Playing around with an old photo

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited August 31, 2007 in People
I have been trying to get a decent looking method of cross processing down pat. Lucky for me, Urbanaries posted a very nice looking one here a week or two ago, and I was able to find the preset for lightroom. I stopped short of throwing this photo in the recycle bin last year on my oldest daughter's prom night. It made a very nice looking BW conversion that is featured on my home page slideshow. I chose to use it also for experimenting with the cross processing since it had some areas that are blown, and is overall a poor picture in every sense except it's artistic value.

This is actually one of my favorites of all the photos I have ever taken.

In other news, I ordered an external flash, and can't wait to get it. I have to get some decent head shots of my oldest girl. She is now officially a contestant in the Miss Louisiana Teen USA pageant. This is her very first time to compete in anything like that, but we felt like it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity, and will also look great on her college applications. Wish us luck!!!

188993085-M.jpg

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Good luck to your daughter in the pageant, she must be thrilled! clap.gif
    As for the picture, it looks way to green to me. Is that what you wanted your effect to be?
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Thanks for the good luck.

And yes, green is the overall cast on cross processed film. It is a throwback from the film days, and has a very retro look. I have tried many different methods from various tutorials, but this has been the best looking of the bunch. Of course, the green can be removed, but then you lose "the look".

Here is the monotone version.....

149181200-M.jpg
  • ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    I absolutely adore this photo! Wow! very artistic, and a beautiful! Good luck to y'all!

Shannon:D
    Shannon :D
    Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
    www.heatonphotography.net
    http://picasaweb.google.com/heatonphotography
    www.myspace.com/heatonphotography
    edited August 31, 2007
    I absolutely adore this photo! Wow! very artistic, and a beautiful! Good luck to y'all!

Shannon:D

I love it too. She had friends over and I was/ had been taking pics of her friend waaaaay off to camera right. In between shots of her friend, I framed up a profile shot of her and when I had gotten the composition just so, and got the shuuter half pressed she spun around very quickly and screwed up my beautifully composed shot......giving me this instead. Pure luck on my part, but if I hadn't been standing there with the shutter half pressed I would have missed it altogether. For the record, she can't stand this photo. Kids!!!

Thanks for the comment.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    AWESOME conversion, I am glad you're liking the preset, too! I really love the motion blur, and how the green cast plays off the lavender beaded strap of her dress.

Best of luck to her in the pageant!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited August 31, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    AWESOME conversion, I am glad you're liking the preset, too! I really love the motion blur, and how the green cast plays off the lavender beaded strap of her dress.

Best of luck to her in the pageant!!!

Thanks Lynn,

I added in just barely a touch of zoom blur in the cross processed version that is not in the monotone.
  • m_granitem_granite Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Not so crazy about the green and highlighting here,
    but she's a gorgeous female.
    Alex Q.