Some of my latest portfolio builders

wannabe1979wannabe1979 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited August 29, 2007 in People
Still trying to get all the experience that I can. I'm getting some decent feed back so far but know that I've got a long way to go. Here are a couple of pics that I've done lately. Please let me know what you guys think. I've only got about a month of PhotoShop Cs2 under my belt so any addtional help there would be appreciated also.

Thanks for all the help.

189148842-S.jpg

189148779-S.jpg

189147889-S.jpg

189147627-S.jpg

189149203-S.jpg

188715996-S.jpg

Did I do too much blur on #3??? now that I'm looking back at the orig. prints it looks like too much. :scratch

My wife does the scrapbooking collages so I had to put one in. It's something different that nobody does around here.
Larry :rofl
www.hallphotography.smugmug.com

Tool Box:
Canon Digital ReBeL XTi (40d on order)
85mm f1.8, EF-75-300mm f1:4-5.6, 28-55 f3.5

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Hi Larry, cute children! My favorite is #5. I found #1 a little too dark. And #3, yes, it looks out of focus more then added blur effect. :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • geminiphotosgeminiphotos Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    I like #2; Love the light; Not crazy about the crop Really good

D
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    These are nice shots
    but please allow me to share observations. The centeredness (ha, a new word) of 1, 2 & 5 take away compositionally. The dead space between the child's back and extra frame add nothing to the overall feel and desire of repetitive viewing. I've seen many shots blurred as an artistic form. I suppose its really a matter of what a particular individual likes. Blurred can be good if it sets a particular mood that the photograph already conveys. If the photo doesn't lend itself to that treatment, then it looks forced and out of place.

Personally, #3 would be much more effective if it were not blurred and the eyes sharpened. This is a child up close and forward, so the shot begs to provide clarity. The "dreamy" look works far better with a more open frame and with more distance between subject and lens. Think of some beautifully composed wedding shots for instance...the bride and groom, walking hand in hand, full body composition, with surrounding field or trees....then the "dreamy" effect works well. Up close for the most part (and I reiterate my preferrence) should be a sweet balance between soft focus and sharpness. We don't want portraits sharp like that of a rare bird or wildlife shot but in the same respect we don't want everything looking so unnatural that it's evident a filter in Photoshop was deployed to grasp such a look.

Simply my 2 cents. We all have our own styles and eye.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Cute shots. The first is a little dark. Seems a bit green in the skin tones. It feels a bit tight on the crop.
    I like #5 a lot. Nice light. Nice pose.
    I think #3 is too blurry. On such a close shot I would love to see it sharp.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • wannabe1979wannabe1979 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Thanks guys for the input.

Swartzy, do you have an example of your new found word "centeredness"? I don't know if i completely understood what you meant.
    Larry :rofl
    www.hallphotography.smugmug.com

Tool Box:
    Canon Digital ReBeL XTi (40d on order)
    85mm f1.8, EF-75-300mm f1:4-5.6, 28-55 f3.5
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Larry...
    Thanks guys for the input.

Swartzy, do you have an example of your new found word "centeredness"? I don't know if i completely understood what you meant.

Let's take shot #2 for instance. This was shot in "landscape" and the orientation of her pose with the flowers would look much more natural with a portrait orientation. If you stayed with the landscape version, then my suggestion would be to crop out the area behind her as it does not add to the photo (even with the vinetting). Since she is facing the flowers and to the viewer's left, then then eye doesn't want to be distracted with the open space behind her. She is just about dead center in the frame at present.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552