I've got Shay's entry for the Shay Challenge...

Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
edited September 2, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
189356822-L.jpg

Sorry Shay - I couldn't resist! I was looking on the www for more inspiration for the Man or Machine challenge - and I literally stumbled upon this! Hmmmm, is it man...or potato?

(Please don't ban me!)
Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
www.printandportfolio.com
This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341

Comments

• shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Critique
    Very good quality entry Shay...but if I were to be highly critical...I mean really nit pick, I think the lighting is just a little flat. Also, your choice of lens seems to distort the portrait (I think. I'm at work and my monitor isn't the best). But overall...Fantastic!!!!bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    :D:D:D

Is it Mr Happy:

mrhappy.png

or Mr Potato Head:

www.williambay.com

Definitely a top 10 entry.
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Shay Deserves your Input
    I hate to tread into any territory that is not mine, but it is time for ALL OF US to provide feedback to Shay. He has put countless hours in providing feedback to each of us on all of our entries, so the least we could do is provide him with feedback on his. Looking at the quality of his entry, there has to be many long hours searching for the right model, the right location, and the post production...probably 40+ hours! So please take 45 seconds to provide your feedback.
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Great capture! I'd say it captures his sparkling personality.:D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    my critique
    Sweet Mercy on your creativity level! bowdown.gif Though the subject might benefit from a different angle, you've made my top 10!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Unbelievable capture..... and when you do capture one like that do you use a net or just whack-'em with a shovel?ne_nau.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Now wait a minute...where's the EXIF? And don't forget to not use the theme in the title!

You know, this marvelous image, so excellently concepted and executed could very well be the start of a new spinoff challenge...Last Spud Standing. rolleyes1.gif

Oh, and I also think this image could benefit somehow from a 10:4 pano crop.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2007

...Last Spud Standing. rolleyes1.gif

Oh, and I also think this image could benefit somehow from a 10:4 pano crop.

Pano crop? That shot makes me think, "pan o' homefries!"
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Shay Spud Haiku
    Potato or Shay?
    Iron chef or LPS?
    Slice, dice, shoot and 'shop!

So, how many ladies out there saw the "Man or Machine" theme and immediately giggled?
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I wonder how he'd look in black & white? Or with a little Gaussian blur applied???? headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    I wonder how he'd look in black & white? Or with a little Gaussian blur applied???? headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif

Blurry and colorless (kinda like bigfoot)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    So, how many ladies out there saw the "Man or Machine" theme and immediately giggled?

I was going to do a studio shot of a mixture of batteries and call it "A gal's best friend", but decided to stick with my more "tasteful" entry. :D

See what happens Shay, when you try to get us to redefine the themes?

Even though technically the photo is good, it kinda gives me the heebeegeebees! It resembles an oompa-loompa...
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Not only is the lighting flat, but the skin is so.... "I haven't seen the sun in quite a while" colour. Come and spend some time with us here in the Philippines, it'll definitely put some real colour back in that body.

I have to confess that this amazing image has inspired me to create a similar set of family portraits to hang on my wall. In fact Dgrin should have a special gallery for all of LPS contestants with the Oompa Loompa look to inspire those who come after us:D
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    After reading through this thread, all I have to say is "Oh Brother! What a crazy bunch we have here!" rolleyes1.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited August 29, 2007
    I should reiterate...
    This is an old photo that Shay did years ago that I found on the internet...but wow has he grown since! hehehehe

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I'm so old I remember when Shay first posted that photo! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Too Funny....

NOW wouldn't it be funny if someone actually posted a photo like Shay in the Theme....

"Spud McKenzie"...

I must say Shay has really "Big" Feet....mwink.gif:Drolleyes1.gif :ivar
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited August 31, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    I'm so old I remember when Shay first posted that photo! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

No kidding! Not to make you feel (digitally) old, but, that WAS awhile back...:D

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    I admit I'm not much of a portrait photographer, but I have to say I think it's generally a bad idea to use a fisheye lens for portraiture, and this shot certainly shows why.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Hahahaha my secret identity has been discovered hehehe.

There is a story behind that photo. At the time we were trying to do a self portrait challenge at the STF many years ago and people were really hesitant to enter anything. So I whipped that moldy oldy up real quick to goad the others into entering something...I mean they couldn't possibly look worse on film than that right?!?! Right?!?! hehehe it was a fun challenge that got people working. I still remember ZipperZ's mirrored self portrait with the sax. It was great!

Ahhh the memories! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie