Options

Painted Desert - Arizona

kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
edited September 3, 2007 in Landscapes
G'day

Here are two shots from a recent weekend trip to my favorite spot in the Painted Desert.

Feed back is always appreciated.

189400063-L.jpg

189400137-L.jpg

Thanks for Looking

Shane

Comments

• Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Very picturesque. Good use of widening angle of view.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 29, 2007
    Absolutely wonderfully awesome shots clap.gif, even if the driftwood was obviously and strategically located for effect. rolleyes1.gif

No, really. I love these. I really must go there.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    Absolutely wonderfully awesome shots clap.gif, even if the driftwood was obviously and strategically located for effect. rolleyes1.gif

No, really. I love these. I really must go there.

Cheers,
    -joel

Hey Joel

Nice catch on the drift wood. Believe it or not it really was there, 3' from the water, just not in the position you see it in the photo, that was my creative expression.

Cheers, shane
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Gorgeous shot
    I just loved the addition that sky made to the first picture. Just like I always picture it to be in Northern Arizona/New Mexico. Though sometimes it is sometimes it isn't.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    That first shot is gallery level photography!clap.gif
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    The light you captured here is surreal! I can't stop looking all around the first photo trying to figure out what kind of weather it was. Were there more clouds somewhere up there in that blue sky? I love the contrast of the dark shadows of the far hill and the sunspots of the foreground.

Lovely work thumb.gif
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Both beautiful, but the first one is over the top.

Did you burn in the top of the frame in post? It looks almost like vignetting, but it's only at the top? It adds to feeling of great depth.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    The light you captured here is surreal! I can't stop looking all around the first photo trying to figure out what kind of weather it was. Were there more clouds somewhere up there in that blue sky? I love the contrast of the dark shadows of the far hill and the sunspots of the foreground.

Lovely work thumb.gif

Hello Schmooo

Thanks for your positive comments on my images, I real appreciate you taking the time to have a look.

The weather was pretty much like what you see in the sky, beautiful clouds and light beams that would peak out occasionally. Just the way we love it right?

Yeh the lighting.....I used a 3 stop soft grad to hold back the hot spot in the upper left portion of the sky. But I also used a technique I learned from Marc Adamus.... quickly move the grad filter up and down - maybe a 1/4" either way while the shutter is open to soften the edge of the grad filter. Takes a lot of practice, but once you get it....awesome results!

Shane
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    OffTopic wrote:
    Both beautiful, but the first one is over the top.

Did you burn in the top of the frame in post? It looks almost like vignetting, but it's only at the top? It adds to feeling of great depth.

G'day Lori

No I didn't burn anything on either of these images, I did use a split grad however which adds alot of drama to the sky and allowed me to still pick up great foreground detail.

I used Capture NX in post, which if you shoot nikon is amazing RAW editing software, really allows you maximize RAW adjustments.

Thanks for looking Shane
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    ... I learned from Marc Adamus....
    Ahhhhhh that explains a lot! bowdown.gif

BUT even before you mentioned this I was hoping to see more of your work around the forums. :D
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    As soon as I saw your post to Schmoo it made sense. I don't know if I'm coordinated enough to try that trick. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Ahhhhhh that explains a lot! bowdown.gif

BUT even before you mentioned this I was hoping to see more of your work around the forums. :D

Hey Schmooo

I would like to post more, I just never seem to find the time...it is really inconsistent.

Thanks for your interest though, really appreciate it.
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Beautiful pictures, I particularly like the first one. And thanks for the technique tutorial.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2007
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Beautiful pictures, I particularly like the first one. And thanks for the technique tutorial.

Your Welcome Tom

That technique works especially well had hard grads and really slow shutter speeds (seconds), takes practice.....not to move the filter too much and end up photographing the filter edge.

Shane
  • Options
    wildhorsedesignswildhorsedesigns Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    painted desert
    G'day

Here are two shots from a recent weekend trip to my favorite spot in the Painted Desert.

Feed back is always appreciated.

189400063-L.jpg

189400137-L.jpg

Thanks for Looking

Shane

Wonderful color
    Becky
    When you get to where you're goin' , take care of the horse you rode in on." Will Rogers:D
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Nice work - love 'em both.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Shot 1 is spot on. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif 2's very good just doesn't have the same high level of impact to my eyes.

I have got to work with my split ND more.
    One of the things I like about either of these shots is that there does not apprear to be any trash around. How cool is that! I've taken to moving things in and out of pictures. Mostly out. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    The first one is a winner in my book. I have been to the petrified forest in 2003, but did not get pics like that. I am sad to say that I stayed on the road, I am no hiking one, so maybe you have to go off the road. I wished I could go back with my nikon D200.
    Love your shot, is it taken with a wide angle? It seems rather circular...
    Thanks for sharing, very pleasing to the eye!
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    Shot 1 is spot on. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif 2's very good just doesn't have the same high level of impact to my eyes.

I have got to work with my split ND more.
    One of the things I like about either of these shots is that there does not apprear to be any trash around. How cool is that! I've taken to moving things in and out of pictures. Mostly out. :D

Hey DaddyO

This happens to be one of the those places that almost no one knows about, difficult to access. Of 6 times over 3 years I have been there I have not even seen a single foot print. Very fortunate to have found it!

Thanks for the comments.

Shane
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    The first one is a winner in my book. I have been to the petrified forest in 2003, but did not get pics like that. I am sad to say that I stayed on the road, I am no hiking one, so maybe you have to go off the road. I wished I could go back with my nikon D200.
    Love your shot, is it taken with a wide angle? It seems rather circular...
    Thanks for sharing, very pleasing to the eye!

Hey Photocat

Yep, really wide....tokina 12-24mm!

Thanks for looking, shane