Garage lighting

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited August 29, 2007 in People
Inspired recently to try some garage lighting with my 2 year old daughter. These were taken with an 85mm, f1.4 lens at f2.8. No reflector used, just an open garage door in the middle of a sunny day. Any comments?

189008006-L.jpg

189007861-L.jpg

189008046-L.jpg

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Nice light
    clean garage too mwink.gif. I like em. Good job.thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Great light. She is impossibly adorable.
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    She has beautiful eyes, great looking child. Nice lighting in the garage lol.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Wet OregonWet Oregon Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Garage Door
    I am glad you gave this style of lighting a title.."Garage Door"..of which I have used a number of times this summer for a few neighbors and friends "posed candids.

Here in Oregon the interior of the garage keeps the subject dry and if the sun is shining the driveway bounces soft light onto the subject's face.

Great idea with the only work involved is cleaning up some of the clutter; so many people put $200 dollars of junk in their garage and park their $15,000 car in the driveway.

Oh, the child is priceless in the charming photos!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Really, really nice. Great catchlights and adorable smile. How do you get her to cooperate?

Virginia

Email
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Very nice...the lighting look great. And what a cutie you have =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Really, really nice. Great catchlights and adorable smile. How do you get her to cooperate?

Virginia

Thanks, Virginia. The one problem I find with this lighting is that the catchlights can be odd shapes and look peculiar. I'm just used to the standard umbrella type of catchlight.

Don't be fooled. She's not actually cooperating here. These are just 3 shots culled from about 100 which were taken over a 5 minute period!! There is no cooperation, just a lot of luck in numbers!rolleyes1.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    The lighting is very nice- thanks for posting I will look towards trying that myself since the Arizona sun is often overpowering.

Wet Oregon wrote:
    so many people put $200 dollars of junk in their garage and park their $15,000 car in the driveway.

My truck ain't worth that much but I have way more than $200 in junk! rolleyes1.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I've enjoyed all the great shots of your kids...and this one is no exception. I, like u, always look for that light opportunity, and the garage is as good as any. The shots are cute and bring out her personality. Thx for sharing. I'd love to look thru your photo album at all the shots of your kids.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
    edited August 29, 2007
    Wet Oregon wrote:
    I am glad you gave this style of lighting a title.."Garage Door"..of which I have used a number of times this summer for a few neighbors and friends "posed candids.

Here in Oregon the interior of the garage keeps the subject dry and if the sun is shining the driveway bounces soft light onto the subject's face.

Great idea with the only work involved is cleaning up some of the clutter; so many people put $200 dollars of junk in their garage and park their $15,000 car in the driveway.

Oh, the child is priceless in the charming photos!

Check out the fantastic work by Kevyn Major Howard. He is a prominent Hollywood photographer who does incredible head shots. I believe most of his work is done with garage lighting style. His lighting and poses are truly inspirational.

http://www.headshot-photography.com/portfolio.htm
    edited August 29, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    The lighting is very nice- thanks for posting I will look towards trying that myself since the Arizona sun is often overpowering.

I stuggle with this in Florida all the time. The sun is so strong for most of the day that outdoor portraits are impossible. I've done some portraits with an assistant holding a large umbrella for shade.

I'm now gravitating towards this garage lighting which produces a really nice, soft effect with interesting catchlights.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,093 moderator
    edited August 29, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    Check out the fantastic work by Kevyn Major Howard. He is a prominent Hollywood photographer who does incredible head shots. I believe most of his work is done with garage lighting style. His lighting and poses are truly inspirational.

http://www.headshot-photography.com/portfolio.htm

Mitch,

A truly adorable subject and very good execution.

I would like to point out that what you describe as "garage" lighting is simply a form of indirect lighting called "open shade".

Open shade is a technique that dates back to earliest photography and it can produce excellent results. I do suggest the use of light modifiers to augment and direct the light in appropriate ways.

Looking at the Kevyn Major Howard site I note that he does make use of natural light, but he does not accept the light without control. From his site:

http://www.headshot-photography.com/directions/

"Once Kevyn starts shooting and adjusts lighting ..."

Feel free to use reflectors, scrims, diffusors and flags to control the light to your purposes.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 29, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Mitch,

A truly adorable subject and very good execution.

I would like to point out that what you describe as "garage" lighting is simply a form of indirect lighting called "open shade".

Open shade is a technique that dates back to earliest photography and it can produce excellent results. I do suggest the use of light modifiers to augment and direct the light in appropriate ways.

Looking at the Kevyn Major Howard site I note that he does make use of natural light, but he does not accept the light without control. From his site:

http://www.headshot-photography.com/directions/

"Once Kevyn starts shooting and adjusts lighting ..."

Feel free to use reflectors, scrims, diffusors and flags to control the light to your purposes.

Ziggy, as usual, you are correct. When I look critically at my own shots here and then at KMH's, mine seem more flat.

The effect I have achieved is essentially a gian softbox directly in front of the subject. Perhaps a large scrim on one side would give me better shading and more directionality with the light.