LPS #11 Take Two

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited September 2, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I gave LPS #11 another shot from the "machine" perspective. These are two different versions of a Harley V-Twin pic.

Appreciate any thoughts, comments. Thanks! :D

Take 1 is here.

189433401-L.jpg

189433664-L.jpg

Comments

• shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Ooooooo...I like number one. Very clean, definitely a "machine" (said with a manly grunt!) That barbed wire throttle cable is very unique. It would be interesting to see the rest of the bike. Have a shot per chance? All this being said though, go with your heart.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Gorgeous. #1 for sure.

Virginia

Email
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    clap.gifnumber 1 for sure. What an amazing shot and bike. Just not convinced if the soft blur works though IMO.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I still have a soft spot for your musician, but then, I don't know enough about bikes to know what I am seeing here (beyond the fact that it is an engine). As for the blur, I agree with pemmett. One thing that might help is to use a softer edge on the mask for your blur effect. The transition to blurry is abrupt enough that I can see the shape of the mask (selection?) you used.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    shatch wrote:
    Ooooooo...I like number one. Very clean, definitely a "machine" (said with a manly grunt!) That barbed wire throttle cable is very unique. It would be interesting to see the rest of the bike. Have a shot per chance? All this being said though, go with your heart.

Thanks! The barbed wire was kinda cool. Unfortunately I deleted the picture of the bike. It was a Harley Chopper that someone had put a lot of TLC into.
    edited August 29, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Gorgeous. #1 for sure.

Virginia

Thanks!
    edited August 29, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    clap.gifnumber 1 for sure. What an amazing shot and bike. Just not convinced if the soft blur works though IMO.
    Thanks!

It was indeed an amazing looking bike. I'm in the midst of uploading 2 revisions of it: one sans blur and the other with a modified blur.

Where's your entry this go-around?
    edited August 29, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I still have a soft spot for your musician, but then, I don't know enough about bikes to know what I am seeing here (beyond the fact that it is an engine). As for the blur, I agree with pemmett. One thing that might help is to use a softer edge on the mask for your blur effect. The transition to blurry is abrupt enough that I can see the shape of the mask (selection?) you used.
    Thanks!

It's a engine and you can see part of the drive chain and that's about all I know about what I'm looking at. Shatch at least helped identify what the barbed wire thingie was. rolleyes1.gif

I've reworked the blur a bit and will post a revision shortly.
    edited August 29, 2007
    OK. Here we go again!
    No Blur:

189481130-L.jpg

With Blur (revised):
    189483980-L.jpg
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I like #1 too! However I agree with the others about the blur. Thumbs up from me! thumb.gif
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I think I see what you are trying to show with the blur -- motion? But you used a sideways blur??? I have no idea what those things are, but I prefer the photo without the blur, it's busy enough to show lots of action even though it's static. Does that make any sense at all? :D
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    That is one of the best captures of chrome I've ever seen. clap.gif

Perhaps lessening the blur just at the bottom would address everything. I like the blur at the top because it gives me the impression the bike has just been started and the engine is vibrating. The blur at the top makes sense, though the line of demarcation could be softened just a bit. The blur at the bottom distracts from the motion implied at the top, for me.
    edited August 30, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    I like #1 too! However I agree with the others about the blur. Thumbs up from me! thumb.gif
    Thanks, Tessa!! :D
    edited August 30, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    I think I see what you are trying to show with the blur -- motion? But you used a sideways blur??? I have no idea what those things are, but I prefer the photo without the blur, it's busy enough to show lots of action even though it's static. Does that make any sense at all? :D
    Thanks! Yes, I was trying to show some motion by using a lensbaby PS action.

You have a really good point about the photo already looking "busy".
    15524779-Ti.gif
    edited August 30, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    That is one of the best captures of chrome I've ever seen. clap.gif

Perhaps lessening the blur just at the bottom would address everything. I like the blur at the top because it gives me the impression the bike has just been started and the engine is vibrating. The blur at the top makes sense, though the line of demarcation could be softened just a bit. The blur at the bottom distracts from the motion implied at the top, for me.

Thanks! :D

I did try to soften that line of demarcation in the 2nd revision, though. ne_nau.gif LiquidAir had made a similar comment that prompted me to make the 2nd revision. Looks like I need some more practice with that PS action! rolleyes1.gif
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Attaboy Girl
    richtersl wrote:
    With Blur (revised):

Linda,

Does 'at Harley owner spend more time cleanin' or ridin'?
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
    edited August 30, 2007
    BistiArt wrote:
    Linda,

Does 'at Harley owner spend more time cleanin' or ridin'?

:giggle From the looks of it, he probably spends more time cleanin'!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Ooooooo I love the Revised #1 "No Blur"....
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Revised #1 thumb.gif
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Linda,

I realy like number 1 defintely a biking magazine cover shotthumb.gif There is so much detail and beauty to be found in the reflections in the chrome bowdown.gif. IMO the blur takes away from the picture rather than adds to it.

I have spent the last 30 minutes looking at the photo and finding reflections in the chrome (it's much more fun than "where's wally") and I find that two areas keep disctracting my eyes: 1) The spark plug cap and the black box on the top and 2) the bottom right hand corner which is alomst void of detail compared to the engine.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I Love #1! It shows a lot more detail and I really like to see those 'gear grooves at the bottom(it was cut off in #2). Wonderful job of editing-great job!thumb.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    I love your entry. Beautiful machine. iloveyou.gif

Virginia

Email
    edited September 2, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    Linda,

I realy like number 1 defintely a biking magazine cover shotthumb.gif There is so much detail and beauty to be found in the reflections in the chrome bowdown.gif. IMO the blur takes away from the picture rather than adds to it.

I have spent the last 30 minutes looking at the photo and finding reflections in the chrome (it's much more fun than "where's wally") and I find that two areas keep disctracting my eyes: 1) The spark plug cap and the black box on the top and 2) the bottom right hand corner which is alomst void of detail compared to the engine.

Thanks! thumb.gif I'd been contemplating a crop such as you described and gave it a try.

Glad you enjoyed playing "Where's Wally" with my photo. rolleyes1.gif
    edited September 2, 2007
    I Love #1! It shows a lot more detail and I really like to see those 'gear grooves at the bottom(it was cut off in #2). Wonderful job of editing-great job!thumb.gif

Thanks! iloveyou.gif
    edited September 2, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I love your entry. Beautiful machine. iloveyou.gif

Virginia
    Thanks! :D
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Very cool entry. It's definitely ALL machine! Nice and clean. Beautiful shot.