industrial options

adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
edited August 30, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
which is your favourite? any comments?
They all look a little bright on this monitor.
tia
DSC03324.jpg

DSC03325.jpg

DSC03327.jpg

DSC03328.jpg
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Adrian
my stuff is here.....

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I'm no pro...but I like #3.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    #s 3 or 4. But you should mess around with the levels & contrast. They're a little bright.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I too think 3 is the best of your choices, mostly because I find the highlights distracting in the first two.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I like the detail shots the best. It appears to me there are a lot of blown highlights, which may not be recoverable in post-processing. I don't know how your camera operates, but maybe you could increase the shutter speed and/or increase your aperture value to decrease the amount of light hitting your sensor. If you camera doesn't have manual mode, maybe you can spot-meter on a brighter point???

Hope this helps.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I also prefer #3. I agree with the other comments about adjusting the contrast. I would also crop the photo so that the bottom-most bolt is less noticeable. It's not quite in focus.

Is a reshoot possible? I'm wondering if there's anything in the front of that contraption that's also of interest. I see some sort of a smoke stack in one of your photos.
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    thank you all, I also was tending towards 3 or 4.

I had a six year old tugging on my arm so these shots were quite hurried and I agree, they are too bright. Made worse by my new monitor which must be too dark, as from work PC they are wayyy to bright.

It's a traction (steam) engine and I do have a front shot which is quite good. I'll post it in this thread just for interest's sake, I don't think it's good enough to enter.
    richtersl wrote:
    I also prefer #3. I agree with the other comments about adjusting the contrast. I would also crop the photo so that the bottom-most bolt is less noticeable. It's not quite in focus.

Is a reshoot possible? I'm wondering if there's anything in the front of that contraption that's also of interest. I see some sort of a smoke stack in one of your photos.
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    here's the front of the contraption :D.
    DSC03309.jpg

Yes, that's my reflection and no, my gut's not that big - it's the curvature of the boiler. rolleyes1.gif
    richtersl wrote:

Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Hmm...well, from my monitor it looks a little overexposed. Have you tried #3 or #4 in black and white with a boost in contrast? I like the sharpness in the last two images and they have potential.thumb.gif