Las Vegas

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited September 1, 2007 in People
From a 'I Can't Stand Vegas, A Cheesy Look at a Cheesy City' series.

760-bw4785.jpg

440-bw4791.jpg

440-bw4800.jpg

440-bw4774.jpg

440-bw4782.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    A bit heavy on the grain. Seems like the shots are out of focus. I can't find a focal point in #2 and #4 at all. Try to find a main subject in your shots. Just shooting in the street may not yield anything interesting. #1 is the best of the lot.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I love 1st shot the best, and i think grain adds to it. But the rest are not so much. Thanks for sharing!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I like the grain in the pictures, I do think it could be taken down just a tiny bit so it does not distract from the pictures, but the grain adds to the grittiness of the city... IMO, It helps convey the message of the pictures....
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Thanks for looking, and I appreciate the comments.

Garry Winogrand said something to the effect that, 'the best photos are the ones that are on the verge of not working.' I can play on both sides of that line! I'm not comfortable shooting people and try to stay away from it, but my lousy skills and mild distaste for the town, well, I couldn't resist.

I think I did go over the 'line' with the grain in a couple instances, but as a series and including my oof shots, they fell into a fairly uniform look if I tried the POV that the grain gave them an impressionistic look. This was the intent early on when my aging eyes screwed up the first shot shown below;

440-bw-fg-4760.jpg
    This girl was having a terrible time shooting -something- She reminded me of The Little Dancer by Degas. She set the mood for the evening and the PP session.

Notes on shot #2 & #4;
    The focal point in #4, at least what I was looking at, was the lady chewing her nails. The girl on the right smelled really, really good so I pulled back and snapped as she walked confidently by.

#2, the dad looked like he was trying to make the best of a sour dark spot on the strip. The mother looked absolutley frightened and the children vacant.

I'm not real clear on focal points and how all that works (yet)- #5 is the one I'm having a hardtime figuring out. The evening wasn't about doing classy work but more about expression.

I call this one, 'What in the Hell was That?'
    440-bw4776.jpg
    She was swift. I like the left arms in the picture.

Here's an uninteresting shot of uninterested people. I found it interesting.
    440-bw4778.jpg
    Vegas 'befuddles' me. Why are so many people there, not there when they are there?
    440-bw4775.jpg
    BTW, my 16 year old grand daughter (1st-timer) wanted to walk the strip- I do anything for her, which is why this was not just an exercise in self-loathing. This is her ignoring me when I asked her to 'smile like you're goofy.'

I did find a 'happy' person. Sitting inside a 'Fat Burger.'
    760-bw4781.jpg

Sometimes, and I don't know why, it cheers me up to see someone more depressed than myself. This construction traffic controller looked ready to throw herself under a passing taxi/limo.
    440-bw4808.jpg
    A good place to stop.

However, as a final comment, both my grand daughter and myself had a good time, and as my blood-sucking, money-hungry aunt would say, "Making yourself happy is what it's all about!"
    Anybody can do it.
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    You and Cody Webber should go there together some time!

I like the abstract feel to the shots. The gain adds to your mood, in in that way it works. Its interesting to see a different perspective.......
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    I find your shots interesting. I like that you don't follow the "rules"!
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    You and Cody Webber should go there together some time!

I like the abstract feel to the shots. The gain adds to your mood, in in that way it works. Its interesting to see a different perspective.......
    hamster wrote:
    I find your shots interesting. I like that you don't follow the "rules"!

Cody's work is interesting for sure- there's a future there.

The older I get and the less success I experience as a traditional landscape photographer the more comfortable I've become with the abstract and surreal. It just feels better to do what I please.

I had a great time. It was fun exploring a different side to shooting. I won't hesitate to try it again next time I have the opportunity.

Thanks for the encouragement!
    Anybody can do it.