shoot or is she running again???
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 3, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You talkin 'bout my woman or the classic Mac'ers apple pie???? lol3.gif

I can't wait to take that Maico for a spin in a couple years nod.gif And I see the GS in the background... is that just a fashion shoot or is she running again???

it was just a sentimental photo op moment as I celebrated my brief status as the owner of 4 motorcycles. but we're down to 3 now, the GS has been sold. :cry

and the IT may go this weekend. then we'll be down to 2.

a regular Band of Brothers.

by the time you get back the Maico should be done. I've been flip flopping between restoring it as the single shock it is or building a twin shock. twin shock 490's are becoming the holy grail of vintage mx.

but I think I'm going to keep it a single shock.

199455084-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2007
    amadeus wrote:
    it was just a sentimental photo op moment as I celebrated my brief status as the owner of 4 motorcycles. but we're down to 3 now, the GS has been sold. :cry
    what's happening?! our old new england chapter won't have any GS's left! hopefully it goes in cycles. I'm loving this airhead for the small amount of riding I do, but the more I think about it, the more I definitely see myself on another GS once stateside.

IT going already? haven't you only had it a short time? did the Maico steel your heart, not enough room for 2?

A good photo, and even if for a brief time, 4 bikes is a pretty good collection!
    Erik

• Options
    Hudworks76Hudworks76 Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Maico. Brutal sound. Unforgiving powerband. But addictive.

I had the same kind of love affair with a a little more tame 1980's Suzuki TS125 and it wasn't even mine, but it would always start when it was hot!

Here's something of the new breed in town. Sadly again only temporary ownership was enjoyed....you can look at this bike from any angle and it always has something...
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    Hudworks76 wrote:
    Here's something of the new breed in town. Sadly again only temporary ownership was enjoyed....you can look at this bike from any angle and it always has something...
    I'm currently lusting for a Hypermotard as well. nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    what's happening?! our old new england chapter won't have any GS's left! hopefully it goes in cycles. I'm loving this airhead for the small amount of riding I do, but the more I think about it, the more I definitely see myself on another GS once stateside.

IT going already? haven't you only had it a short time? did the Maico steel your heart, not enough room for 2?

A good photo, and even if for a brief time, 4 bikes is a pretty good collection!

IT is still here. Someone expreseed an interest in it who was going to the SMOG so I brought it there. The good part was I finally got to ride it, or IT? Wow there is a tricky little play on words. Think about it. I mean think about the word not the bike. If you think about it, it was the first chance I got to ride it, or on IT. Damn it's gettng worse. Anway I rode it and IT was quite a lot of fun. Seems it kind of likes to loft the front wheel with minimal coaxing. It could become addictive. I've decided to keep it. or IT.

whatever.

day 39 of the famous Maico a day thread.

"north of Austin you'll find Waco see if you can find the Maico."

:lol4

199454717-L.jpg