keywords not saving properly

J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited October 22, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Is there a reason why when I add a keyword to a picture, i.e. yosemite, landscape, "black & white", whatever, etc., that once I click "save", sometimes the keyword(s) don't save and aren't there below the picture? I then have to click add again and the keywords suddenly appear in the edit window as I had entered, and once I click "save" again, they often appear as I wrote them. Sometimes I have to do this trick 2-3 times for it to save.

Is this a bug somewhere or should I ignore this nuisance?

Thanks.
John "J.T."
http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    J.T. wrote:
    Is there a reason why when I add a keyword to a picture, i.e. yosemite, landscape, "black & white", whatever, etc., that once I click "save", sometimes the keyword(s) don't save and aren't there below the picture? I then have to click add again and the keywords suddenly appear in the edit window as I had entered, and once I click "save" again, they often appear as I wrote them. Sometimes I have to do this trick 2-3 times for it to save.

Is this a bug somewhere or should I ignore this nuisance?

Thanks.
    I just went thru the same thing. Found I could edit one and save then go to
    the next and edit and save. None of them seemed saved at the time. But
    refreshing the page and the changes were there.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    I just went thru the same thing. Found I could edit one and save then go to
    the next and edit and save. None of them seemed saved at the time. But
    refreshing the page and the changes were there.

I thought the same thing & tried the same thing, but when I went back to some photos later in the day, they hadn't saved.
    John "J.T."

Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    the same here, editing and saving keywords under a photo often takes more than 5 tries before the keywords are saved.

Luc
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    the same here, editing and saving keywords under a photo often takes more than 5 tries before the keywords are saved.

Luc
    I just recently tried it and went photo to photo adding keywords. None
    showed when hitting save, but refreshing page and they all showed.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited September 10, 2007
    why refresh
    I see your points Allen with refreshing but why should you have to refresh after you hit save? Isn't that the whole point of the save function? I don't mean to be sarcastic but when I hit save, I want it to save the first time; not hit save 5+ times sometimes or refresh so it will save and take! I emailed smugmug support last week and they said to use the bulk function for adding to solve the problem. Well that doesn't solve the problem either, since it appears that when you add several keywords to bulk save and one of them includes quotes (i.e. "black & white") it automatically places quotes around the entire keyword box, like this: "landscape, water, yosemite, black, white" INSTEAD of landscape, water, yosemite, black white. Isn't there a way to update and fix this nuisance or let someone know in tech support for smug? It sounds like more of a minor nuisance than I experienced! Thanks.
    John "J.T."

Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

SB 600

• dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    Browser vs smugmug
    J.T. wrote:
    I see your points Allen with refreshing but why should you have to refresh after you hit save? Isn't that the whole point of the save function? I don't mean to be sarcastic but when I hit save, I want it to save the first time; not hit save 5+ times sometimes or refresh so it will save and take! ... Thanks.
    John

When you hit save, you send a command to Smugmug. Smugmug changes the data available for display. But your web browser wants to save you connection bandwidth and continues to show you the pre-save page view. When you hit refresh, you tell your browser that you know that there is newer data on the current page and it should go back to Smugmug to get the new image of the page to replace the old image in local cache memory. Until you get a browser that knows how to eavesdrop on your Smugmug keystrokes or you disable caching, you will have to tell your browser that you know better.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
    edited September 11, 2007
    dbd wrote:
    John

When you hit save, you send a command to Smugmug. Smugmug changes the data available for display. But your web browser wants to save you connection bandwidth and continues to show you the pre-save page view. When you hit refresh, you tell your browser that you know that there is newer data on the current page and it should go back to Smugmug to get the new image of the page to replace the old image in local cache memory. Until you get a browser that knows how to eavesdrop on your Smugmug keystrokes or you disable caching, you will have to tell your browser that you know better.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com

Well that explains it a lot better for me, thanks Dale! I see why refresh should work and not just hitting save.
    John "J.T."

Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

SB 600

• darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    This is bogus.

Editing captions, gallery descriptions, etc. using similar AJAX widgets don't seem to exhibit this problem.

I've (in)consistently seen the problem with the AJAX keywords interface. I think it's buggy.

--Darryl
  • RandoRando Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    I'm having the same problem as the original poster.
    Refreshing doesn't work for me.
    I've tried logging out and logging back in.
    I've tried using a different browser.
    I've tried adding keywords to existing photos in existing galleries.
    I've tried uploading new photos to a new gallery with iPhoto's keywords (I'm uploading from iPhoto with aarone's latest uploader plugin)
    I've tried uploading new photos to a new gallery and then manually editing keywords.

When I hit "edit", I can see the keywords (whether from iPhoto or manually entered) but when I hit save, it's not there.

All of my existing keywords are there. New keywords aren't taking. WTF?
    edited October 21, 2007
    Well this is interesting.

When manually adding, if I put quotes around a keyword, it takes (even with just a single word). Remove the quotes, and then it doesn't take. Put the quotes back in, then it takes. But it's all still there in the dialog box when you hit "add".
    edited October 21, 2007
    Well looks like my keywords are ignored, they had numbers at the end.
    Damn these gotchas!
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags
    edited October 22, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    I'm having the same problem as the original poster.
    Refreshing doesn't work for me.
    I've tried logging out and logging back in.
    I've tried using a different browser.
    I've tried adding keywords to existing photos in existing galleries.
    I've tried uploading new photos to a new gallery with iPhoto's keywords (I'm uploading from iPhoto with aarone's latest uploader plugin)
    I've tried uploading new photos to a new gallery and then manually editing keywords.

When I hit "edit", I can see the keywords (whether from iPhoto or manually entered) but when I hit save, it's not there.

Hey Rando, I still experience frequent problems with this and with all that people say, the problem still persists! I even tried logging out, closing the browser, re-setting the cache and relogging in and the problem still occurs; the text is there but won't save and display whether I log in or I view my smug site as a visitor. I wish someone at smugmug would take this more seriously as it seems to be a problem with more than a few people. I wish I coul dhelp you too, but I had the same problem a few days ago in a different gallery of mine that I was trying to save keywords. ne_nau.gif
    John "J.T."

Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

SB 600

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Rando wrote:

Gallery and photo link please? ear.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    darryl wrote:
    I've (in)consistently seen the problem with the AJAX keywords interface. I think it's buggy.

--Darryl
    Darryl, what browser, what gallery, and exactly what happens when this happens? We need details in order to reproduce, thanks.
    edited October 22, 2007
    I think the mystery is solved for me at least. Some of the keywords I was trying to use get ignored because of leading/ending numbers, i.e. "vacation2007" and "week24" would get totally ignored using the iPhoto plugin. It would also get ignored entering in manually unless I put quotes around it.

Although ignored, it would still show up in the dialog box for when I edit keywords.