Options

Stolen Canon S3 help if you can!!!

SupruwomanSupruwoman Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited August 28, 2007 in House of Canon
My son (16) had his Canon S3 IS stolen at Midway Airport a week ago. The serial number is 4328403880. He had 800+ photos of a once in a lifetime backpacking trip and he is heartbroken (me too).

He studied photography all summer so he could get great shots on this trip.

If you happen to purchase a used S3, please check the memory cards and see if there are still photos on them. They would be of high school age boys and adults backpacking and sightseeing in New Mexico and Colorado. This means everything to my son right now. I would pay for the cards or even for CD's with those photos. I know this is a longshot, and the cards were probably erased immediately, but I have to know that I've done everything possible to get these photos back for him.

If you have any advice for me on what I can do, I'm very open to anything. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    WideOpenStudioWideOpenStudio Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Man, what a tough lesson...
    That's a real bummer. My in-laws had their once-in-a-lifetime Alaska pics stolen (along with the camera) also in Chicago. Good luck. Try posting to the Canon forum at dpreview.com too if you haven't already. Way more people read there than here.

Michael
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Thanks
    Thanks Michael -- that's a great suggestion. I'm sorry about your in-laws' trip photos too; it is just so devastating when that happens. You're right, it's a tough lesson. Right now he doesn't even want to look at a camera, let alone replace the one he lost. I'll just do what I can and hope for a miracle!

That's a real bummer. My in-laws had their once-in-a-lifetime Alaska pics stolen (along with the camera) also in Chicago. Good luck. Try posting to the Canon forum at dpreview.com too if you haven't already. Way more people read there than here.

Michael
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Cant have anything nice these days in the US. Hoodlums either destroy it or steal it. We recently got our rental suv smashed into out in San Francisco... laptop and GPS stolen. Luckily they didnt steal our cisco 3745 router and cisco 3560 switch we had in the back rolleyes1.gif

My dad actually FORGOT his camera at a train station in Japan. He was so pissed because he left it sitting on the bench. A japanese colleauge of his told him to go back to the station as it was probably in lost+found. Sure enough, he went back later in the day and it was there in the station office!!! Just goes to show the culture we live in today here in the US... its sad really.

also post over at: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    You should post exact info about stolen memory card too !!!
    Manufacturer, model, size, unusual markings ...

Basically nobody check randomly used card/s with data recovery software without very obvious reason.

Good Luck anyway thumb.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    Luv2shootLuv2shoot Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Another place to watch would be your local Craigslist, stolen items tend to turn up there, I'm so sorry. I'll keep my eyes open also
  • Options
    navigator72navigator72 Banned Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    sorry
    Sorry to hear about the loss.

It's a long shot but check Ebay. You never know
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    Cant have anything nice these days in the US. Hoodlums either destroy it or steal it. We recently got our rental suv smashed into out in San Francisco... laptop and GPS stolen. Luckily they didnt steal our cisco 3745 router and cisco 3560 switch we had in the back rolleyes1.gif

I'm sorry about the loss, and glad they didn't get everything, and I hope you had the laptop backed up -- but it's devastating no matter what.

(Just goes to show the culture we live in today here in the US... its sad really).

Yes, it is, although I have to say my luck in the past has been good -- the vast majority of people are generally very caring and helpful. Sometimes you forget that there are a few bad apples out there and let your guard down -- that's when you get in trouble. Thanks for caring.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    z_28 wrote:
    You should post exact info about stolen memory card too !!!
    Manufacturer, model, size, unusual markings ...

Basically nobody check randomly used card/s with data recovery software without very obvious reason.

Good Luck anyway thumb.gif

You are so right about posting about the cards. . .and a great thought -- unfortunately I don't even know what brands they were. Never thought to pay attention to that. . . how much I've learned through this!
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Luv2shoot wrote:
    Another place to watch would be your local Craigslist, stolen items tend to turn up there, I'm so sorry. I'll keep my eyes open also

Thanks so much for that idea -- I didn't even know about Craigslist until recently, and wouldn't have thought of it. Thanks for caring and thanks for keeping a lookout.

Susan
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Sorry to hear about the loss.

It's a long shot but check Ebay. You never know

Thanks -- I have actually been very diligent on ebay -- even thought I found it once -- but when I questioned them, they had the box, cables and software. . . so it probably wasn't it. Thanks for caring and for responding. I really appreciate that all of you understand and are willing to try to help me. You are all wonderful!
    Susan