Options

Lunar Eclipse

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited August 29, 2007 in Landscapes
Red-Moon-Lunar-Eclipse_MG_1449.jpg

This photograph of fully eclipsed moon was taken at Terrigal. I’ve used my 70-200 Sigma lens with Kenko MC7 2x converter thus the actual focal length was 400mm. The moon was very dim and the focusing was very difficult both for manual and auto focus modes.

I've used self timer (2s) with mirror lockup - on a tripod of course.

I left the photo grainy (ISO800) to preserve the detail.

I'd like to see what others have achieved and some details on how they did it.

Comments

• Options
    docbelldocbell Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Hi Ted, nice shot of the eclipse.
    I am in Nevada, and we too had a good viewing of the eclipse. I will post several of my pics after I finish here. I used a canon 30D, 400/5.6, 1.4XTC, tripod, mirror lock up, shutter release. I also used the timer fncn to try to further minimize any shake. I was initially shooting at iso 200, but in full eclipse I too was having to bump the Iso up to 800. Shots at this iso were grainy, but this was the only way to maintain adequate shutter speed. After reviewing my photos on the computer, I noticed you really had to have a shutter speed <2s (1s. was even better), other motion blur was obvious.

Again, nice shot. Kevin.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 28, 2007
    Good shot, Ted.

All I had was my 50mm lens, so I won't even post the result - a small orange dot. With plenty of clouds here in Bris, the drama was a bit obscured, but we did eat dinner out on the balcony and enjoyed the show nonetheless.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]