Options

Suggestions for Lassen Natl Park

Luv2shootLuv2shoot Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited August 28, 2007 in Landscapes
I'm heading there for a few days of hiking and photography. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to see, what not to bother with?
Anything would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    johnhjohnh Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    plenty at Lassen
    I was at Lassen in June last year. The park still had 25 ft of snow and most of the roads were still closed. Expect to see lots of volcanoes, geysers, hot springs, snow, and critters. I was there on a climbing trip and did the south face of Lassen peak direct. The normal summer trail should be open now, so if your in shape it should offer some very good views of the area including Shasta to the north. All of my pics were taken with a Pentax p&s.

mt.lassen.jpg
    lassenselfportrait.jpg

ShastafromthecraterofLassen.jpg
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Last time I was there we hiked out to a cinder cone past a number of very nice lakes. It was a fair distance, but relatively flat so it wasn't too hard to do the round trip in a day. I highly recommend that hike; it is varied and scenic.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Last time I was there we hiked out to a cinder cone past a number of very nice lakes. It was a fair distance, but relatively flat so it wasn't too hard to do the round trip in a day. I highly recommend that hike; it is varied and scenic.
    Fantastic thank you so much I'm looking forward to hiking and just enjoying the outdoors.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Luv2shoot wrote:
    Fantastic thank you so much I'm looking forward to hiking and just enjoying the outdoors.
    That's quite a bit of snow, I'm hoping that most is gone as we're planning on camping.
  • Options
    johnhjohnh Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Luv2shoot wrote:
    That's quite a bit of snow, I'm hoping that most is gone as we're planning on camping.

All of the snow should be gone from the campground this time of year. We stayed just outside the park in a national forest campground due all of the park ones being snowed in. Here is a pic of the Battle Creek campground and one of the snow taken just below Helen Lake.

battlecreekcampground.jpg

25ft.jpg