LPS #11 critique please, thanks!

JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited August 30, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
My first entry in the contest, this looks like a lot of fun!

After two other concepts that didn't quite work, this photo is exactly what I had in mind. I think the foreground may be a bit dark, but there is a lot of vegetation I'm trying to hide, and the mountainside is bleak and boring. The sunset was not very good on this evening, the colors are mostly brought out using LAB curves.

I'm looking for comments on the sunset colors, the relative darkness of the foreground and background. What "works", and doesn't work would also be helpful. Thank you for your time everyone!

Zazzi

Self Portrait

Comments

• DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I like what you're going for with this shot, but you need to clean up your editing. It looks as though you cut and pasted yourself, repositioning your silhouette higher in the frame, which is fine, but your lower body is still easily visible in the lower position. (If you play with the levels, you'll be able to see it more clearly. I could see that you were wearing shorts and sandals. :D ) If you darken up the lower section that might help hide it. You could then use the dodge tool to bring some detail back into your face or where ever you'd like.
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    repeat
    What She said...

With good PP, you can get this image into great shape. When done, the judges would argue between themselves on the quality w/o working the issue of seeing a dupe image, sorta.

I tried to explain this in a post to hamster...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Thank you both for your comments, I didn't expect to get flack about the lower half of the image. Yes, I did move the silhouette up a bit. On my screen though, I can't see any detail whatsoever in the lower half without cheating and using curves. But the average observer can't do that, so I didn't think it an issue. Unless I'm calibrated terribly wrong, and I don't think I'm off by that much.

It is very difficult to get the silhouette to appear real. Perhaps a little motion blur is needed? I can't wrap my head around that aspect of the photo. More practice indeed.

Zazzi
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Without adjusting your picture at all, just glancing at what you have posted, I can see that your front tire is only half of a tire (the bottom is missing) and I can still see the front fork of the bike frame and the brake/gear cable hanging down in your original position. I'd really suggest a re-edit or re-shoot.
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Actually with my monitor, I can see 2.25 tires, and I can see 1.5 bike frames...and I actually see your leg/foot on the lower frame...and a line separates them.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote