Options

Why is this NOT WORKING

Morbid AndrewMorbid Andrew Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited August 30, 2007 in Technique
I have used AC Mono Lights for quite some time. I am starting to do more beach portraits, and bought a DC Photogenic Stgudio Max III and purchased a Quantum Turbo Z Battery Pack. The cables match up fine, the battery is charged, but the light will not power up. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,916 moderator
    edited August 30, 2007
    I have used AC Mono Lights for quite some time. I am starting to do more beach portraits, and bought a DC Photogenic Stgudio Max III and purchased a Quantum Turbo Z Battery Pack. The cables match up fine, the battery is charged, but the light will not power up. Does anyone have any ideas?

I think there are 3 potential issues:

I believe the Turbo Z is rated at 10V, the Studio Max AC/DC lights are designed for DC operation from a Photogenic AKB-1, 12V battery.

I believe the Turbo Z is based on NiCd technology, where the Photogenic AKB-1 is based on Lead-Acid, which can probably sump more energy more quickly than the the Turbo Z can.

Some of the Quantum Turbo Z packs were found to have dead cells even when new. You may have one of those units. In that case you may need to re-cell the unit, which still may not work because of the above two issues.

You may want to just purchase the Photogenic AKB-1 for those lights.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums