Child Shots: Need Suggestions!

MayndiMayndi Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited February 27, 2005 in People
i have some more pictures i'd like to post of the little girl i babysit for! i would love some comments as to what i could do different, what i could do better, etc, because all of the pictures i post, are all my firsts.

i shot these with a Sony Cybershot 4.1 (not the best camera, but it's getting me by) and yes the time stamps are on the pictures beyond my control. the little girls mom requested them to be on there so she'd know the date. i protested, but she just would not oblige. aye yi yi! again, if i stink, please tell me, if there's something i could do better, again please tell me. i know a few of these pictures have obvious flaws, but i would love to hear from you! thanks so much guys!

1y4x7q

Obvious Flaws: Grainy Picture

1y4xfo

Obvious Flaws: Child looks tilted

1y4xo9

Obvious Flaws: (Mentioned via comment) Uneven shoulders

1y4z1x

Maybe this ones too sharp? Not sure.

Again thanks so much for the help too! Photographing is really new to me, so I'd take any help I could get. :D

:lust Mayndi
Now come on. I know you love :lust me. What are you waiting for?
"i never knew until the world was my inspiration, and these walls were my canvas"
Hidilia Carpenter
1/3/32 - 12/28/04

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 26, 2005
    Mayndi,

First off, no you don't stink rolleyes1.gif Even if you did, you'd still be welcome :D

That you've posted some shots for criticism and stated your desire to improve , says a lot about you thumb.gif

Please keep in mind that I am not a good "people shooter". Having said that, I think most of the issues with your pics is lighting. Some of the shots would be very nice, except one side of the face is bright (sometimes overly bright) and the other is shadowed. This works well sometimes, but IMO, shouldn't be done all that often.

1st shot. Yep, a little grainy and probably could benefit from tighter cropping. Her right eye is shadowed, giving her eyes an unbalanced appearance.

2nd shot. Better. The crop is nice and so is the color. But, it's a little over exposed (her cheek and the flower). Her eyes, however, look much nicer in this shot thumb.gif The shadow isn't even too bad.

3rd shot. My favorite of the bunch. Nice exposure, nice composition, it's pretty sharp and you captured a precious pose thumb.gifthumb.gif It looks really nice in B&W too clap.gif Her right eye is still a bit shadowed, but looks balanced with the left eye. This is a very nice shot, IMHO thumb.gifthumb.gif

4th shot. A touch over exposed and yes it's a bit soft (it looks like she moved a little). I like the pose (not as much as shot #3's pose though).

Even though you write that you know very little about photography, these are not bad at all. Plus, they aren't exactly snapshots. It looks like you put some prior thought and planning into them. Which is always an excellent idea. Even more so, when done by someone who is just starting out clap.gif

Anyhow Mayndi, other more knowledgeable "people shooters" will probably chime in with much better critiques. But I wanted to welcome you to Dgrin and I think it will be the right place for you to get input on improving your skills/shots. We don't care what camera you use as long as you are as passionate, as we are, about shooting better tomorrow than you did today :D
    Looks like you'll fit right in :-)

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • MayndiMayndi Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    1st shot. Yep, a little grainy and probably could benefit from tighter cropping. Her right eye is shadowed, giving her eyes an unbalanced appearance.

2nd shot. Better. The crop is nice and so is the color. But, it's a little over exposed (her cheek and the flower). Her eyes, however, look much nicer in this shot thumb.gif The shadow isn't even too bad.

3rd shot. My favorite of the bunch. Nice exposure, nice composition, it's pretty sharp and you captured a precious pose thumb.gifthumb.gif It looks really nice in B&W too clap.gif Her right eye is still a bit shadowed, but looks balanced with the left eye. This is a very nice shot, IMHO thumb.gifthumb.gif

4th shot. A touch over exposed and yes it's a bit soft (it looks like she moved a little). I like the pose (not as much as shot #3's pose though).
    thank you so much for your advice and input! she's such a great little girl to take photos of because she'll just ham it up as much as possible, but after awhile and many many poses, she starts to get annoyed and won't do aynthing rolleyes1.gif . next time i ask her to take pictures, i'll definately work on the advice you've given me. thanks so much steve!
    Now come on. I know you love :lust me. What are you waiting for?
    "i never knew until the world was my inspiration, and these walls were my canvas"
    Hidilia Carpenter
    1/3/32 - 12/28/04
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    I really like your pictures. I'm a newbee myself but I like shots of people.
    To the pictures I like the emotion and expression of the 4th one the best but it's seems out of focus to me like you either were to close or zooming in and didn't let the camera focus which is hard to do when capturing such a nice moment.
    I agree with previous comments made that you seem to have taken time to set up the shot but I think you should try being even more creative.
    Maybe you could move the little girl or the light around so that you can experiment with different angles/shadows of light...that's the first thing I did anyway when I got my pretty low budget camera compared to many of the cameras I see other people using on this site (a hp photosmart 935- 5.3 MP).
    I really like the picture in color and while black and white adds character I think you should take a few more shots in color to try to highlight the beautiful color of the girl's eyes.
    I like it. Can't wait to see you do some more!
    SMILE!
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Mayndi
    I agree wityh Steve you don't stink
    In fact you seem to have a good eye for a "beginner"
    Anyway good stuffthumb.gif
    Keep shooting

Thanks
    Fred
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    You do well in composing the shot. Without that, it doesn't matter how much you learn about DOF, shutter speed, and what not.

As you learn, your shots will be very impressive. I look forward to seeing them.
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Agree with the group, great eye. The rest comes easy from there, no worries, just keep shooting! You'll learn about the tech stuff very naturally as time goes by. Just keep being creative.

But could you ditch the date stamp? :cry P P Pretty please? 1drink.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Mayndi a couple of things:
    1 lose the time,date stamp as soon as you can. Just write it on the back of the prints if your printing them. If not try and do it in photoshop (YOU) can make it look a lot better.
    2 you have a digi camera, shoot shoot and shoot some more most of photography comes with experance.
    3 your allready on dgrin/smugmug so look at others photos and pick the ones you like and try to duplacate them for pratice.
    4 With a little bit of pratice you'll be suprised at how much you'll improve.

Have fun and shoot your butt off.
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">