Need a new P&S for Baby Pictures

JoshFinkJoshFink Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited September 6, 2007 in Cameras
I thought this would be the perfect place to ask for some help. We're looking for a new P&S for the impending child in the next couple of weeks. I was hoping I could get it narrowed down to a couple of choices and then do some more research. I originally was looking at the Sony W200 but I see it didn't get too great of reviews. Canon's? What do people think?

My wife wants something easy to use that's small and takes good pictures.

I forgot to mention. My budget is $400

Thanks

Josh

Comments

• kimhayeskimhayes Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    I really like my Canon A430. My point and shoot isnt the best model, though. I couldnt afford the one I really wanted. But I really like it just the same and it takes really good pics. :yes:

By The Way, congrats on the new baby!!
  • JoshFinkJoshFink Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    kimhayes wrote:
    I really like my Canon A430. My point and shoot isnt the best model, though. I couldnt afford the one I really wanted. But I really like it just the same and it takes really good pics. :yes:

By The Way, congrats on the new baby!!

Thanks.. we're very excited...... I'll check out the Canon.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Baby camera
    Seriously, for taking photos of kids, you want to find a camera with really quick focusing. Nothing more frustrating than watching that fleeting facial expression, or perfect little headstand go away while the damn camera's hunting. Read up. I have no specific advice, except that I've been pretty happy with my Canon S3-IS, when the light's adequate. In low light it's a bit slow, but then it's not a DSLR. You asked about P&S. For a bit more, you could look at the Nikon D40 DSLR. You'd be happier longer maybe.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited September 4, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    Seriously, for taking photos of kids, you want to find a camera with really quick focusing. Nothing more frustrating than watching that fleeting facial expression, or perfect little headstand go away while the damn camera's hunting. Read up. I have no specific advice, except that I've been pretty happy with my Canon S3-IS, when the light's adequate. In low light it's a bit slow, but then it's not a DSLR. You asked about P&S. For a bit more, you could look at the Nikon D40 DSLR. You'd be happier longer maybe.

Thanks.. I would love a DSLR but the wife will NEVER carry it and I'll lose out on a ton of pictures... :D

Josh
    edited September 5, 2007
    Food for Thought
    The D40 is durn small. Trouble is, a new Mom is carrying around so much crap anyway, any camera is going to be left behind. Maybe your best bet would be two cameras wings.gif . . . get a 3 megapixel P&S for your wife to schlep, and an entry level DSLR for the good stuff. You can probably find a 3MP P&S for free from a friend who has "upgraded", chasing maxi-mega-pixels. I'm serious.
    John :
    edited September 5, 2007
    Oh, for what it's worth
    I use Nikon DSLRs, but I love Canon P&S cameras. Have two. They do such a nice job with color, expecially people.
    John :
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    For baby pics, I would get a DSLR. I photograph my niece and nephew all the time and it helps with getting their facial moments quickly. My niece has learned a fake smile for the camera, so I have to be quick to get her real smile.

I guess it depends on what you want. If you want quick candid shots, DSLR. If you get a P&S, make sure it has quick shutter response.
    edited September 6, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    For baby pics, I would get a DSLR. I photograph my niece and nephew all the time and it helps with getting their facial moments quickly. My niece has learned a fake smile for the camera, so I have to be quick to get her real smile.

I guess it depends on what you want. If you want quick candid shots, DSLR. If you get a P&S, make sure it has quick shutter response.

Thanks for the response. I readily agree with you .. The only problem is getting the wife to carry it around. I'm thinking about getting the Canon SD850IS or the new SD950IS next month... Hopefully the speeds on the camera are good.. We'll have to see.

Thanks

Josh
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 6, 2007
    I just purchased a Fujifilm F30, used but in like-new condition.

I must say that I am impressed with the autofocus speed and the responsiveness when pre-focussed is very nice. thumb.gifthumb

Low-light capabilities and the ability to turn off the "sounds" make the camera very stealthy and allows you to blend in to the background.

The F31fd should be very similar.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    I'd highly recommend getting the Canon SD850 IS or SD950 IS. You mentioned that your budget is $400. That would narrow down your choice to the SD850 IS. I've seen the SD850 IS for $300 on techbargains.com. I got the SD700 IS last year and I always have it with me anytime I leave the house. It's so compact you won't even notice it. Your wife will appreciate the compactness and user-friendliness. You'll love the IS (Image Stabilization) feature. The whole idea is to have it with you whenever you need it because it's compact and convenient to take it with you. Focusing is fast, even in low light (it has auto-focus assist beam). You'll also get decent video clips when your baby becomes mobil or vocal. You won't regret it. Best wishes with the delivery.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    +1 for the Fuji F30. Love it.

I reccomend you don't break the bank on the P&S because if you are like most people I know with kids ( me included ) you'll be more frustrated with the moments you capture out-of-focus that the ones you don't capture at all.

I have but a fuzzy record of my son's first three months. Never enough light. Always moving. Awkward hand positions. Finally I dropped some cabbage on a Rebel XT, Sigma 17-70 and some accessories and started capturing moments I never want to forget.

I hear ya on the wife not wanting to carry. My wife is the same way. Trouble is she won't carry ( or remember to use ) the P&S either!
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen