Medical condition asks for poor lighting.

Halfway 2 HollywoodHalfway 2 Hollywood Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited September 4, 2007 in People
Hello all.

Recently I have the pleasure to practice with a little boy named Layden on his 5th birthday. Talk about personality, he made shooting so easy! We shot at the park and the wildlife refuge here, and he wasn't shy about anything. I have some great shots!

However, he was born with one eye that is extremely dilated. This makes for poor lighting. If he is in any sunlight, he must wear his prescription sunglasses or his glasses which have dark tint on the right side where the pupil is dilated. The shade on a cloudy day was still much for his eye.

We tried shooting in low light with a quick flash, but his pupil quickly dilated and made for extreme red eye and it focused quickly on it. I tried some editing, but I don't want to upset the parents by making a false image of a new eye. What are your suggestions for these pics? I tried black and white pictures and they helped slightly.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Are you using your popup or on-camera flash? Getting the flash off-camera entirely (corded or wireless trigger) will eliminate red-eye, and it also won't be so "in his face" if that seems to be an issue. I'm not sure what equipment you have but folks here can put you in the right direction if needed.

Good luck!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Katie BethKatie Beth Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I don't see the photo??
    Katie
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Perfect time for off camera flash. Perhaps a single strobe in an umbrella off to the side of his good eye. Have him look directly at the camera so that the light hits his eyes at an angle. Perhaps just a reflector on the side with his dilated eye is all you will need.

Hope this helps.
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    No pics here either ne_nau.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Halfway 2 HollywoodHalfway 2 Hollywood Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    Perfect time for off camera flash. Perhaps a single strobe in an umbrella off to the side of his good eye. Have him look directly at the camera so that the light hits his eyes at an angle. Perhaps just a reflector on the side with his dilated eye is all you will need.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! This is some great advice and I'll keep that in mind for his Christmas shots. Thanks again!
  • Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Change ISO?
    Are you shooting with film, or with a digital camera?

I have had some very good luck with low-light shots using a DSLR simply by increasing the ISO setting. Depending on your camera, you could try setting the ISO to 1000 or above and just use the available light to shoot. Then, you don't have any worries regarding the relative comfort of your subject, as there will be no need to use a flash, which is clearly an issue for this little guy.