How much safe our photoes are in smugmug?

legolaslegolas Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited September 6, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi
Thank you for reading me post
Can some one please let me know how much safe our photoes are in SmugMug?

Do they make daily backups or some kind of replication to ensure that our photos are safe in case of any disaster?

Comments

• photobanksphotobanks Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    That is a good question... one I shall watch for an answer with interest!!
    Michael Banks

www.banksy.me.uk - main website
    http://galleries.banksy.me.uk - smugmug site
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited August 29, 2007
    legolas wrote:
    Hi

Do they make daily backups or some kind of replication to ensure that our photos are safe in case of any disaster?
    They are very safe! SmugMug uses Amazon S3, and per the smug info pages:
    SmugMug saves every photo in three separate datacenters in three states. We experience very little downtime.

Here's a link to a blog entry by Don MacAskill (his title on the blog shows as "SmugMug’s CEO & Chief Geek") about SmugMug's use of S3: http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2006/08/12/amazon-s3-the-holy-grail/.

--- Denise
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    legolas wrote:
    Hi

Hi, it's a great question!

your priceless photos are backed up in real time, and 4 copies are kept in three different states. Kind of like "Fort Knox" for your photos :)
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    ...now if only we could upload RAWs to take advantage of that awesome backup scheme... :tiptoe
  • afxafx Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    ...now if only we could upload RAWs to take advantage of that awesome backup scheme... :tiptoe
    Yup,
    RAW files would be nice. Especially when stored private and coupled with links to public JPGs.

cheers
    afx
  • UhlandUhland Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2007
    afx wrote:
    Yup,
    RAW files would be nice. Especially when stored private and coupled with links to public JPGs.

cheers
    afx

the backup is why I chose smugmug over the others.
    I was only using DVD as backup.
    Now with smugmug my photos are as safe as you can get.

i do agree about raw. I was very disappointed that I couldnt upload raws.
  • FotonFoton Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    What kind of secondary backup do people use for their photos? I understand that S3 is very safe but if SmugMug (god forbid) went bankrupt and stopped paying their bills to Amazon S3 all the photos would be gone I presume.

Do you use DVDs or local hard drives? Or some other photosite? Or maybe some online backup service (mozy, jungledisk etc.)?

Also I also wish I could store RAW-files at SmugMug since that would remove one of the reasons why I think I need a secondary backup solution.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Foton wrote:
    What kind of secondary backup do people use for their photos? I understand that S3 is very safe but if SmugMug (god forbid) went bankrupt and stopped paying their bills to Amazon S3 all the photos would be gone I presume.

Do you use DVDs or local hard drives? Or some other photosite? Or maybe some online backup service (mozy, jungledisk etc.)?

Also I also wish I could store RAW-files at SmugMug since that would remove one of the reasons why I think I need a secondary backup solution.

For my business, and personal photos, I have the following:

Dual hard drive backup on my Mac

Backup to my own S3 account via Jungle Disk

Monthly DVD burning