Options

Too many shots from Shay's Boot Camp!

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited September 4, 2007 in Weddings
Most of you have probably heard about the Wedding Photographer's Boot Camp, but if not... Shay Stephens, a New York photographer and resident pro photographer here on DGrin, and his wife, Jennifer, put on a 4 day bootcamp to talk about all the aspects of doing wedding photography as a business. We talked everything from dealing with clients, putting together and selling books, how to light the chapels/receptions and a LOT more. They hired some actors (beautiful people! Oh, and boyfriend and girlfriend) to be the bride and groom, had a designer wedding gown and amazing flowers. Here are a few shots from the wedding day.

It was wonderful learning SO much about all the different aspects. Shay was incredibly approachable, informative and extremely patient for those of use that needed a little extra time. His wife, Jennifer, is the one that handles the books and much of the organization as well as set up and SOOO much more. She was amazing! Knowledgeable, just as approachable as Shay and every bit as patient and helpful. Together, they are an amazing team. It's no wonder they have such a successful business!

The first day was mainly classroom - talking about clients, booking and much more. The second day was more hands on - learning about lighting, using it and taking portraits - as well as having them taken by Shay and Jennifer. The third day was an actual wedding - performed once for each photographer (a total of 10 times for use) as well as a photoshoot in the park of the B&G.

A few quick notes before you look at the photos: I did these all on an uncalibrated machine that I *know* displays too cool so they may be too warm or off in color other ways. I also don't have PSCS to do any major PSing so ignore anything that needs to be taken out - I'll have ot do that later once I transfer everything.

The "weddings" were held in an amazing chapel in Denver last weekend. (It looks bigger than it is, but it's every bit this gorgeous!.)
189565424-M.jpg

This is Lynne (Urbanaries). She was my roomie and she was AWESOME! If you go to the gallery, you'll see several other photos of her.
189567454-M.jpg

Jennifer, Shay's wife, putting the flowers in the church. She made 4 flowers for the ends of the rows (silk) and she made the amazing flowers that the bride carried (see below - real ones!).
189565789-M.jpg

The "groom" after his "paparazzi" session. LOL! This is an example of some of the lighting that Shay taught us. I was going for something more dramatic and really liked the way this looked! (Very different from my normal style.)
189568851-M.jpg

The bride coming into the chapel (natural light - more my style)
189569973-M.jpg

Everyone else did an indoor wedding and each photographer got to be a main photographer as well as a second photographer to another one. For this shot, I was a second photographer - my wedding was outside. (I specifically requested an outdoor wedding because most of mine will be outside. I can't tell you how much I appreciate Shay allowing me to do something unplanned!) This was just as they were leaving the chapel.
189571139-M.jpg

The flowers were real - made by Jennifer, Shay's wife, the night before. (They were amazing!)
189572786-M.jpg

A total fluke - I was taking a photo of the dress on the grass and this fuzzy floated by and I didn't know it was in the shot until I got back to the hotel! (I saw it floating after the shot, but didn't know it was IN the shot!) I love the dried grass stuck in her dress. (Which was gorgeous!)
189573386-M.jpg

The B&G (it helps having models as the people you're shooting! LOL!)
189573541-L.jpg

AT the end of the wedding shoot. Unposed. She was just resting.
189575491-M.jpg

In the limo on the way to the photoshoot in the park.
189576008-M.jpg

In the park. I asked them to be natural as they wandered around towards the swings and playground. Okay, so this wasn't "natural", but it's still cool. (But you don't always get natural from models.) Hmmm, now I need to talk my brides and grooms into this! LOL!)
189577684-M.jpg

189578642-M.jpg

189579044-M.jpg

There are a ton more here: http://www.tippiepics.com/gallery/3391296/1/189563136#P-1-15

Oh, and one last shot... Here's Shay in the limo on the way to the wedding:

189563355-M.jpg

Any and all CC is always welcome!! (And don't forget - the color is probably off and I didn't PS out things yet!!)

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I was gonna say nice watermark! I thought that fuzzy thing was the dot to the i! Looking at the lighting in the chapel in the first shot I have no idea how you got that lighting in the first shot of the groom or any of the indoors for that matter. ne_nau.gif Great pictures and I'm about to go through the gallery asap! Wish I had the money to put into going to the NYC session.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited August 30, 2007
    Wonderful set of images! That must have been an amazing opportunity, working with pros like Shay and Jen and being able to ask questions and ... everything.

Good stuff and thanks for sharing,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I couldn't remember when the bootcamps were, but I've been wondering where you and Lynne have been, and it occured to me you may have been bootcamping! Yay! I'm so excited to see everyone's shots from these workshops!

What a beautiful chapel and couple you got to shoot! I love the one of her walking into the chapel (natural light), the flowers hanging against her dress (I've never seen flowers done like that!), the ring in the limo, the one of him lifting her up and the one on the swings. (They're all beautiful but those are my faves...because of light, composition, colors and conversion.) It looks like you had nice cooperative outdoor lighting! clap.gif

Can you share any tips or ideas that you learned that were new to you?

Thanks for sharing!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Hi Andi,

These are amazing photos and even though I am not a wedding photographer the Boot Camp sounded very tempting. I'm pleased to see that SM has done it again with great artists who go above and beyond to share their knowledge.

All of your B/G shots are lovely and the portrait of urbanaries is beautiful, too. thumb.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    OMG! andi, did I sign a model release for you? you're going to hear from my lawyer!!! Laughing.gif

I am so impressed with your set of photos! most of them I had already seen but a few new ones surprised me! I think you came away with some phenomenal photos, and several of which really supplement *your* unique style, which is very hard to do in a contrived situation.

I just adore 6 (couple walking out), 7 (bride's flowers) and 8 (dandelion). That dandelion shot is so *you*, it's not funny! If you ever do a business card for weddings that is the shot with you all over it.

I also think the shot of Ross lifting her up is absolutely FANTASTIC and belongs on a billboard. :jawdrop

And everyone, Andi is every bit as sweet, funny and helpful in person as she here! Thanks for putting up with me :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Amazing!!! I love them! And, yes, I agree with Lynn, Andi is every bit as sweet in person! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 30, 2007
    wonderful photos-

I'd love to go just to become a better photographer-
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Excellent work. The natural light and mood works for me. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    I was gonna say nice watermark! I thought that fuzzy thing was the dot to the i! Looking at the lighting in the chapel in the first shot I have no idea how you got that lighting in the first shot of the groom or any of the indoors for that matter. ne_nau.gif Great pictures and I'm about to go through the gallery asap! Wish I had the money to put into going to the NYC session.

Laughing.gif! I was actually about to redo my watermark (which I did) and plan on doing a brand new one soon...

The first shot is all natural. The groom shot is with flash from the balconies. Shay taught us an amazing amount about off camera flash! I can't wait to spend way too much on it! Laughing.gif!

Thanks!

ziggy wrote:
    Wonderful set of images! That must have been an amazing opportunity, working with pros like Shay and Jen and being able to ask questions and ... everything.

Good stuff and thanks for sharing,
    You're sooooo right! Thanks so much!
    Elaine wrote:
    I couldn't remember when the bootcamps were, but I've been wondering where you and Lynne have been, and it occured to me you may have been bootcamping! Yay! I'm so excited to see everyone's shots from these workshops!

What a beautiful chapel and couple you got to shoot! I love the one of her walking into the chapel (natural light), the flowers hanging against her dress (I've never seen flowers done like that!), the ring in the limo, the one of him lifting her up and the one on the swings. (They're all beautiful but those are my faves...because of light, composition, colors and conversion.) It looks like you had nice cooperative outdoor lighting! clap.gif

Can you share any tips or ideas that you learned that were new to you?

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much! I definitely did have cooperative outdoor lighting - unfortunately. Laughing.gif! I was hoping to have really bright sunshine to figure out how to deal with it, but darn the clouds and gorgeous lighting which messed that up.

I'll be happy to share some tips later! I dont' have time right now... but will be happy to when I get a moment!
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi Andi,

These are amazing photos and even though I am not a wedding photographer the Boot Camp sounded very tempting. I'm pleased to see that SM has done it again with great artists who go above and beyond to share their knowledge.

All of your B/G shots are lovely and the portrait of urbanaries is beautiful, too. thumb.gif

Thanks so much! I'm much more of a portrait photographer and this was a bit of a testing ground to see if I wanted to keep doing weddings.... And I do! I"m a bit shocked by that, but I really had a blast and hope to continue doing them from time to time!

Lynne made the photos easy - she's gorgeous!:D

Oh, shoot! I have to run! I'll respond to everyone later.

THANK YOU!
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Wow! These are amaaaaaazing. bowdown.gif

The shot of the ring in the limo is my favorite of the bunch. Fantastic composition, conversion, vignette--everything! And the shots in the playground are fantastic. It would be great if every B/G turned out to be that playful. :D
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    clap.gif These are beautiful clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Wow. I'm constantly amazed at the value of a workshop. Seeing your photos, and hearing the story about Shay's bootcamp, seeing the progress first hand that shooters make on Marc's workshops....it's truly inspiring, and I hope that more dgrinners pony up for these amazing experiences. Nothing like the total immersion that's available with pros like Shay, Marc and Andy. They're all awesome instructors.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    OMG! andi, did I sign a model release for you? you're going to hear from my lawyer!!! Laughing.gif

I am so impressed with your set of photos! most of them I had already seen but a few new ones surprised me! I think you came away with some phenomenal photos, and several of which really supplement *your* unique style, which is very hard to do in a contrived situation.

I just adore 6 (couple walking out), 7 (bride's flowers) and 8 (dandelion). That dandelion shot is so *you*, it's not funny! If you ever do a business card for weddings that is the shot with you all over it.

I also think the shot of Ross lifting her up is absolutely FANTASTIC and belongs on a billboard. :jawdrop

And everyone, Andi is every bit as sweet, funny and helpful in person as she here! Thanks for putting up with me :D
    Oh, jeez, Lynne! I'm so sorry I posted that photo. I do have others I'll post instead and I'll be waiting to hear from your lawyer! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for all the kind words! I truly was inspired by your style and the way you worked. I learned SOOO much from you! I feel very lucky to have been your roomie!!! But you kept me up way too late talking shot. eek7.gifrofl

Thanks, Lynne!
    kygarden wrote:
    Excellent work. The natural light and mood works for me. thumb.gif
    Thanks so much! I LOVE natural light! I would never do flash if it were possible!
    gefillmore wrote:
    wonderful photos-

I'd love to go just to become a better photographer-

Thanks, George! And the class is HIGHLY recommended!
    k2butter wrote:
    Amazing!!! I love them! And, yes, I agree with Lynn, Andi is every bit as sweet in person! iloveyou.gif
    LIAR! I'm really very mean, remember? ;)

Thanks, Karen!!
    Wow! These are amaaaaaazing. bowdown.gif

The shot of the ring in the limo is my favorite of the bunch. Fantastic composition, conversion, vignette--everything! And the shots in the playground are fantastic. It would be great if every B/G turned out to be that playful. :D

Thank you so much! I was really happy with that shot - I love how the stitching on the seat showed up. Thanks!
    clap.gif These are beautiful clap.gif

Thank you, Awais!
    Wow. I'm constantly amazed at the value of a workshop. Seeing your photos, and hearing the story about Shay's bootcamp, seeing the progress first hand that shooters make on Marc's workshops....it's truly inspiring, and I hope that more dgrinners pony up for these amazing experiences. Nothing like the total immersion that's available with pros like Shay, Marc and Andy. They're all awesome instructors.
    thumb.gif I completely agree! Worth it for sure!!
  • Options
    ArnicaArnica Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I love your work. It's amazing ! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    Oh, jeez, Lynne! I'm so sorry I posted that photo. I do have others I'll post instead and I'll be waiting to hear from your lawyer! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for all the kind words! I truly was inspired by your style and the way you worked. I learned SOOO much from you! I feel very lucky to have been your roomie!!! But you kept me up way too late talking shot. eek7.gifrofl

oh whatever! You took the greatest portraits of me since my wedding day, and we all know how that turned out! rolleyes1.gifcheck out my new avatar, clearly I'm super excited! Thank you!!!

And for the record, I am not the one who always said, "hey, you want to get another round?" friday.gif (that's me on the right, the one without the "mile high" tolerance.)
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    oh whatever! You took the greatest portraits of me since my wedding day, and we all know how that turned out! rolleyes1.gifcheck out my new avatar, clearly I'm super excited! Thank you!!!

And for the record, I am not the one who always said, "hey, you want to get another round?" friday.gif (that's me on the right, the one without the "mile high" tolerance.)
    rolleyes1.gif Lightweight!!!

I love your new avatar! Who did it? One of the best photos I've ever SEEN!!!rolleyes1.gif

(Although, I have to admit I have another I like better, but I haven't downloaded it to my home machine yet....)
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Wow! Gorgeous work!
  • Options
    Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Wow...these are all just amazing!!! Great job Andi =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 30, 2007
    Lovely work, Andi!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    That was freakin amazing and just ridiculously awesome. Please tell Shay to come to Houston. I would love to be one of his students down here in Southeast Texas. Man those are wonderful!clap.gif

I wanted to attend his class, but had a conflict.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Andi...
    You've left me speachless. How magnificent of an opportunity.....but most of all....how wonderful your shots are and love the light. Oh, how I've been wanting to go to Shay's seminar.....I didn't quite know what the particulars were but because of your willing spirit, you've showed us so much. These are really really great shots. You got to room with Lynne too?? Now how great is that? Two great eyes in one place! Super job...I'm very happy for you!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    OffTopic wrote:
    Wow! Gorgeous work!
    Thank you so much!
    Cuties02q wrote:
    Wow...these are all just amazing!!! Great job Andi =)
    Thanks!! I really appreciate it. It was a blast
    pathfinder wrote:
    Lovely work, Andi!
    Thank you very much, Pathfinder!
    Seneca wrote:
    That was freakin amazing and just ridiculously awesome. Please tell Shay to come to Houston. I would love to be one of his students down here in Southeast Texas. Man those are wonderful!clap.gif

I wanted to attend his class, but had a conflict.
    If you ever become "unconflicted", definitely think about it. Very worthwhile!

Thanks so much for those kinds words!

(As a side note, I lived in Houston for a year. I have NO clue how you deal with the heat - but the people there are awesome!)
    Swartzy wrote:
    You've left me speachless. How magnificent of an opportunity.....but most of all....how wonderful your shots are and love the light. Oh, how I've been wanting to go to Shay's seminar.....I didn't quite know what the particulars were but because of your willing spirit, you've showed us so much. These are really really great shots. You got to room with Lynne too?? Now how great is that? Two great eyes in one place! Super job...I'm very happy for you!
    Wow! Thank you SO much! To have left someone speachless is quite amazing.

Rooming with Lynne was definitely one of the many highlights of the trip! We had a blast together.... Now if only I can get her to Crested Butte to live!

Thank you so much, everyone! I'm so floored at all the wonderful comments. Thanks again.
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Such amazing photos! This bootcamp was so so tempting but I just had too much going on, and from your description I really wish I could have worked it in :)
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Wow, what an amazing series of shots, thank you for sharing and glad you had such a good time, wonderful stuff.

Charlie
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Andi,

These photos are simple (or not so simple) examples of why I live in awe of your photography. Simply stunning - even that picture of Lynne rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2007
    Andi,

These photos are simple (or not so simple) examples of why I live in awe of your photography. Simply stunning - even that picture of Lynne rolleyes1.gif

HA! she is indeed talented if she can make me that beautiful!!!

"Better than real", for sure! mwink.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    I saw these and the gallery yesterday. They are each and all beautifully done. Really incredible. Today I took time to read all the posts, and think that there might be a story here that hasn't been told. Is this a case of "what happens at boot camp stays at boot camp"? :nono

Hah! Sounds like the two of you had a great time.....and the photos are very impressive!
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Was waiting to see these!
    Wow! Wow! Wow! How am I every going to wait the two weeks for the San Diego Bootcamp now? Amazing photography. oh boy oh boy oh boy.....these are jsut great. Thanks for sharing and pumping up the anticipation....Nik, are your bags packed yet?
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    I'm loving the "leaving the chapel" image and the natural light shot with her coming down the hall. Beautiful feel in both of them!
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007