OLYMPUS 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye ED Zuiko Digital Lens on Canon 1Ds MkII?

Natasa StojsicNatasa Stojsic Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited September 4, 2007 in Cameras
Is anybody using OLYMPUS 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye ED Zuiko Digital Lens on Canon 1Ds MkII body?

Is Olympus to EF adapter available?
N a t a s a S t o j s i c
PHASEONE P20+ | MAMIYA 645 AFD II | 55-110mm f4.5 AF Zoom | 80mm f2.8 AF | 120mm f4.0 MF Macro | 150mm f3.5 AF

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Boy, you are coming up with some interesting questions! :D

For adapters, thge best places I know of to look are Fotodiox or Cameraquest. If that Oly lens is the 4/3 mount, AFAIK it's one of the few that cannot be adapted to EOS (shorter lens-film plane distance).
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 30, 2007
    The ZD 8 mm doesn't cover the whole image circle of a 1Ds II, so it would be pretty useless - you'd get maybe half the sensor covered. I think the widest you can go on a Leica format sensor is the Sigma 12-24, although that's not a fisheye.
  • keeprightkeepright Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Is anybody using OLYMPUS 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye ED Zuiko Digital Lens on Canon 1Ds MkII body?

Is Olympus to EF adapter available?

I've never heard of such a thing, and it probable doesn't exist for the reason Juze mentioned: the 4/3 format lenses are designed for a 18 x 13.5 mm sensor.

If you really like the 8mm Digital Zuiko, it might be worth getting an E-410 to put underneath it. With a fish you wouldn't need the IS of the larger E-510. Alternatively, a used E-1 would feel similar to the build quality that you're used to, and have about the same resolution as the Zuiko would on your camera.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    I knew I'd seen a table of lens mount specs--wikipedia. Here are the two pertinent lines:

Mount name Camera type Mount type Flange focal distance
    Four Thirds digital still Bayonet 38.67 mm
    Canon EF 35 mm still Bayonet 44 mm

So, that tells me that it cannot be done--the Olympus lens needs to be within the Canon body for proper focus.