Selling CD's and color space

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited August 31, 2007 in Sports
Last month I went to a high performance driving school at a track near me and ordered some photos of me on CD-ROM. It took nearly a month for the vendor to get them to me (not good). At least they were all edited for sharpness, color cast, saturation, etc. But I'm a bit miffed and wondering if I should be.

For one, the color space for all the JPG's was Adobe RGB, not sRGB. Seeing as how most labs expect sRGB I'm a little bit irritated I got the files in the wrong color space. For those of you that sell CD-ROMs of sporting images what do you do for color space and why? Thanks.
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    My entire workflow from capture to saving to CD is sRGB just for the reason you mentioned. Being a photographer, you noticed, but how many racers would even think to figure that out? Their only reaction might be if they got some pics printed, they might wonder why it looks different than on their monitor. Sucks it took so long to get your pics, too. I get mine out the same day I receive payment.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    Last month I went to a high performance driving school at a track near me and ordered some photos of me on CD-ROM. It took nearly a month for the vendor to get them to me (not good). At least they were all edited for sharpness, color cast, saturation, etc. But I'm a bit miffed and wondering if I should be.

For one, the color space for all the JPG's was Adobe RGB, not sRGB. Seeing as how most labs expect sRGB I'm a little bit irritated I got the files in the wrong color space. For those of you that sell CD-ROMs of sporting images what do you do for color space and why? Thanks.

Bill, all my jpeg's are sRGB for CD's. As you mentioned most labs I deal with are looking for that color space. I normally have a one day turn around on CD shoots.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • H2HH2H Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    1. After receiving several bad checks from racers I don't do a thing till the check clears the bank (up to 10 days)

2. Then you have the person that says they never received the disc (I sent three to one person last year - then the fourth was hand delivered) always get reciept from the post office after delivery

3. Time getting the cd out - Depends on how many pictures are on the cd - I do mine at the end of the year and your talking around 100 to 150 pictures if its only 20 jpegs its a snap but if you have to go thru 20 - 25 dvds it takes time (I'm a one man operation) I never edit any photo's before hand just when there ordered