Options

More shots from Boot Camp...

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited September 4, 2007 in Weddings
At the risk of being upstaged by Andi, I thought y'all might find it interesting how different our takes on essentially the same situation were. It's a testament to the workshop itself that we were able to leverage our own styles and not be forced into a cookie cutter type of situation.

Shay and Jennifer were AMAZING. I always knew working with and meeting Shay would be great, but I had no idea his right-hand-woman would be one of the greatest ladies I've ever met! She was the creative energy behind all the details of the wedding day, and made life easy for us photographers, and it's no wonder Shay keeps her around.

the model asked to change in our room after the day was done and I jumped at the opportunity to get some getting ready shots, even though they were getting "un-ready" shots! :hide

189645635-L-1.jpg

2. (that's Andi helping her) :)
189645289-L-1.jpg

189645669-L-1.jpg

189644803-L-1.jpg

5. (Anyone know the number to "silhouette addicts anonymous?")
189639845-L.jpg

6. The ceremony was lit by off camera flash. One in the balcony and one bounced off the side of the room. They were so far away from the altar you didn't notice them going off AT ALL, but given this shot was taken at f7.1, they were *clearly* going off!
189635490-L.jpg

189641919-L.jpg

8. The first time Scott Quier's "kiss tutorial" actually worked for me! They were such pros, they knew exactly what I wanted out of them. I love how her lipstick is on his bottom lip! :wink
189635282-L.jpg

9. She was so gorgeous, it hurt your eyes!!!
189635401-L.jpg

10. And if you go to Shay's workshop, it wouldn't be right to come away without a pano crop. 189645747-L.jpg

hope you enjoy! C&C definitely welcome! Now, if my brides would just go to modeling school....:rofl

ETA: The rest can be found here! http://www.lynnehulbert.com/gallery/3392232 Feel free to comment as there is no "client" to care otherwise! :)
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Wow! that is amazing how different both of your pictures are! That is really cool!!!! I LOVE LOVELOVE number 3 of yours...that is just a fabulous photo!!! clap.gif

Thank you for sharing!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 30, 2007
    some really neat pics-
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    #7 is quite unusual - I really like it.

That must have been very tough lighting - the shadows and sun look several stops apart! Nice job on the balance! What was your thought process when you saw that?

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    eek7.gif Beautiful
    Now i am worried how will my marriage photos come out. Anyone free in around 2015 or so headscratch.gif.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    :jawdrop

I have no words! I knew you were a fantastic wedding photog before but these are stunning.

I'm going to sit here quietly and gawk at the first photo some more.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I'm just floored by the last shot! I know how much you wanted it, but were frustrated by some of the results. This is just stunning! I LOVE the roots! I love the lighting! I love the crop! Amazing!!!

Just so elegant and such a graceful set of images! Gorgeous! (Okay, I still have a long way to go to learn from Lynne! :D)
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Beautiful shots, now i know why i don't want to even attempt wedding photography bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Another stunning set!!! The bootcamp certainly appears to have given you all great "stuff" to work with, but you and Andi are really showing off your skills in this department! clap.gifwings.gif Again, I really like all of them, but my faves are 1, 3, 4, 7, 10...of the ones you showed here. Gor-ge-ous!!!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Good God. I am never, ever going to attempt wedding photography. This is way too humbling! bowdown.gif

1 and 4 are my faves, but 1 is the cream of the crop for me. The lighting and composition are breathtaking. I never thought I could feel such emotion from a dress--sans bride! clap.gif
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    great bunch of shots, I think i will attend a future boot camp...
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Wow! More amazing work, and really interesting to see two different viewpoints from you and Andi. Some of these shots just blow me away.
  • Options
    Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Wow Lynne these are stunning =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 30, 2007
    Very nice set of images, Lynne.

Looks like the Boot Camp was just great!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    k2butter wrote:
    I LOVE LOVELOVE number 3 of yours...that is just a fabulous photo!!!

Thanks Karen! I really like that photo, too. The shadows were kinda funky, and I completely "erased" the undereye folds, hopefully it doesn't look too "fake".
    gefillmore wrote:
    some really neat pics-

Thanks George! --- ()
    zanotti wrote:
    #7 is quite unusual - I really like it.

That must have been very tough lighting - the shadows and sun look several stops apart! Nice job on the balance! What was your thought process when you saw that?

Thanks! It is a little dark on the left....I took one that exposed for them (w/ sky blown out), and one that exposed for the awesome blue sky. I just liked this one better...
    Beautiful
    Now i am worried how will my marriage photos come out. Anyone free in around 2015 or so .

Thanks Awais! being a fabulous photographer yourself, I'm sure you know many who would be worthy! but if all else fails, look me up for sure!
    schmooo wrote:
    I'm going to sit here quietly and gawk at the first photo some more.

aw, shucks, schmooo! I am so glad that first shot moved you so. I am considering using it for my new business cards? (I keep saying that....then I take more and never decide...meanwhile no wedding cards! Laughing.gif)
    I'm just floored by the last shot! I know how much you wanted it, but were frustrated by some of the results. This is just stunning! I LOVE the roots! I love the lighting! I love the crop! Amazing!!!

Just so elegant and such a graceful set of images! Gorgeous! (Okay, I still have a long way to go to learn from Lynne! )

Just so everyone knows, we each had 10 minutes with the couple in the park. I took the whole time trying to get one shot with the off camera flash in a "lord of the rings" style, meanwhile in 10 minutes Andi got something like 100 shots of the two of them frolicking in the playground looking gorgeous! This particular one is with natural light only, at minute 9 Shay basically told me I had better give up and shoot ambient if I wanted anything at all! (He's smart~!)

And I learned a TON from you too Andi, wow! Thanks for the encouragement!
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Beautiful shots, now i know why i don't want to even attempt wedding photograph

Thanks Marina! Laughing.gif there's a reason why I don't post pics from my first few weddings.....we all have to start somewhere! they were awful! :puke1
    elaine wrote:
    I really like all of them, but my faves are 1, 3, 4, 7, 10...of the ones you showed here. Gor-ge-ous!!!

Wow, thanks Elaine!! I'm glad my personal faves (1, 3, 4, 10) are going over so well....it's good to be back! iloveyou.gif

llywellyn wrote:
    Good God. I am never, ever going to attempt wedding photography. This is way too humbling! bowdown.gif

1 and 4 are my faves, but 1 is the cream of the crop for me. The lighting and composition are breathtaking. I never thought I could feel such emotion from a dress--sans bride! clap.gif

Wow, what a humbling compliment, that is so amazing! The whole goal is evoking the emotion and I never expected the dress alone to do that for someone. Thanks for commenting! I have to give props to Andi for brilliantly hanging the dress from the curtain valance.

And thanks Gridrunner, OffTopic, Stephenie and Pathfinder for your comments! I'm truly humbled by the reception here! iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Well Lynne
    You done it again! Awesome work...simply awesome. My goodness, the closeup of B&G.....Fantastic! Naturally I'm green with envy wanting to attend Shay's seminar...but am very excited for you....bet you learned tons of stuff to use on the very next wedding. You've floored me! Most excellent!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I have to give props to Andi for brilliantly hanging the dress from the curtain valance.

It took me HOURS to hang it JUST SO. And I'm sure that if I hadn't been there, the photo never would have happened.

NOT!

Just call me Lynne's personal assistant dress hanger. I'd be proud! :D
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
    edited August 31, 2007
    Lynne, these are just stunning! clap.gifthumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    DJTHEMACDJTHEMAC Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    7 & 9 are fantastic!

Great set! :D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    These are simply stunning. I'm so glad, after all the work you put into it, that you got these amazing results.

Oh, and BTW, the "Kiss Tutorial" I put together is something that I plagiarized from someone else - I just don't remember where I got the initial idea.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2007
    Thanks, Swartzy, David and DJ! Awesome feedback, for sure! iloveyou.gif
    These are simply stunning. I'm so glad, after all the work you put into it, that you got these amazing results.

Oh, and BTW, the "Kiss Tutorial" I put together is something that I plagiarized from someone else - I just don't remember where I got the initial idea.

Thanks, Scott! When are we going to see yours???

And as far as the kiss tute, it doesn't matter who started it, but who made it famous!? mwink.gif Thanks for enlightening us all!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Very nice....as always!! It looks like you two had a very productive boot camp. I have decided to hire you if I ever need to be remarried. Luckily, my wife still sees fit to keep me around.

BTW, I am still tossing ideas around on how to get you back for the reply you made to my comment on a pair of feet last week.headscratch.gif

I have a little something I am going to spring on you when you least expect it.(hah)

Also, you inspired me to make it a mission to do some cross processed type PP, and with a hint you dropped and lightroom I was able to get a result I like....so thank you.

My 580EX comes today. Does that mean my eyes will begin to look like yours?
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    I'm really surprised by the difference in shots.
    clap.gif

I would now like to see any pics that Shay may have took of this same wedding. mwink.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Absolutely stunning! #1 & 2 are my fav's because of the lighting. Gorgeous!
  • Options
    phi75phi75 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    nice work!
    number 6 is superb!!
    what kind of light did you used?
    leave a note, when she'll get divorce.
    always nice to give a hand to a desperate woman :D
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Lynne, I am just blown away!!! These are wonderful and I'm so thrilled for you and Andi and all the others who were able to experience Shay's Workshop. What a great boost to your portfolio and your business...man, what a gorgeous bride she is! eek7.gif I love the whole gallery, but I do like the silhouette shots, the dress and the "kiss" shots are great, realllllly great!!! I wondered why the People forum was so quiet this past week! Welcome back ...oh, and I love your new portraits by Andi, too! clap.gif
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Hi Lynne!

As I told Andi on her post, you and her are both personal favourites of mine.

Your work is amazing, especially (IMHO) your B&W work!

I think 1, 3, 4, 7 and 10 are way way way way WAY great pictures, really. Each of them has literally blown me away.

Thanks so much for sharing the love!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Lynne,
    Gorgeous, gorgeous! clap.gif
    Thank you so much for sharing! thumb.gif
    #4 - totally rocks! bowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"