Ok, I'm torn between 2 shots

VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited August 29, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Forget the saw... 1st version of hone or 2nd version?

Hone
188666091-L.jpg

189118649-L.jpg

Winston

Comments

• hurricanestevehurricanesteve Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    just opinions from a n00b:

I tried the grinder/sparks idea early on, but i have a little bench grinder and couldn't make the "scene" impressive (the sparks looked good, but that was it). I really like yours. if it was mine (and i know it's not) i'd do it in the dark or with a dark backdrop to further enhance the contrast with the sparks. It looks like you were going for the whole "fire" color palette across the image.

When i see the chainsaw image, i just wonder what is a guy doing cutting at that angle from the top of a stump? and the shadow distracts me.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Both are fun shots for different reasons, but what I would really like to see is a shot of the grinder with your exposure stopped down so the sparks become the subject and the light source. Boy, think of the creativity that could bring. Have the person holding the metal wear eye protection that would reflect the sparks in it. Shoot from an angle that captures the sparks and the face witht he reflection in it. If you can reshoot, I would love to see what you could do with it. Good luck. That is my 2 cents. I think you may have overpaid though.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    I rather like the grinder
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    shatch wrote:
    That is my 2 cents. I think you may have overpaid though.

I think it is definitely money well spent especially coming from such a distinguished and renowned photographer such as yourself :Dbowdown.gifrolleyes1.gif

Great ideas… I’ll certainly try another shoot with your suggestions in mind I might be able to get my daughter to model and try the glasses reflection thing… most shots are of myself as the model with camera on a tripod, hey! Just like you Satch! Maybe there is hope for me yet…rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifThanks for the great ideas...

Thanks for the comment Steve and Pyro...

Winston

edited August 29, 2007
    Bump...

anyone else? thoughts?
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I still like the first one, much more.

PS: your new avatar is a little disturbing =c/
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Hmmm...I like the 2nd grinder. The effect you used definitely gets one's attention. I like the contrast in that one.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I loved the first one when I first saw it and still do. For me it has the wow factor. Don't care for the second. Besides being gimmicky, the wonderful detail in the thumbs and the metal being honed gets lost. Not only that but the sparks become the subject of the photograph, not the machine and what it is doing.

Virginia

Email
    edited August 29, 2007
    Good points! thanks for the opinions... I'm still confused... will try a re shoot if I get the time...

Winston