It's been a while

LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
edited August 28, 2007 in People
since I have posted in this forum. Here's a shot of my favorite subject from this weekend:

188567314-L.jpg

Miles turned three in July and is growing up rapidly...

Comments

• DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Nice smile and unique setting.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    DavidS wrote:
    Nice smile and unique setting.

The setting was his idea. He did need help getting in there though.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Well with shots like this (and a kid this cute), you should post more often!!! I really love this shot. What great coloring! Was there reflection (colored) from the tree stump itself or is this just a reflector or??? Whatever, it worked really well. He sure is growing up! :saurora
    edited August 27, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Well with shots like this (and a kid this cute), you should post more often!!! I really love this shot. What great coloring! Was there reflection (colored) from the tree stump itself or is this just a reflector or??? Whatever, it worked really well. He sure is growing up! :saurora

Thanks! Everything around that stump (tree, earth, grass) was varying shades of warm brown which gave the reflected light a pretty uniform warm color. There was a large branch in direct sun not too far out of the frame which was likely serving as the main light source. The overall effect was actually a bit much for my taste and I tweaked the WB and desaturated just a tad to tone it down.
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    That's a winner!!
    15524779-Ti.gif

The pose is really great and knowing kids that age you probably had to really twist his arm to get in in there.:D

Is the light due to sunset type light or did you manipulate it in some way?
    If there was manipulation I would sure like to know what you did because the color is outstanding.

Again I really like it.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Great shot...what a cutie =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    I like composition on this shot, and tree trunk gives it nice natural framing. Your boy is very cute iloveyou.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited August 28, 2007
    dmmattix wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

The pose is really great and knowing kids that age you probably had to really twist his arm to get in in there.:D

Is the light due to sunset type light or did you manipulate it in some way?
    If there was manipulation I would sure like to know what you did because the color is outstanding.

Again I really like it.

Mike

This shot was taken in the afternoon. The sun was still pretty high in the sky and back lighting the log. Usually shots taken in the shade are somewhat bluish because they are lit by the sky, but the light here has a strong mix of warm tones bounced off the log, dirt, and brown grass nearby. As Saurora mentioned, you can get light similar to this by shooting in the shade and using a gold toned reflector. I have a 5 in 1 reflector made by Photoflex which has white, gold, sliver and gold/sliver surfaces as well as a diffuser which gives you plenty of flexibility to tune your light.