Options

Great Smokey Mtns.

adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited September 5, 2007 in Landscapes
I like landscape pictures, but I just don't do it often enough, so if/when I make it back to the mtns, was wondering if ya'll had some feedback for me. Let me know what you think... c.c is welcome and appreciated! :)

188947715-L.jpg

It seemed really hard to get good pictures... since they're well... smokey... LOL! :lol

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    henchcliffehenchcliffe Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Hi There,
    I grew up in Virginia but haven't visited the Smokey Mountains since I was a small fry. I like this picture, especially the dramatic cloud cover and probably because it brings back youthful memories.
    One thing I would suggest is to use a polarizer filter. That would bring out the blue in the sky and create more contrast with the clouds. Using a polarizer would also green up the mountains by cutting down on the reflection from the foliage.
    As it is, there's a blue cast throughout this picture that could probably be color corrected in PhotoShop. Although the Smokeys are kind of famous for being blue so I wouldn't overdo it.

thanks for sharing!

CMH

• Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    Thank you so much for the feedback! It's very appreciated! I only have a UV filter, I really should get a polarizer too! Thank you! Yes... the blue cast... I'll hve to play with it in PS. Thank you!!
    Hi There,
    I grew up in Virginia but haven't visited the Smokey Mountains since I was a small fry. I like this picture, especially the dramatic cloud cover and probably because it brings back youthful memories.
    One thing I would suggest is to use a polarizer filter. That would bring out the blue in the sky and create more contrast with the clouds. Using a polarizer would also green up the mountains by cutting down on the reflection from the foliage.
    As it is, there's a blue cast throughout this picture that could probably be color corrected in PhotoShop. Although the Smokeys are kind of famous for being blue so I wouldn't overdo it.

thanks for sharing!

CMH

• Options
    LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Ok, FYI, there is no "E" in Smoky. :-)

Very nice shot, the polarizer is mandatory for harsh sunny days, and it would have helped your sky a lot.

But it is a nice flatlands to mountains shot. I'm trying to decide where it was taken, but so far, I haven't identified it. I have a hunch, but not certain.

doug
    www.fotogafer.com (home for www.smokymountainsngallery.com)
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Cades Cove
    No Doubt
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    Lex wrote:
    Ok, FYI, there is no "E" in Smoky. :-)

Very nice shot, the polarizer is mandatory for harsh sunny days, and it would have helped your sky a lot.

But it is a nice flatlands to mountains shot. I'm trying to decide where it was taken, but so far, I haven't identified it. I have a hunch, but not certain.

doug
    www.fotogafer.com (home for www.smokymountainsngallery.com)

Well I feel pretty sheepish about that e... sorry!!

Yes... definitely Cades Cove! :) Thanks for looking at it and the comments!!!
  • Options
    LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    adpace wrote:

Ok, well Cades Cove. Frankly, I didn't see the grass when I first viewed the shot, I only saw trees, now I see the grass down low, which helps to make it easier to figure out.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    I was tempted to spell it "Smokie" like Lil' Smokies. mmmmm Lil' Smokies....:D
    adpace wrote:

• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    This is a good argument, to polarize the haze or notheadscratch.gif

If ever there were a time to not, this would be it. I really like this composition and aspect ratio. No, it is not as stunning with the haze as we all enjoy the contrast and for good reason, we are attracted to it. However, the feel of this reminds me so of the afternoons in Cades Cove. Great shotthumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Well the Smokies are ... Smokey
    This is a good argument, to polarize the haze or notheadscratch.gif

If ever there were a time to not, this would be it. I really like this composition and aspect ratio. No, it is not as stunning with the haze as we all enjoy the contrast and for good reason, we are attracted to it. However, the feel of this reminds me so of the afternoons in Cades Cove. Great shotthumb.gifthumb

I agree. I actually find the shot a bit 'clear' in comparision to the days I have been there. Most of my Smokey Mountain shots have quite a bit of haze, I mean that is what gives them their moniker anyway.

Nice shot on a nice clear day.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    I agree too, this shot did seem clearer to me than your typical Smoky Mt. shot, which is why I went the other way and suggested polarizing.

What would be a good technique opposite of polarizing to accentuate a "hazier" look?
  • Options
    goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    The only thing to be careful of is using the polarizer on a wide angle shot like this. You will end up with the sky being more saturated in the center and it will fade some as you get nearer the edges. It's just the physics involved with a polarizing filter. I'm not saying don't polarize (I almost always have one on my lens), just don't set it for maximum polarization. You might not like the effect.

If you get the chance, I would suggest trying your hand at HDR. This image looks like a good candidate.

You could also do a little color correction in the Lab color space to cut the haze just a bit and saturate the colors. Just a suggestion.

Nice composition.
    Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.